Quantcast

Need Tire Advice (X-post)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Asked this in the lounge but probably should have put it here:

So I've been running some Michelin Comp S tires that came on my Blur and I haven't been super happy with them. As soon as the conditions get wet (so every other ride here in NE), and rocky (every ride here in NE) they completely lose traction and get pretty useless.

Anyone have any good suggestions for those sort of conditions and the fairly agressive XC riding I do on that bike? I've had Velociraptors suggested if that's a good jumping off point...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Velociraptors are pretty solid. Right now, I use Vertical Pro 2.3s, which are nice for a typical range of east coast riding. The knobs are decent length and spaced more than most tires. I think they come in a 2.1 as well, UST or tube. Kenda Nevegals are also really nice for all around riding. They come in 2.35, 2.1 and 1.95 for single sidewall kevlar versions.

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
Velociraptors work great for muddy/rocky conditions. the rear paddel just hooks up. the only problem is that they are hard to push around and vibrate on the street. but for mudden they are awsome

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
The Nokian NBX's are awesome on every condition and they do not pedal to bad as long as you are on a dirt suface. They are even good in the snow!!!

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I'm running Kenda Blue Groove up front and Nevegal in the back and they work great for the wet slick conditions here in the PNW. They're the lighter kevlar bead and I haven't had any problems with pinch flats.