Quantcast

Need recommendations for a MB for a BMXer

Y2J

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
OK so here's the deal. I used to ride BMX (raced, competed in flatland (AFA) and dirt jumping) when I was much younger. I started mountain biking several years ago as I grew out of BMX but I am getting back into it. I currently have a Haro Blammo (2000 model) which I am going to start riding again this weekend. As for the MB I currently have Klein (not sure of the model but it's a hardtail I picked up about 8 years ago).

Mountain bikes have changed a lot since I first got mine and what I am looking for is something similar to a BMX bike - or would be a good fit for someone that ride's BMX. I have seen the specialized P. series (the P.3 looks sweet but also expensive - retails for $1600) so I guess I am looking for something similar to that.

So if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions on bikes / manufacturers to check out that might have something that would meet my needs it would be appreciated. I am off to check Haro's website now - I have also been a Haro fan from my first "real" freestyle back (Haro Master) through the Blammo.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
you should either get a p.2/p.1 or get a used bike. I would suggest a used one. Just keep your eyes out for one until you find exactly what you want for how much you want to pay. I got a bike that was almost new and had much better parts than a p.2 (DJ3, avids, halo wheels) for a ton cheaper ($550) than a new p.2

norcos arent bad either. real small like a bmx bike. either a norco 125, norco 250, or a norco 4hun. set it up on 24s and u'll feel right at home. The older models u can get used online for like 800 complete and they are smaller and more bmx like compared to the new ones. good luck

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
I would go with the azonic steelhead when I rode one it felt exactly like my BMX bike just a little bit more clumsy because its bigger i never thought the P. bikes felt like a BMX bike.

Y2J

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks everyone for the advice. Some great suggestions and follow up material for me. I haven't actually ridden a P.3 but from what I have seen (pictures and specs) it seemed to hit the spot. I will check out some local shops and see what they have in their inventory in regard to the recommendations here so I can check some of these out hands on and hopefully take for a quick spin to see how they feel.

I appreciate everyones advice!