Quantcast

need help with yakima rack

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
anyone in seattle area who is capable of (properly) installing my roof rack (just the towers and bars) for beer or cash? will drive to you. please pm me. thanks, scott

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i believe that a sporting goods store like GI Joes will install it for like $75 bucks ish.... im not sure though so call them up, but somehow i remember them offering that service

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
All subtlety aside, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to install them yourself. I put mine on my Subaru myself, took less than an hour. And while sometimes an uncharateristic trait for us men...they do come with directions that you can read that make it even easier.

So unless you are afraid that your bikes will blow off the top after your self install job, install them yourself and then drink the beer offering yourself, You'll be much more satisfied!:)

Edit... GI Joes is ripping people off if they seriously charge $75 for that!

GmotoT

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Portland
Are you on the eastside, or "in" Seattle? i'll help out... I just put my thule rack on. It's simple, just a pain.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
riverside73 said:
All subtlety aside, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to install them yourself. I put mine on my Subaru myself, took less than an hour. And while sometimes an uncharateristic trait for us men...they do come with directions that you can read that make it even easier.

i figured someone would respond like this. yeah i put it on my other car and had the proper dimensions from yakima. the problems started once it was on with my sportworks installed and bikes put on and the q towers came loose. so my thinking is that if i get someone to assist that has more experience i can hopefully avoid any issues on my new car. but maybe yakima racks just suck. whatever the case, all subtlety aside, kiss my rocket scientist ass.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
GmotoT said:
Are you on the eastside, or "in" Seattle? i'll help out... I just put my thule rack on. It's simple, just a pain.

thanks. i'm in seattle but head east to ride and sometimes for work. i'll pm you my info.

May 25, 2006
scotteric said:
riverside73 said:

i figured someone would respond like this. yeah i put it on my other car and had the proper dimensions from yakima. the problems started once it was on with my sportworks installed and bikes put on and the q towers came loose. so my thinking is that if i get someone to assist that has more experience i can hopefully avoid any issues on my new car. but maybe yakima racks just suck. whatever the case, all subtlety aside, kiss my rocket scientist ass.

Yakima makes a great high quality product, so i'd be willing to bet it was user error. :) The main thing is to set up the towers equadistance from the bar ends and then when tightening the towers down, only turn the screw a little bit on each side. It will take a while to move from side to side, but it's key that you get them to have equal tension.

If I was in Seattle I'd lend you a hand. :)

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
scotteric said:
riverside73 said:
but maybe yakima racks just suck.
They do kind of suck. I have been happy with mine that I have had for a few years. But in the fall I was in the market for rooftop box, and hands down for quality, easy installation and price....Thule all the way.

If you already have a pre-existing roof rack, Thule is a lot more user-friendly about attaching to the existing rack. Yakima makes you buy all the parts to go over and around the existing rack.

OK, I'm done. Hopefully I didn't offend...just being a smart ass!