Quantcast

need input on new frame

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
Right now I'm runnin' an '05 A-line with a pretty decent build. A little issue I'm having is that the bike is a tank. It's really heavy(47lbs). The frame and shock(Roco WC) weighs in right at 14lbs. It is a nice, stout frame, but waaay overbuilt...imho. I was thinking of switching to a SC Bullit - a lot lighter, more versatile, but still strong enough - and enough travel to handle the big stuff. What do you guys think? Any other frames that might fit my needs? I'd really appreciate any input.......

I just built this bike a couple of months ago and have only ridden it a few times. Do you think I can just maybe take a few pounds off it and learn how to handle it better?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the bullet is a fun bike, actually my favorite bike in the santa cruz line behind the blur 4x. i rode one in downieville once when my friend rented one. it had a totem up front and dhx coil in the back, and it felt really nice. it's a very light frame, and it pretty stiff too. it didn't feel as good as some other bikes at high speed, but it was one of the better all arounders i've ridden, it was a good bike in all areas.

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
...it didn't feel as good as some other bikes at high speed, but it was one of the better all arounders i've ridden,....
is there a better all-arounder out there? I have a couple buddies that ride an Uzzi. I'd go with one of those but can't afford it. Is that even an all-arounder?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the uzzi can be considered an all arounder, but it wouldn't be my first choice. it's a little heavy, at least it was when i tested it at the 06 sea otter. if intense refined it to make it lighter, than it might be able to compete with other offerings. i'm riding a large SX trail right now and although i used to hate on specialized a lot and never really liked some of their previous bikes, the geometry and ride on the sxt are just dialed. it climbs better than most 5.5 inch travel bikes, it may bob more, but the traction is great and it never wheelies around. i'm going to be refining my build on it pretty soon, like new brakes and fork, but i don't think i could ask for much more in a bike. there are a lot of good all arounders though, it really depends on your price range and your riding style.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
What are you using the bike for mostly? As always I will say a Bottlerocket if you are playing around and doing more FR park stuff, it's just an incredibly fun platform. If you climbing and XCing the bullit or the SXT would probably be a better choice.

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
Right now, I am just using it for FR and some DH. I am looking for a bike in the 35-40lb. range that can handle any drop AND any DH trails. A few years back, I had an '04 BigHit with a Jr.T and 6-way that came in right at 39lbs. That was an awesome bike. I was looking to build another bike like that one when I got the a-line frame.
BTW, how much travel does a Bottlerocket have?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Bottlerocket has 5.5" it's more of a FR/slopestyle frame. Maybe a Dirtbag from Transition. It's got 6.7" of travel. If you just want a ton of travel the Blindside has more.

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
^not a whole lot. I want to sell the a-line frame and put that money towards the new one. I want to get a frame that will keep my build sub-40. Does anyone have weights for the Bullit, SX Trail, Dirtbag?

keith13

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
longmont
Would a Santa Cruz Heckler your needs? around 6.4 lbs frame my bike is a bit heavy cause I just bought a complete one from the local bike shop (mostly because they actually had it in stock) my complete bike is just under 32 lbs. I know you can build them lighter than this though and I have seen some frames on ebay and craigslist for around 500$

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
I think I have it narrowed down to:
*Stinky
*BigHit
*Bullit
...all are strong, long travel frames that are a hell of a lot lighter than my a-line.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
How about a Specialized Demo 7 (it's much better than the BigHit) or a Transition DirtBag??? Both review extremely well and are meant for going huge, which seems to be where your interest lies. They are both a little overbuilt, but still fit in your weight range.

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
I just looked at a pic of the Dirtbag on their website.....WOW. It's rather inexpensive too. That frame just jumped to the top of my list....

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I ride a Bullit & am more than satified with it. One advantage of the Bullit over a Dirtbag is the lack of pivots for less maintenance!
They look to be real close in weight for the frameset with shock.Geometry seems to be real close.Maybe even the Dirtbag slightly slacker.Rear tire clearance is better on the Dirtbag!!
1.5" HT gives mmore fork options too.Bullit get's a little more travel about 1/4" inch. Either bike -Bullit- or -Dirtbag- you won't go wrong!
So,what are you going to get !?

Dirtbag FRAME FEATURES:
170mm (6.7") Rear Wheel Travel
Fox DHX 5.0 Coil 7.875" x 2.25" or DHX 5.0 Air 7.875" x 2.25"
6061 Heat Treated Aluminum
Sizes: Small (16"), Medium (17"), Large (18")
Colors: Transparent Electric Blue, Mustard Yellow, White
Frame Weight: 8 lbs (without rear shock)
Complete Bike Weight Range: 38-43 lbs (Depending on Rear Shock and Fork)
1.5" headtube
Custom CNC rocker arms
Compatible with up to 8" dual crown forks
Accepts up to 8" Rear Disc Brake Rotors
Easily fits up to 3.0" rear tire
Works with Front Derailleur or Chain Guide

Here is a photo of my "all-around" FR-DH Santa Cruz BULLIT.It has a tall 2005 66RC !

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
I ride a Bullit & am more than satified with it. One advantage of the Bullit over a Dirtbag is the lack of pivots for less maintenance!
They look to be real close in weight for the frameset with shock.Geometry seems to be real close.Maybe even the Dirtbag slightly slacker.Rear tire clearance is better on the Dirtbag!!
1.5" HT gives mmore fork options too.Bullit get's a little more travel about 1/4" inch. Either bike -Bullit- or -Dirtbag- you won't go wrong!
So,what are you going to get !?

Here is a photo of my "all-around" FR-DH Santa Cruz BULLIT.It has a tall 2005 66RC !
I haven't decided yet....price will be a factor for me. Also I would need to sell the a-line frame first. Anyone want to buy one? :greedy:The dirtbag is a real good looking bike and inexpensive one too, but then again, I AM a travel whore. I don't know if the price of the Bullit frame is worth the extra 10mm of travel. Does anyone know what retail on a Bullit frame is? If I do get a Bullit, I will put the 888 on it that's on my a-line right now.

BTW, Nice bike. I had one of those forks on an '04 BigHit about year ago.....VERY stiff single crown.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
You really kind of contradict yourself here. You want an all around lighter frame then you mention a bighit, then you like the Dirtbag. Both will lead to heavier style builds.

So, do you want a big huck tough as nails bike that pedals at an acceptable level (dirtbag) or an all around (all mountain)?

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
ROTFLMAO said:
You really kind of contradict yourself here. You want an all around lighter frame then you mention a bighit, then you like the Dirtbag. Both will lead to heavier style builds.

So, do you want a big huck tough as nails bike that pedals at an acceptable level (dirtbag) or an all around (all mountain)?
Right now my a-line frame is just under 14lbs. My '04 bighit frame was right around 9, and I know there are other "lighter" tough as nails frames out there - I just need to find one. That's why I started this thread. Right now, I already have a bike that can handle any drop and any dh trail. What I would like is for that bike to be about 5lbs lighter. The reason I'm looking for a new frame is because the a-line is waaay overbuilt. I mean the headtube alone is over 1/4" thick - from top to bottom!