Quantcast

need to drop some tonnage

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Hey,

Ok I want to lighten my load(mainly my ass;) ). So can I substatute cliff bars in place of my normal unhealthy lunch?
And do something like tuna or baked chicken for dindin? Or how do you do this 5 small meals thru the day thing? Could I do this with Cliff bars while at work?
I'm goiong to be riding after work for a hour or two, and I know I need to cut my calorie intake, I'm just not sure how to do it and still have energy to ride.

WB

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I don't know your situation well enough, but here's what I did that has worked out pretty well.

About 2 years ago I weighed like 230 (I'm 6'3"). I wasn't a lard-ass, but I had some weight on me. I became a vegetarian started biking. Now I weigh 190 and feel fantastic.

Now I'm not saying you should go vegetarian, but if you don't necessarily have to eat less, just better. Having a better diet of fruits and veggies or sandwiches instead of fast food coupled with riding 3-4 times a week will work wonders your ass ;) .

edit: It didn't take me 2 years to lose 40 pounds, that just when I changed my eating habits/lifestyle.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I'm 6'2" and about 245. I really feel it on the climbs now and it sux! Last year at this time I wnet on a three week trip to Keystone Colorado and dropped like 1 pounds! But back here working so much I jus dont ride enough and I eat like crap.

When I was in my 20s I stopped eating red meat and got down to 190 from 230. So I may try that.

WB

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I've gone from 250 to 200 since last november. I'm 5' 6".
Here's how I did it.

1. Lotsa water.

2. Eat healthier. No fast food. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Eating healthier actually changed my perception of food in general. It opened my eyes to food that I would have previously picked aside. Vitamins are your friends.

3. Focus on changing your lifestyle. If you just concentrate on temporary dieting you'll lose the weight and then put it right back on. I mentally psyched myself out to the point where I get grossed out when I see really fatty foods.

4. Make excercise a necessity. Just like brushing your teeth and going to work. It's just something you have to do. I try to make it fun though.

5. Set realistic goals. When I first started, I was shooting for 20 pounds. The first 20 melted off like butter and really pushed me to keep going. I'm 200 now on my way to 180.

6. Don't measure your success by weight loss. You'll reach a point every now and then where you'll stop losing weight. Don't worry. If you're eating properly and keeping to your exercise routine what's happening is that your body is doing 1 of 2 things: either building muscle mass as fast as you're burning fat or your body has become adjusted to a routine workout. You can either vary your workout a bit to break the routine or just keep on truckin. You'll eventually see your weight go back down again.

Just remember that what you're trying to do is completely change your life. It takes some focus, hard work, and commitment but it's all well worth it. Don't be afraid to ask questions and HAVE FUN WITH IT.

Hope that helps. See you on the trails. :D

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Macko's post notwithstanding, you should be very careful about going veggie-only if you exercise hard. Yes the veggie crowd is very persuasive, and very vocal. But the truth is that there are only a handulf of professional athletes that are vegetarians, and no riders in the TdF. That said, there are a couple of other points to add to Evilmunch's excellent post:

1. Moderation. (I suck at this, in fact my motto is "Moderation in moderation.") The point is that too much bad food is bad. Bottom line: If you want to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. This usually entails a combination of diet and exercise. In fact, if you up your exercise by 250 calories (15 to 30 minutes depending on how you ride) and cut your intake by 250 calories you net 500 calories per day!

2. Consider other sources of energy than Cliff Bars, and try to eat a balanced diet. Watch your fat intake, especially. If you are riding just to lose weight, and you have a heart rate monitor, you can burn a lot of stored fat by going at 60% to 65% of max HR. Couple this with some high aerobic stuff (75% to 80%) and the pounds will come off.

3. Hydrate. It is easy to lose weight by not drinking enough fluids. The best strategy is to weigh yourself every morning, at about the same time. If your weight is down by more than a pound from the previous day, you need fluids. There is no way to burn that much fat in a day.

If you want to really think about something, the top cycling climbers usually weigh <2 lbs. for each inch of body height. This would put a 6' tall rider at 144 pounds. On the other hand, the top sprinters might weigh as much as 2.5 lbs. per inch, or up to 180 lbs.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Yeah I should probably add the disclaimer that you should definately NOT go vegetarian if you don't know what you're doing. It takes some careful planning and you can make yourself sick if you don't go about it correctly.

And that's interesting what you say about the lbs / inches of height thing. Although, I weigh about 190 now and I'm 6'3" ... by that measurement I should weigh 150. That's a little freakish.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
Originally posted by mario

If you want to really think about something, the top cycling climbers usually weigh <2 lbs. for each inch of body height. This would put a 6' tall rider at 144 pounds. On the other hand, the top sprinters might weigh as much as 2.5 lbs. per inch, or up to 180 lbs.
yeah, but the top athletes in any field are generally freaks
6' , 144lbs = ew

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have lost 55 pounds since january. the key is excercising and eating right. (duh!)

since you are already excercsing all you need to do is eat right.

cliff bars make an excellent lunch.

