Quantcast

need some general brake suggestions

all7alive

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
Denver, CO
looking to swap the brakes on my demo, currently running juicy 7's. looking for more power without going heavy. Looking at hope mono6, formula one, magura gustav's etc. I have been searching but I don't find a lot of advice with these brakes.
if price was no object, what would you recommend?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
gustav's were heavy, dunno if this is still the case but i suspecet it is.

if price is no object, then formula's. i know a number of people who have had good luck with hopes, but i know probably the same number who have had nothing but problems.

i've been using saints for almost 2 years on my dh bike, and liked them so much i got another set for my sx trail. they're strong, have a reasonable amount of modulation, very reliable, are easy to work on (replacement parts readily available), and can be picked up at a decent price. oh and saint calipers work with a few diff shimano levers; I'm running them with xt's on my dh bike.

Last edited:

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
formulas seem to have the best reviews out there, never ridden them myself but also have never heard anything bad.

the new 2009 saints are looking really nice with the new 4 piston design.

i would also consider taking a look at the stroker aces. they look really nice and have mad stopping power...found on Chris Kovarik's bike...

all7alive

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
Denver, CO
thanks for the suggestions, I had not really considered saint brakes, I have not seen any reviews on them yet and I was planning on purchasing withing the next few weeks, but I will see when they are being released. when you are reccomending formula I assume you are referring to the formula ones?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
i would also consider taking a look at the stroker aces. they look really nice and have mad stopping power...found on Chris Kovarik's bike...
I just switched from Gustavs to the new Stroker Ace's and can only say good things about them for now. They may not be as brutally strong as my gustavs were, but they are definitely on par with all my friends Codes. Setup is dead easy traditional Hayes and the feel at the lever is very nice in my opinion. I just installed them last week and only got a handful of runs on them today, due to drivetrain mechanicals, but they bedded in really nice and remained powerful without ever giving a hint of fade.