Quantcast

Nerf N-Strike Arsenal: The Hot Toy or Too Real?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw an ad for the N-Strike Longshot, and I was like, man, that looks just like a sniper rifle.

Am I being a wuss or is it too violent for kids?

N-Strike Arsenal

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're being a wuss :rofl: When I worked at Hasbro, I made friends with all the engineers on the Nerf line. They have to pass a surprisingly high number of safety tests before they are released. The most interesting thing I learned, is that Nerf guns are surprisingly easy to modify and make more powerful, to the point that I question whether or not they were designed for these kinds of upgrades :D

You're being a wuss :rofl: When I worked at Hasbro, I made friends with all the engineers on the Nerf line. They have to pass a surprisingly high number of safety tests before they are released. The most interesting thing I learned, is that Nerf guns are surprisingly easy to modify and make more powerful, to the point that I question whether or not they were designed for these kinds of upgrades :D
You can't tell us that and then not tell us how to do it!!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am not worried about a kid getting shot by a nerf, but rather introducing the image of being a sniper to a young child's imagination.

Not that a million FPS vids don't do that already...

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son and his roommate played a daytime urban airsoft game wearing orange prison jump suits they got at the Halloween store.

After the game, they were walking to the bus stop when a motorist on the freeway called 911 because they spotted two criminals carrying gun cases.

They got swarmed by 3 cop cars and were detained for over an hour until they cleared the story.

I told him he was lucky he didn't get his ass shot. With realistic guns in a gun case dressed in orange jump suits and wife beaters, he would have in North Portland.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Zombie-pocalypse is coming. Kids need to be made ready for when your skull gets eaten by the flesh hungry masses of the undead.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Zombie-pocalypse is coming. Kids need to be made ready for when your skull gets eaten by the flesh hungry masses of the undead.
Yeah, you'll survive for a long time with a bolt action hunting rifle. At least until you reload.

Read World War Z. One blind gardener survives by using a shovel as his only weapon.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yeah, you'll survive for a long time with a bolt action hunting rifle. At least until you reload.

Read World War Z. One blind gardener survives by using a shovel as his only weapon.
Loved that book, and the Zombie Survival Guide. Two great works of Z fiction.

However, at the end, .223 rifles shooting HE rounds at the end was the "final solutions" for zombie-pocalypse.

All I'm sayin is Nerf is just teaching your kids the mechanics for when it all hits the fan.

However, at the end, .223 rifles shooting HE rounds at the end was the "final solutions" for zombie-pocalypse.

All I'm sayin is Nerf is just teaching your kids the mechanics for when it all hits the fan.
Or perhaps the mechanics when they shoot up their high school? I don't know the answer, I'm posing the question.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
We did that when I way younger, as well as making the ends of the darts on the heavy side, nothing like coming home covered in little welts after playing soldier with your friends

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I am not worried about a kid getting shot by a nerf, but rather introducing the image of being a sniper to a young child's imagination.

Not that a million FPS vids don't do that already...
i think you answer your question. It's not the toy, it's the parenting.

And sometimes you just win the unfortunate lottery of having a psycho kid.

At least it's nerf, you won't have to worry about a mass grave of squirrels in your back yard.

Anyways go ahead and raise a pussy kid, just more fodder for the cool kids to blow away with their Nerf guns.:monkey:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Maybe it is my pacifistic ways, but I think teaching welding and auto mechanics is more important than shooting in the New Zombie Order.

While killing Z's is the fun part, after a secure locale, you need an unstoppable vehicle to acquire food and supplies, or as a means of escape.

While it would nice to commandeer a Stryker, fixing up a Suburban, F-350, or even a garbage truck is the way to get around.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Maybe it is my pacifistic ways, but I think teaching welding and auto mechanics is more important than shooting in the New Zombie Order.

While killing Z's is the fun part, after a secure locale, you need an unstoppable vehicle to acquire food and supplies, or as a means of escape.

While it would nice to commandeer a Stryker, fixing up a Suburban, F-350, or even a garbage truck is the way to get around.

Escape with style :

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Maybe it is my pacifistic ways, but I think teaching welding and auto mechanics is more important than shooting in the New Zombie order...
Besides, beating a Zombie back to death with a torque wrench or slicing them up with a cutting torch is way funner than an old Nerf gun...

CdaleTony

Chimp
May 26, 2006
NOw this is Kick Ass ,

Up in our Portsmouth Office one of the engineers Has this

Nerf Vulcan Chain gun, unloaded a Belt on me in about 7 seconds!
I looked at that, trying to figure out if belts can be looped. Its not like you have to worry about over heating the barrel :biggrin:

Yesss. you can easily loop belts..........!

Last edited: