Quantcast

Need help picking a new hub.

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
I’m in the market for a new rear hub. The bike is mostly used for dirt jumping and street riding. I was looking to get a single speed hub but I still haven’t decided for sure if that’s they way I want to go. I just wanted to get some recommendations of hubs that are light, cheap and very indestructible.

Ruckus_Lord

Chimp
Dec 16, 2005
The land down under
If price isn't much of an option, my vote goes for Profile, i currently use one, and have for the past 6 months, i can't find a fault in it to be honest, it runs smooth, has 48 engagement points which is more than enough, weighs in at about 350grams with help from its aluminium shell, which was a suprise to me at 1st, judging by it's beefyness and 6 sealed japanese bearings (not 100% sure about that as a fact though), i was expecting 450+. And on top of that they look bling and sound sick! The only thing i have to pick with them is they don't make a version with a 14mm axle, so i just got the 3/8 (10mm) hub and ran 14mm adapters on it and it goes poifect!

And, if you team it up with a Ti axle/Driver and Nuts and you got yourself one mean ass hub!!!

As for price, if you buy direct from www.profileracing.com i think it comes to about $260USD, or there abouts?

bkbassplayr

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Columbia, Maryland
Yea, I'm in the market as well, and am definately going Profile. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and yes, they certainly do look bling.

Other than that, you really can't go wrong with Chris King, if you want to put up the money for it. I've heard some good things about Paul as well, and they aren't as expensive...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
If you are looking for "light, cheap, and indestructible" get the woodman single speed hub. I ran one for 2 years riding dj/street/park nearly everyday, and never had a single problem. They are diffinately cheap, and indestructible.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What size? 135mm mountain or 110mm BMX? I'm assumming it's 135mm. Hope Pro IIs are nice and not ridiculously expensive, but honestly for DJ/street I'd go Profile.

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
I'll second all the Woodman SS hub motions - I've been running it just shy of two years and it's given me no trouble whatsover.

That being said, I'm consolidating most everything that I own right now and going for one or two really bling items in each category - so I'm looking to lace Profiles to a nice set of rims.

You really can't go wrong with either

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'll throw in a vote for the new Atomlab Aircorp SS. Just picked it up. It's light and loud as F!!! But, it's a one cog thread on. So, not much adjustment for chainline. (old version was 400 grams, but I think this might be lighter).

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
I'll throw in a vote for the new Atomlab Aircorp SS. Just picked it up. It's light and loud as F!!! But, it's a one cog thread on. So, not much adjustment for chainline. (old version was 400 grams, but I think this might be lighter).
where did you get the atomlab aircrop ss? and how much did you get if for?

thanks for the help.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
where did you get the atomlab aircrop ss? and how much did you get if for?

thanks for the help.
Chainreactioncycles.com. Got a complete wheelset, Aircorp Hubs (SS/20mm thru), laced to Mavic 721s for about $450. Looks like they have the rear Aircorp SS for $185. Free shipping to US on any order over about $290.