Quantcast

nevegal vs. weirwolf

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I can't decide between a nevegal and a weirwolf.
If I got a nevegal I'd get the 2.5 folding or the new 2.5 fr single ply version(wuts the weight on that one?)
the 2.5 wierwolfs seem to corner great and be really light but i dont kno if they'll track well on rocky fireroads or just steepy rocky trails

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
umm.....neither?

sorry, had to say it. i do love maxxis tires however, and usually stick with those (minion/high roller).

edit - for DH, single ply is U-S-E-L-E-S-S. tried single ply for DH for the first time a few weeks ago, and wound up getting 4 flats in one day (as opposed to my 1 flat all last year with DH casing tires)

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Can you give some reason as to y ww's suk and y nevegals are better?
I'm either getting ww or nevegals for those races and rides that arent gnarly enuf to destroy my tires and require speed and lightweight.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I've used Nevy folding 2.5s and I feel that if you're riding terrain tame enough to justify a single ply tire, use a Nevy DTC 2.35". It will roll faster and hook up better because the 2.5" is too big to hold it's shape as well in turns, a common symptom with large volume skinwalls.

If you ride more gnarly terrain then as norco-f says "single ply is U-S-E-L-E-S-S". And I definitely vote for Maxxis Minion 3c 2.5s for real DH. If you are used to Weirwolfs, you will sh1t yourself at how much better Minions work.

I really don't think Weirwolfs are even worth comparing. Grade B tires in my experience, with poor traction in all but a very narrow range of conditions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I can offer some insight on the 2.3 versions of both tires.

I am using the Inner Peace version of the WW 2.3 on the rear of my VP-Free, and I have also used NVG and WW 2.3 on the front of my XC bike.

First of all, the single ply NVG is prone to pinch flats in the rough terrain. I have not noticed that with the WW. I think for kinds of terrain I ride around the Bay, hardpack with some loose rock, both tires hook up decently.

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I'm in the bay too. I was actually considering the 2.5 of ea. tire. Ive run the 2.35 weirwolf on front on quite a few trails before(which wasnt too great on fireroads and gnarlier trails where wider tires would've been better), then switched to 2.5 minons and felt quite a difference,
but now Im trying to use some lighter tires and cant decide between 2.5 ww and nevegals

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
2.35 is as big as I would go with a Nevegal skinwall, those fold enough at anything less than 35 psi already. If you want a burly tire just get a dh casing.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
do a search the Nevegal single ply and DH have been discussed a lot. I even posted pics comparing the 2.35 size compared to the 2.5. I run the 2.35 DH casing for trail riding and the Minion 2.5/2.7 for DH.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
That's a good point Kanter, about relative tire volume. A Kenda 2.35" is almost identical in volume to a Maxxis 2.5". I haven't used Weirwolfs now for at least three seasons, but at that time they were definitely a small tire relative to Kendas of the same stated size. I don't know why, but a lot of tire companies make exaggerated volume claims. Kenda seems to prefer not to exaggerate, and their tires measure in keeping with the size printed. Another way to look at it is that Kendas run big.

Another consideration is tire profile. Weirwolfs are very round, providing an even transitioning feel to cornering, but much less overall bite when leaned.

Nevys have a round profile casing with large shoulder knobs, making it a very middle-of-the-road feeling tire with a decent grip everywhere and best cornering traction at 3/4 leaned.

Minions are a purebred cornering tire. They have a tall, slim, firm casing, and very aggressive tightly spaced shoulder knobs. Minions don't like gentleness, rewarding a full lean with unparalleled traction.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i know this is a bit of an extreme example, but when my brother and i were riding whistler last year he was riding the weirwolf folding 2.5s and he had 4 flats that weekend. since switching to the minions hes had no problems at all which includes, many trips to whistler, a race season, and many fun/training rides.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What kind of riding are you talking about? General bay area shenanigans or something else? And how big are you, what bike, etc.?

