Quantcast

Need suggestions on a new dh rig.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If I wasn't on the M6 I'd be looking at the Rotec, the Commencal and the Trek.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
just for the record, its my brother that is trying to get on the junior worlds team and i really hope he gets on, it would be the coolest thing to happen for pnw racing. Evan Gilsdorf is a pinner and definitely deserves a shot at worlds. His sn is dhgangster.

anyways, I have been looking at the jedi a little more and I like what I see. someone noted that it doesn't jump or rail berms very well. why would that be?

i like the commencal a lot and that was my initial choice, but bti is out of commencals. so where do you get one?

I would have liked to get an m6, but I am not impressed with what intense has become as a company.

If I was to get a turner it would be through my local dealer who gets them from turner so since turner themselves is out, no cigar.
on a forward axle path bike the axle returns backwards(which pops you) on the jedi it comes in forwards. so in essence a forward axle bike is great for jumping and pumping turns, while a jedi is more towards plowing. It isnt bad to jump but u wont get that same "pop" you can get out of a freeride bike.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I love my M6, but I have to say on the rough stuff my 303 was a faster bike.
My buddy just got his Commencal built and that thing is ill. But I'd consider a new Dw DHR and the new Evil. The Session 88 looks great too. There are alot of good bikes out there.

Take your time and see if your LBS's can let you demo a few different rigs so you'll be happy about your purchase. :cheers:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
on a forward axle path bike the axle returns backwards(which pops you) on the jedi it comes in forwards. so in essence a forward axle bike is great for jumping and pumping turns, while a jedi is more towards plowing. It isnt bad to jump but u wont get that same "pop" you can get out of a freeride bike.
hmmm. doesn't seem like a bad thing at all. I am looking for a dh race rig not a freeride rig so i would think low flying would be a plus?

on your note about sizing, you said they run kinda small, is yours a large?

Last edited:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
That said, I think if you're racing more than just the Fluidride cups, you might be happier with the Commencal because it is more of a full-on race bike. The Commie is faster over harsh chatter, it has more aggressive geometry and the adjustability to make it stupid long and slack might give you an edge on faster, more wide-open courses.
You bring up a good point on that. I race everywhere in the western USA so I ride a lot of different terrain. How does the jedi f1 work on varying kinds of terrain? is it better suited for one style or is it more of a "jack of all traits"? considering that I would only being riding it on dh, not like the boneyard at whistler, etc.

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Then there is always that other bike, made by wal mart, called FR bike by the people who doesnt know better and that fast aussie guy rides it these days.

Not saying it is the best race bike ever since i have not nearly riden that many bikes and never been riding DH outside Sweden, so i would'nt really know how it handles when it is super steep and super gnarly.

slack headangle (64)
huge wheelbase (1196mm)
Short chainstay (makes the bike agile imo)
Awsome rear suspension, a bit dead but still decent feedback, super plush & never ending feeling to the travel.

Just my idea of the bike i ride. Hope you find one that makes you happy. :D

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Have a look at a Morewood Makulu.
We have been working on this bike pretty hard and is a new age suspension design with a custom tuned Cane Creek shock.
By far the best suspension design I have ever ridden. the travel is .2" shorter than the Izimu so it keeps its quick feeling through the forests and because it has the low leverage ratio it tracks extremely well at high speed.
After swapping parts from my Izimu to the Makulu my Izimu weighs in at 37.5lbs and when I swapped the parts over to the Makulu with the exception of changing the cranks out to heavier Truvativ cranks and having a longer shock on with a steel spring My bike weighs 38.1lbs..

Please take a look at it..

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
We have been working on this bike pretty hard and is a new age suspension design with a custom tuned Cane Creek shock.
By far the best suspension design I have ever ridden. the travel is .2" shorter than the Izimu so it keeps its quick feeling through the forests and because it has the low leverage ratio it tracks extremely well at high speed.
After swapping parts from my Izimu to the Makulu my Izimu weighs in at 37.5lbs and when I swapped the parts over to the Makulu with the exception of changing the cranks out to heavier Truvativ cranks and having a longer shock on with a steel spring My bike weighs 38.1lbs..

don't get me wrong i think that the makulu looks like a great bike, but some little things keep me from wanting to look into it further. 1) the availability of parts and service for the cane creek shock and further the odd size of it 2)the price is very expensive when you compare other frames of the same caliber

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

If I remember correctly it came with BOS shock not Cane creek.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In the US they come with a Cane Creek :clue:
And still over 3k $? I thought the shock boosted the price.
Also isn't CCDB rather a shock for higher lev ratios and one that gives more planted feel than bos (from what I see from the reviews) ?