Quantcast

Need help plz

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
I went and busted my damn shifter today. Any one know where to get a good deal on a decent shifter. Also, since I'm going to change that, I was thinking of changing my Rear Derailer. My question on that is, will a road derailer work? I like the short cage. Or if you know of a MTB short cage derailer? I dont wanna spend a whole lot, I seem to break my derailer and shifters 3 or 4 times a year. I think the derailer Gods dont like me:think:
Thanks in advance for your help, Josh

G

Gutty

i heard of someone(maybe pezzo or c2001 but not sure) using a road type(ultegra i think) derailler on a DS bike but i think you have to use the matching sprocket cluster aswell.

G

gravity

quite a lot of "amateur" riders round here (as in privately funded non-pro riders......duh) use road derailleurs, normally 105s or Dura-Ace with the matching clusters.....they're strong enough alright, and they're very precise. never seen an Ultegra, but Dura-Ace and 105 are quite common.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Check Shimano's European website. www.shimano.com. It has better info and will tell you what size cogs a road derailleur will go to. I do know that both XTR and 9.0SL come in shorter caged versions. They're intended I think for those running double or single front rings, but they'll work with triples too. My recollection is that the largest rear cog a Shimano road derailleur is said by Shimano to handle is a 27 tooth. I've run a 28 with an older 105 with zero problems though.

G

grommet

I use a XT short cage. It has been great since day one. 3 broken hangers and longer cage deraillieurs in 6 months prior to this one. So far no problems. Most guys I know who are abusive on deraillieurs will use a road specific one. Next time I'll try one out.

G

Gutty

Originally posted by partsbara
105 rear der.... 11 - 30 cassette.. works a treat, much better than the lx which disintergrated half way down moab rim

later
partsbara
G'day Aussiestrap. Welcome aboard.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
XT and XTR are available with short cages. Road derailleurs work well. I've even seen someone put a short road cage on a Deore derailleur body. Kinda cool...

So, any of those things should work.