Quantcast

Need some education

Dec 19, 2005
Baldwin County Alabama
I've been a rider for several years but have never really done it seriously. Mostly whatever bikes i found for the least amount of money, assuming they were all pretty similar. My previouse bike and daily rider is an old Specialized rigid frame I bought from a rental shop in Lake tahoe about 4 years ago. This Last summer I bought a Gary Fischer with some nice upgrades from a guy I used to ride with and have since been baptised.
So My point to all this is I've been thinking about upgrading the Specialized with better components like trigger shifters and possibly forks etc. Perhaps even grip shifters that work properly would be nice.
However in my browsing and searching I find there are MAINLY 2 different sizes of steering tubes; 1" threaded and 1 1/8" threadless.
(the rigid hapens to be 1" threaded making it very difficult to find squishy forks at a reasonable price.)
I've also noticed several times a 1 1/8 THREADED tube listed for sale. Is this true or is it pretty standard that only the 1" are threaded and the 1 1/8" are not?

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
i would suggest getting a new bike(hardtail) and spend as much as you can.
because then the components and everything wont be sooo outdated
first of all if you consider getting a new bike what would be your price range maybe we could make suggestions

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes, it is pretty standard for all 1 1/8" steerers to be unthreaded. Threaded is now 'weird'.

1" is basically old technology now. New bikes haven't sported 1" for a good few years.

Essentially I'd suggest you look a newer bike. Even if you go second hand you're unlikely to find anything other than 1 1/8". In fact real hardcore bikes for freeride and DH are starting to come with 1.5" steerers now. 1 1/8" is pretty normal still for most people. If you're running a 1" headset then the geometry of your bike is also going to be 'dated' - not to say that's bad if you like it, but generally I think there have been improvements in human/bike ergonomics rather than steps back.

Go to your LBS (local bike store) and test ride a few different stylesof bike. Be prepared to suspend immediate judegement though, the first time you ride a full susser after a lifetime of rigid it can feel weird and wrong, but ride it, get off, ride some others and let the judgement come slowly after some reflection. Too many people 'love' the first thing the salesman puts in front of them. You can't make a real decision until you've tried the competition.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
The older specialized is a great candidate for a do it yourself Single speed though, but as for updating it for gear and suspension fork your probally better getting a bike with 1 1/8" threadless its the industry standard for xc mountain bikes.

Dec 19, 2005
Baldwin County Alabama
irishMonkey said:
I would just like to say welcome to RIDEMONKEY. If u want some clipples pedals pm me.
Thanks bro for the welcome. And as a matter of fact I AM in the market for some pedals... and shoes. I just bought a set of shimano something-or-others for one of my bikes but I would like to get some for my GFisher.

As for Munkeehucker's idea of a single speed... I've only recently begun to realize the popularity of these dudes. To give you an idea I've never really had an good bike. I rode to school and bike on a beat up 10 speed back in the 80's. The cables and deraileurs were frozen up from rust, so I just threw it on the hardest gear there was and rode! Great work out for a defensive end!!!

Thanks for all of Ya'lls input. This is really Sick!!

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
how much were you planning on putting into the old specialized? just so we can get an idea of what kind of new (to you at least) bike you could possibly afford...

Dec 19, 2005
Baldwin County Alabama
I don't know really. As little as possible. I mean really, it is an old bike and I don't want to poor a buttload of Ben's into a rig when I could do more with my Gary. I kinda wanted to use the Spec. for training and working out and saving the Gary Fisher for actually getting dirty.
Everything on the Specialized is in fair shape except the gripshifters. They both work but one is cracked and the rubber grip stuff is all gummy and messy. It needs a good bike shop tune up, but all in all it's a rider. I just put on a new set of Maxxis skins.

One more question to the wise and affluent, while I have ya'lls attention. working out tips. If you have any I could use them. This week is my first week of riding in a loooong time. I can't believe how out of shape one can get in only a few years!!! I feel like i got kicked in the Taint!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
chevyfixerdude said:
I don't know really. As little as possible. I mean really, it is an old bike and I don't want to poor a buttload of Ben's into a rig when I could do more with my Gary. I kinda wanted to use the Spec. for training and working out and saving the Gary Fisher for actually getting dirty.
Everything on the Specialized is in fair shape except the gripshifters. They both work but one is cracked and the rubber grip stuff is all gummy and messy. It needs a good bike shop tune up, but all in all it's a rider. I just put on a new set of Maxxis skins.

One more question to the wise and affluent, while I have ya'lls attention. working out tips. If you have any I could use them. This week is my first week of riding in a loooong time. I can't believe how out of shape one can get in only a few years!!! I feel like i got kicked in the Taint!!!!
One thing that might help us help you is a picture. There are little details we would pick up instantly, like if you are running a quill stem (your fork would probably be 1 inch threaded).