5 small meals a day is an awesome way to loose weight but you will have to get used to not sitting down to a huge meal at the end of the day which was really hard for me to do.

educate yourself on what is in the food you eat. im the resident expert on what is in food and how many calories things have and i am amazed at how many people have no clue what is in their food and what is good for them and what isn't.

once you have educated yourself on what you are eating you will never eat the same again i promise.

good luck

Originally posted by laura

cliff bars make an excellent lunch.

I disagree.

Ideally, you should be spacing out your carbs and protein evenly throughout the day. Apricot cliff bars (for example) contain 43g of carbs - that's a lot for one "meal" - and only 8g of protein. Cliff bars (and other types of high carb type bars) are meant for quick energy before an activity. It's isn't really balanced enough to make a quality meal.

Addtionally, for me anyway, it wouldn't fill me up - which is the goal of 5-6 small meals a day - to fill you up enough to not be hungry in between.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

I disagree.

Ideally, you should be spacing out your carbs and protein evenly throughout the day. Apricot cliff bars (for example) contain 43g of carbs - that's a lot for one "meal" - and only 8g of protein. Cliff bars (and other types of high carb type bars) are meant for quick energy before an activity. It's isn't really balanced enough to make a quality meal.

Addtionally, for me anyway, it wouldn't fill me up - which is the goal of 5-6 small meals a day - to fill you up enough to not be hungry in between.
i eat 5-6 maels a day. when i eat my cliff bar for lunch i am at work. i need the energy when i am at work because i am moving constantly especially on the days i deliver. my 2nd luch comes an hour or 2 later. that snack lunch contains my protein. so maybe i should say cliff bars make an excellent lunch for me.

i dont how anyone elses activity level is in the middle of the day. you probably wouldnt want a cliff bar for lunch if you were sitting behind a computer all day, but they make all kinds of low carb high protien bars.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I'm lucky enough to be able to eat whenever I want, since I work at home. So I basically graze all day, which is supposed to be easier on your stomach, and helps you digest your food better.

Doesn't mean I'm eating crap though ;) I snack on veggies, tuna, a bowl of rice here and there, etc. then I typically have a larger meal at dinner time. I like protein bars, but at $3 a piece they can get expensive if you eat as much as I do, and they're a little high in carbs for me.

Like laura said, read the labels on your food, you'd be surprised what's in the stuff you eat day-to-day without even thinking about it. :)

What do you do for a living laura?

zibbler

Monkey
Everyones body responds to foods differently. For me, cutting back on carbs, keeping fat moderate (no more than 30%) and upping my protien a bit helps. Others do well with low fat, high carb. A lot does depend on your activety level though. I'm glucose intolerant - ie. borderline diabetic, so I have to watch my carbs. I try to eat only enough carbs to fuel my muscles. So, on a day I know I'll be more physically active, I'll eat more carbs(quality carbs, not junk). On days I'm less active I'll cut back the carbs and eat a little more protein to help the muscles recover. Bottom line... you have to find what works for YOU.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by gecko

What do you do for a living laura?
i cater for a deli. we cater to alot of hospitals for drug reps so my days is usually spent running through hospitals with trays of food. its the best job ive ever had but its hard work and people generally arent happy when the person delivering their food is sweating.

what can i say, it gets hot down here in the summer.

ps on that note....tip your delivary driver well. it is hard work and we are very unappreciated.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
I agree with MBC that Cliff Bars are a little lacking for lunch. If you want to go with a bar for a snack, look for more protein, more vitamins, etc. (e.g., Balance Bar). Or just snack on pretzels and a glass of skim milk, or some fruit and nonfat crackers, or... you get the idea.

This is a nice thread, but there are some excellent sources of information outside of the RM site. The key is to read, and then read some more. There is a study to support almost every idea, no matter how whacky. Just remember that riding is a function of hydration and fuel (once you have the training in). Think about whether ergogenics are for you (e.g., Accelerade is basically Gatorade with Ginseng).

Two more points: (1) I agree that once you start paying attention to what you eat you will never change back; and, (2) Congratulations Laura! Very inspirational!

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by laura

i cater for a deli. we cater to alot of hospitals for drug reps so my days is usually spent running through hospitals with trays of food. its the best job ive ever had but its hard work and people generally arent happy when the person delivering their food is sweating.

what can i say, it gets hot down here in the summer.

ps on that note....tip your delivary driver well. it is hard work and we are very unappreciated.
Ah ok, for some reason I thought your did something with computers...I misread...I'm a DOOOOOOFUS :D :monkey:

I used to be a server at restaurant doing caterings for chi-chi business events...sucked ASS ...except for the all the free meals hehehe :D

Hcor

Chimp
Dec 13, 2001
New Jersey
Im on a plan that seems to be working....I have always been is decent shape, but finally decided I want a flat stomach as opposed to a little bit of a spare tire.

Im in the gym regurlarly with my friend who is a trainer...im seeing small gains in definition, and I ride DH, and urban regularly.

