never buy a Marantz product

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
capsulated story:

i pay roughly $900 for an A/V receiver in '02
it stops functioning properly in '06 (can't play speaker set B at all, spotty performance of speaker set A depending on mode)
i call in service to verify the problem, and take it for service
NINE weeks later, the problem has been traced to a faulty digital board. repair center (a marantz authorised dealer, mind you) tells me they can't order the replacement board from marantz, and have to search via 3rd party vendors.
i call marantz customer service today. i've been on hold for 52 minutes and counting, waiting to talk to someone.

:mumble: :mumble: :redhot: :redhot: :mad: :mad:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
you know darn good and well, they're hoping you'll just hang up and go away.

been there.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
narlus said:
67 minutes and counting. i had to run to take a leak and get back before the automaton answered. still nothing.
anyone care to wager on how many more leaks he has to take before someone picks up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i should be good for a while...that was my 1st one of the day after drinking a gargantuan starbucks, and i've got a bladder like a camel has a hump.

lunch might be an issue though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the good thing, though, is that they 'appreciate my patience' and exhort me to 'hold for the next available agent'.

so i have that going for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I bet if you show up at their office with a shotgun and a bottle of Jack Daniels, you'll end up talking to someone in a hurry :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
valve bouncer said:
Damn....some companies just don't get it, do they?:rolleyes:
My company bought another small company that made medical dyes. The first thing they did was lay off the 80% of tech support thinking it was a great way to cut costs. Sales dropped off immediately. They then paid some 3rd party consultant a million or so bucks to find out why. Well it seems doctors get really really pissed off when they get put on hold during SURGERY!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
off to lunch! 98 mins.

it's a moot point now, since the local repair place called me on my cell phone. they found a place in Illinois which can fix it w/ the necessary part, so they are sending it there. beats having to buy a new one, i guess.

i would love to talk to a marantz rep though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Westy said:
My company bought another small company that made medical dyes. The first thing they did was lay off the 80% of tech support thinking it was a great way to cut costs. Sales dropped off immediately. They then paid some 3rd party consultant a million or so bucks to find out why. Well it seems doctors get really really pissed off when they get put on hold during SURGERY!
I'll bet they do!

Narlus,

we used a bunch of marantz recorders when recording live shows back a bunch of years, the were great sounding, but I never had one for a long period of time to find out how well they held up!

that pretty much sucks though!

good luck with it!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, NAD is still around. i've got a tuner of theirs, but now w/ internet-streaming it's pretty unused, and i don't typically listen to the radio much anyway.

i just passed the 4hr mark.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They probably picked up while he was at lunch, and when he didn't answer, they chucked him into the infinite hold loop.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
valve bouncer said:
It's become a test of wills now.
it sure is.
he'll probably get an answer when one of the latenight cleaning ladies sees the light flashing on the board, and picks up.

"que ?"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
1 800 654 6633

bombard them!

yeah, i am still on hold. 4.5 hours of mind-numbing tedium. damn, my ear is starting to hurt

i am not that stupid; i am using a speakerphone

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i'm just in my office doing stuff, so it's pretty much non-invasive aside from hearing the recorded woman's voice periodically, telling me that she appreciates my patience.

but the Cosmic Psychos are gonna drown her out soon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stage II was comprised of hitting redial, then '2' and then '1', which landed me my friendly disembodied voice who is so appreciative of my patience.