Quantcast

Need tips on rigid forks

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
hey yawl,

I'm looking to build up a 2nd SS to add to me stable. (yes looks like Im hooked now!) Seeing as my current SS is aimed towards aggressive XC and free ride with its heavy parts and 6" travel fork, I'll be looking to change things up on the new build and go rigid.

I have a old scott frame that I'll be using - I ran that bike in the past with a 2000 Z1CR at 100 mm. I reckon I'd like a rigid with a similar or slightly shorter axle to crown.

What would be a good choice?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Are you on a budget?

If so check out the Surly, Kona or Dimension, if not go with Pace, On One, Bontrager. I'm sure that there are others out there but can't recall them.

I just installed a rigid, can't hardly wait to see how it feels.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I'd like not to spend lots of cash, was thinking something between 80 and 200 max. Unless I can be convinced something more expensive is really worth the cash

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The Surly Instigator is a nicely priced rigid fork that's corrected to 100mm. The only complaint I've heard about them to date is that they're very stiff.

May 1, 2006
i rode a surly 1x1 fork for quite some time. a very affordable fork and it puts you nice and close to the ground, get a good feel for the trail w/ it.

i currently ride a vicious cycles fork (i think it was like $200), very good quality. no real complaints about either. i think that the surly fork might be a little less stiff.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Surly makes quality stuff, at a decent price...good choice. The forks are notoriously stiff though. It's not a bad thing, I rode one for years. If you're new to rigid, you may want to get some squishy grips, like the Ourys (not the lock-ons), to smooth the ride.

FYI, the 1x1 fork (413mm a to c) is 80mm corrected and the Instigator (447mm a to c) is 100mm.

The On-One forks are nice too. They seem to feel a bit more forgiving than the Surlys. They run 440mm a to c so might feel similar to your current set-up.

May 1, 2006
Surly makes quality stuff, at a decent price...good choice. The forks are notoriously stiff though. It's not a bad thing, I rode one for years. If you're new to rigid, you may want to get some squishy grips, like the Ourys (not the lock-ons), to smooth the ride.

FYI, the 1x1 fork (413mm a to c) is 80mm corrected and the Instigator (447mm a to c) is 100mm.

The On-One forks are nice too. They seem to feel a bit more forgiving than the Surlys. They run 440mm a to c so might feel similar to your current set-up.
i dunno, i did a small drop off w/ a surly 1x1 fork (i beleive it was 4 stairs) and it bent my fork hardcore. it was like i was riding a chopper, lol

May 1, 2006
im a firm beleiver in single speeds should be built around simplicity. no disc brakes, no suspension, no carbon fiber, etc. here is a pic of my idea of the ideal single speed.

oh wait...its my bike

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
thanks for the help folks.

This is the frame I'll be using - that was how she looked when I painted it a few years ago. The scott is getting a new coat of paint this weekend. Not sure on the color yet.