Quantcast

need help!

first off, I ride a 17" soul cycles hardline with a 5" 2001 z.1. I'm 200lbs and ride agro-xc, street, and mild DH. I rode this bike at whistler and it was awesome. i could not get the front end up into a manual for the life if me. the fork felt liek it was sucking up all of my energy as i'd pull up. i was contemplating stiffer springs. anyway i was just dicking around in tha garage and decided on a more compact drivetrain; went from 32-18, down to a 22-12, i kept almost the same ratio: ~1.8:1. this also shortened my chain stays by almost 3/4 of an inch. this didnt help nearly as much as i thought it would. i swapped my 5" z.1 for a 4" z.5 and put my CX wheel on it, and instantly i had no issues gettign the front end up, i tried it with a 26" wheel i had laying around (the z.5 is reg. qr, z.1 qr20) and it still rode way better than with the z.1. my question is this: do i put the 4" spring kit in my z.1 or get stiffer 5" springs for it? on another note, i want to get a 29" front wheel for my bike, it'll fit in my z.1 with the right tire, but what rim should i use? it would only see road and XC riding, and would be laced to a diatech swinger hub for use on a rigid fork if needed.

any thoughts, e-speculation would be great

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
In regard to your issue with getting the front end of the bike up for drops and tech sections... what is you bar and stem set-up? I would suggest a shorter stem to help with lifting the front (as long as you can deal with a shorter cockpit). I ride a 70mm stem on my tuff trail bike, a 90mm on my XC bike. I can't stand a longer stem than 90mm for any use.

a 2001 Z1 is a pretty good old fork - what specific problems are you having with it? bottoming out? Or it's just too plush/soft for your weight?

-rob in NY

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
At 200 pounds you shouldn't be riding the stock spring in any fork. Stiffer 5" springs are the way to go. Maybe back off the rebound damping if you have that adjustment, and/or use a lighter weight oil.
I don't understand what your gearing has to do with chainstay length. I take it you've got horizontal drops so why not just shorten the chain to move the wheel forward? Or slam it all the way in and use some sort of chain tensioner.
Even though your gear is super-low, a 12 tooth is gonna put more stress on your chain, increasing wear-rate and possibility of breaking.
Take the 29" wheel off the bike now.
[(Heavy you + soft springs = bottoming out) + 29" front wheel] = underside of crown hits top of tire = bike stops instantly, you don't
A 24" rear wheel makes pulling-up manuals much easier.

i have stock springs, and the compression cranked down on both sides, it's just too soft for me i think. the axel is slid all the way forward, and it works alot better now. because of the compression damping, i havn't really bottomed the fork out (at least not too often) but the top 3" is all mushy. and there is no 29er on there now, i'll build one up when i get a 29" rigid fork (hopefully soon), no one seesm to have one they want to part with

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
well since your fork is soft for me (150 lbs), I suggest getting stiffer springs so your fork isn't absorbing everything. When I get 24's you should try out a 24/26 set up to see how you like it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Your fork or wheel size shouldnt really have anything to do with a manual. Stiffer springs wont help you manual either.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sven tha Viking said:
the fork just seems so soft that it absorbs all the energy i use to pull the bike up.
How can a fork absorb the energy of you pulling up? It compresses, it doesnt expand and pull you back to the ground or anything. I dont understand what exactly you mean. The fork being soft will in no way affect your ability to do a manual.

:confused:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sven tha Viking said:
the fork is so soft that it sags too much into the travel (well over an inch) i think this may be the issue, it doesnt rebound fast enough maybe? any thoughts?
That doesnt really matter because as soon as you take your weight off the fork to do a manual, the fork's travel is irrelevant. Your fork is not the issue here.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Maybe the excessive sag in the fork creates too much foreward weight bias and makes it hard to get the front end up. A 24" rear wheel WILL make pulling up easier.
Don't listen to BS here. I don't think he can manual anyway. Most people that can, will use "manual" as the verb, not: "to do a manual." Reread my post Sven, and don't let me catch you with that 29er up front again.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeff 151 said:
Maybe the excessive sag in the fork creates too much foreward weight bias and makes it hard to get the front end up. A 24" rear wheel WILL make pulling up easier.
Don't listen to BS here. I don't think he can manual anyway. Most people that can, will use "manual" as the verb, not: "to do a manual." Reread my post Sven, and don't let me catch you with that 29er up front again.
:rolleyes: amazing you can tell my riding ability from my verbage. Your excessive sag argument is about as logical as your grammar-to-skills ratio one too. Which Im finding is a trend with you. But listen, a fork sagging an inch or so into its travel rides at the same height as a fork with one inch less travel, right? So pulling back on it is going to have the same result regardless. Its not like its going to make it harder since the fork is decompressing or something.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
It is amazing isn't it. But I'll agree this guy can't blame his fork for his non-manualing. Even though a 5" Z1 with stock spring is gonna sag more than one inch under his 200 pounds. Foreward weight bias is created as much or more by handlebar/stem. Sven can you wheelie? I spent years getting my wheelie in effect before I could manual a darn.