Kanter is on the money but from prior posts I sense that his "trail riding" is more burly than our usual trails like say tamarancho, Tam, china camp, etc. For that stuff I have not found a better tire than the 2.35 single ply nevegal, they don't last that long but they hook up everywhere, are very predictable, and are fairly light. For more burly stuff (like say pacifica or downieville), the 2.35 DH nevegal is great but they can be hard to find. 2.5 DH Minion F (or high roller rear) are great too. My big bike currently has a 2.7 Minion F in front and a 2.5 Nevegal DH rear and I really like the combo.

Oh, not a fan of weirwolfs - poor turning characteristics IMO - but there are some places where the high volume/low profile version is fast as hell.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Another consideration is tire profile. Weirwolfs are very round, providing an even transitioning feel to cornering, but much less overall bite when leaned.
Not so much, Weirwolfs are actually pretty square, especially in comparison to a Minion or HighRoller. Maybe you're on some really small rims- Mavic 721's keep them pretty close to being the squarest tires I've ever ridden.

For anything rocky, especially loose over hardpack rocky, I've found the Weirwolfs to be excellent tires. They got me on the podium twice at Deer Valley. Tire pressure is pretty important, I run about 5-10lbs more with a WW than with a Maxxis. I try to pump, rather than drift, through corners, and the WW's are very conducive for that.

For "general" bay area riding, I'd go with Mutano raptors front and rear. Here in San Luis Obispo, where it's a lot more rocky, a lot of people (including myself) run Wierwolf 2.5 DH casing front and rear. They are a lot more predictable than either the Minions or Highrollers on our super loose rock over hardpack.

WW's have a real nice, consistent bit to them, and still drift fairly predictably, where as the Maxxis tires will loose traction a lot sooner, although drift in a bit more of a controlled manner. The WW's also have much less rolling resistance than the Maxxis tires, and they last a lot longer. WW front and rear 4 lyfe, Maxxis at the races without any loose stuff.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have run both tires as front here in the east, both the folding versions. I typically ride alot of greasy rocky type terrain (see snowshoe) i really like the Nevagal for this type of terrain. The timberwolf seemed to be a bit harder and slide around on the rocks, it wasnt an aweful tire but I like the Nevegal better.

Given you terrain you might want to go with the timberwolf since it sounds like you wont be hitting much wet stuff...

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
WW's have a real nice, consistent bit to them, and still drift fairly predictably, where as the Maxxis tires will loose traction a lot sooner, although drift in a bit more of a controlled manner.
Admittedly, I haven't ridden WW for a couple seasons, so maybe they've changed. But, better than Maxxis at maintaining traction in a turn? Sorry but I'll agree to disagree and Weirwolfs can be your SanDiago. WC pros don't secretly run Weirwolfs with the hot-strip blacked out...they run Minions and High Rollers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kenda=poop. I bought a bunch recently because they were blowing them out, but I've never been impressed with their tires. Recently I had some of the nevegals where the friggin knobs started ripping off after about 15hours of riding. I wasn't even riding on super-rocky trails, even though at times I do.

The nevegals grip pretty well, but other than that I don't care for them (construction/durability).

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
i like to run kendas for just messing around because the suck so much that you get usto drifts and sliding and when you get back on maxxis you feel so much faster and they seem like the have endless tracktion. but kenda sucks ass for racing!!!!!!!!!!!

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I sure like my 2.5 single-ply Nevegals (on a trailbike) on the older wide Mavic DH321 hoops, with Stan's I run tubeless & super low pressure and they grip like mad. Michi Comp 32 front and 24 rear on the DH rig.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
been riding 2.5 weirwolves front and rear for years. folding casing, super light. Cheap tires and they work good as long as its not super rocky.
Dude I'm still riding that 2.5 WW you flatted at Whistler on and rode down from Garbonzo with. I plan on riding it the next few years, it's got life hella left. Thanks, that tire is treating me well. *Knocks on wood before the 24 hour race this weekend, in which the 2.5 WW handmedown will see it's true test of mettle and merit*

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
does anyone know the weight of the new nevegal 2.5 single ply casing fr tire? On the kenda website it says TBD where it shud say the weight.