Quantcast

Needing a new rear shock for a Demo 8

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Considering two options:

A cane creek double barrel coil or a Fox RC4 modified by Avalanche.

Looking for some input from people who have experience with either on the Demo.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Well, at first take a look if your frame is aligned. A lot of people broke or bent their CCDBs in that frame. Therefor you can get the CCDB with a thicker piston rod for the demo.
Everyone I know likes the CCDB more in the demo than every other option, although a shock with with ending stroke progression should suit it better, due to the linear nature of the demo.

One of the reasons you can get away with it, is the low amount of SAG you can ride the demo with. It works really well in the 28 - 30% zone. Too frequent bottoming won't be an issue that way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well, at first take a look if your frame is aligned. A lot of people broke or bent their CCDBs in that frame. Therefor you can get the CCDB with a thicker piston rod for the demo.
Everyone I know likes the CCDB more in the demo than every other option, although a shock with with ending stroke progression should suit it better, due to the linear nature of the demo.

One of the reasons you can get away with it, is the low amount of SAG you can ride the demo with. It works really well in the 28 - 30% zone. Too frequent bottoming won't be an issue that way.
Aren't newer demos more progressive?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Maybe the new demo will magically bring back Gwins dominating form.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what about a 2014 boost-less valve RC4?

does an avy shock itself fit? that would be the way I'd go if so. No sense in a foxalanche if you can get the real thing, I think.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Oooh looking at pictures, the Avy Woodie might not fit with the length of the reservoir. I'm not even sure if a Fox shock with the extended reservoir would fit (although that's more for the progressive frames...isn't the Demo linear??) A Chubie would work though.

Craig had told me he liked the Fox chassis and was 100% confident in what he could do with it. I already had a Fox shock kicking around so he told me to save the $300 or so instead of getting the Woodie for my bike.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i also want a new shock and am trying to decide betwen a vvid air, ccdb and a rc4, any sugestions?

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
i also want a new shock and am trying to decide betwen a vvid air, ccdb and a rc4, any sugestions?
I disliked the RC4 on my undead, I thought it was a poor shock that got overwhelmed when things got successively rough. The Double Barrel is excellent on the Demo, I found that I rode it close to the recommended base tune, just slowed both rebounds off a bit. As people have said, the shaft snapping is a known issue, so if you can, get the Demo upgraded shaft.

I'm at the moment waiting for my Ohlins TX to show up.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i have the new 2014 ccdb so the shaft is suposed to be the upgraded one. i can get a vivid air for very cheap but in the low low tune, any sugestions?

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Mate I would keep the CCDB I tried a mates Demo for few runs It was with CCDB and even though it wasn't setup for me (20%-23% sag) and it was super active and plush .
You wont regret it : )