Diet is key:
Im eating 5-6 small healthy meals a day.
2 eggs in morning, water or juice
Half of a Nitro-tech bar between breakfast and lunch
Turkey, ham, or tuna on rye with mustard for lunch
Fruit and other half of Nitro-tech bar in afternoon
Chicken breast and Veggie for dinner
Low fat cootage cheese a few hours after dinner.

Lots of water all day long....seems to be working well.
1 nitro tech bar = 35g protein, 6g carbs, plenty of vitamins and minerals.

Im also experimenting with small doses of hydroxycut to speed things up a bit. So far so good.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I started running again(hate it right now:mad: ) and have started eating healthy. about 5 small meals (I would have called them snacks before :p ) of stuff like tuna, veggies, energy bars, and lits of water! I have only been on the wagon for a week now so I don't have any amazing results to report yet. ;)
I'll just take it one day at a time and try to stay on my course to a better, leaner, faster me:)

WB

Originally posted by Woggle Bear
I started running again(hate it right now:mad: ) and have started eating healthy. about 5 small meals (I would have called them snacks before :p ) of stuff like tuna, veggies, energy bars, and lits of water! I have only been on the wagon for a week now so I don't have any amazing results to report yet. ;)
I'll just take it one day at a time and try to stay on my course to a better, leaner, faster me:)

WB
the first 2 weeks are the best! that's when you see results (usually eating right for two weeks you instantly drop at least 5 lbs of water weight :) )

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Woggle Bear

WB
Woggle.......Great that you started working out!! Stay with it. As far as your diet....do try to eat at least 5 and try for 6 small meals daily! Stay away from energy bars!!:devil: Anything that has loads of sugar and carbs are terrible!. Stay with foods high in protein and veggies like yams, brown rice(no white rice..high gi), oatmeal, apples. Chicken, turkey and lean cuts of red meat are great! And as you say, water. No soda or juice(SUGAR!). Eating smaller, more frequent meals allows your metabolism to kick into a higher gear, thus burning more fuel(fat). It is a change in lifestyle no doubt, but I guarantee you that once you get used to it and you get the results you want(and you will if you stick with it) you won't go back!

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Thanks everybody!

I have been at it for a couple of weeks now, and been busy as hell at work. I've been eating 6 snack size meals a day and feel pretty good. I have been too busy to get much riding in, but have done a couple of runs with my puppy( I'm that slow haha).

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks,
Todd

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Building on what DG had to say...

The foods that he mentions as being good or bad represent two ends of the Glycemic Index. If you are trying to lose weight, then generally (as always, there are exceptions... like when you are exercising) you want to snack on low glycemic foods and stay away from high glycemic foods.

The glycemic index (GI) ranks foods on how they affect our blood sugar levels. This index measures how much your blood sugar increases in the two or three hours after eating. When you make use of the glycemic index to prepare healthy meals, it helps to keep your blood sugar levels under control. This is especially important for people with diabetes, although athletes and people who are overweight also stand to benefit from knowing about this relatively new concept in good nutrition. A lot of people still think that it is plain table sugar that people with diabetes need to avoid. The experts used to say that, but the glycemic index shows that even complex carbohydrates, like baked potatoes, can be even worse. Here are some examples of high/low GI foods (on this scale Glucose = 100). Please keep in mind that "high" and "low" are relative terms.

High GI:
Doughnut (76); Croissant (67); Bagel (72); Wonder Bread (72); Coca Cola (63); Orange juice (53); Cornflakes cereal (92); Grapenuts cereal (72); Instant rice - white (72); Bananas (62); Pineapple (66); Watermelon (72); Lifesavers (70); Snickers bar (68); Cliff Bar (101); Power Bar (83); Sweet corn (60); Baked potato (85); Gatorade (89); Cytomax (62); Raisens (64)

Low GI:
Tomato juice (38); Skim milk (32); Healthy Choice™ Hearty 7 Grain bread (55); All-Bran™ cereal (38); Brown rice (50); Peanuts (13); Apples (38); Cherries (22); Grapefruit (25); Oranges (48); Strawberries (40); Lentil beans (28); Spaghetti - white (42); Ironman PR bar® (39)

Source: Rick Mendosa at http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

If you want more, check out these links:
http://www.fred.net/ultrunr/glycemic.html
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php
http://www.nutramed.com/diabetes/glycemicindex.htm

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Good for you Woggle - I'm in the same position as you (I just haven't decided to do anythign concrete about it)

Mario - bottom right of the frame is a "edit" button - it allows you to change any post you have made. :thumb:

Gee

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
Orange Co. CA
As I read this thread I notice a fixation on food intake. I have dieted many times with temporary success. And like this thread I fixated on food intake, calorie counting, grams of this and that. Woggle Bear makes a note worthy comment:

I started running again(hate it right now )
I believe that equal or greater focus should be made on the exercise component of weight loss. You need to find exercise that you love to do. And then do it often, because it's what you love to do.

My current approach is to focus on the exercise. The food intake will follow.

Just my $0.02

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I am eating better, and riding more. I have lost about 5lbs so far.
We are building a trail in a state park for them and I've been riding it alot lately. I am still runnung some but still hate it haha.
As it cools off here I think I'll be able to get out and run more.

Thanks all!

WB