Quantcast

Need Help Please (Trek 6000) ?

muskratt

Chimp
Apr 30, 2007
I am new to riding. I have been looking at getting a bike for awhile. I am 34, 190lbs and 5'11. Last time I rode was bmx when I was a kid. The bike I am looking at is the Trek 6000 . It seems to be a good starter bike and price is right in my range. Was looking for any feed back on this bike.

I am looking to use bike for local riding with wife and kids and when I travel my co worker likes to hit some trails. I am not sure how far I will want to get into the MTB scene but figure this would be a good start and I could trade up later if I get more into it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
is this bike going to be brand new or are you buying it used? Trek makes good bikes - the 6000 is one of there lower end models so you may find it to have a few problems due to the cheaper components. I would pass on the bike if your looking at a used one - as a beginner you really should buy something from a shop. They will make sure the bike fits you correctly and alot of times help you out with general "fixes" that you will need later.

Hope this helps a little - welcome to the monkey

The 6000 isnt a bad bike at all, none of treks bikes are. I have a liquid 65 full suspension and love it. I think you would be happy with this bike, and all the components are upgradable. You best bet is to goto your local bike shop and ask them if they have any demo bikes. these are bikes you can take for a weekend and play around with them in hopes that you like and will buy a bike identical or similar to it. If they dont have demo bikes, just go in there and test ride the heck out of them. Good Luck!

Old_Dude

Monkey
Many years ago I became reintroduced to mountain biking by obtaining an inexpensive bike (Trek 4500). At the time, I knew nothing of component quality - all I knew was that it looked almost identical to another hard tail that cost four times as much.

So, I bought it and began riding it like crazy. I had no idea it was heavy and had crappy components - I was just having the time of my life.

Of course, as I became more serious about the sport I naturally upgraded to a "real" mountain bike, but that's not my point. You can still have a boatload of fun on an inexpensive bike - if you're new and can't appreciate the difference a more expensive bike offers anyway.