Quantcast

Need starter BMX bikes for me and my 4 year old

SuperClyde

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
My 4 year old turns 5 in August, and he wants to start racing this summer. All the other kids on our street race, so it's a pretty cool hobby for him to get into and get some support.

Do any of you recommend bikes for me and him to start on? I'm 6'2'', 34 years old, and am in very good shape. I weigh 190lbs. I'm thinking a 24" DK Fury.

For him, I'm not so sure. He needs a mini frame on a 20", I know that much. I'm thinking a DK Nemesis Jr, but it's a little pricey (around $300).

I'd like suggestions for bikes that are good starter racer bikes, and I want to keep them under $300 each, $250 if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Look for a crusier w/ at least a 22" top tube for you. For him, if he's average height about any mini should fit if he's short you should just have to turn the neck around backwards so the reach is shorter. Look for a used bike at your local track. You can get one w/ really good parts for about that price. The younger kids are a lot less hard on parts than us bigger guys and most BMXers are usually willing to help out new racers. $300 is a good deal for a mini. A friend of mine spent $600 on a brand new redline for his daughter a couple weeks ago!
http://www.danscomp.com/
Maybe not the best prices but it'll give you an idea what you could spend.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Redline and Specialized have a pretty good line of complete BMX bikes. In addition, Redline and Specialized both make micro frames for your son. They are also very reasonably priced.

On the other hand, you can always find used micro BMX bikes, since kids tend to out grow frames pretty fast at that age.

BTW, you're going to have blast getting your family into BMX. Once my brother got my nephew into BMX, I went out a bought a BMX bike and started to race again...

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
stubby said:
the dk fury 20 inch is on sale for 199 at danscomp
Ummmm......He's 34yrs. young and 6'2". I would think a 20.5"tt is a little small for him and I believe he said he wanted a 24" too.............good lookin out though homey!

SuperClyde

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
So it sounds like the DK Fury 24" is the way to go for me, and then find a good used BMX mini for my kid?

Any links to some classifieds for a mini?

Any other recco's for me? Perhaps a specific BMX bike from Specialized that would fit me?