Quantcast

New 2006 Marzocchi Shiver Forks, now with custom tuning option

Oppy

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
Australia
Now I have your attention Shiver owners, I have a question.
Can older shiver be upgraded using the 06 mini-moto 8" travel shiver for parts?

06 Shiver USD Ø35 Factory Works (KX & RM 65)
- 35mm Upside down design
- 8 inches of travel
- Independent compression & rebound (10 clicks)
- Nitrite coated lower tubes with guards
- Adjustable spring preload
- CNC works clamps/steer tube with adjustable bar mount

Link to Marzocchi website.

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAForksMoto.asp?IDFolder=128&Sito=moto&LN=UK&mCO=&mCW=!BOE!$Tfsjf$!>!994:&mCJ=&IDOggetto=8871

Oppy

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
Australia
Thanks for the props guys but although a first post on the monkey I am have been a lurker for a long time. I am a reguar poster on my local forum MTBDirt.com.au (Blatent Plug) but they are not really a great source of technical info. I searched a whole heap of Shiver information from past posts but it seems to have gone all quiet on the old Shiver front since they went out of production. Hopefully I am not the only old shiver soldier out there.

Here a pic of my rig. It has since been upgraded to a 2004 black medium front triangle. The last of the first shape v10 production run. The photo shows a 2002 large front end with a slightly slacker head angle than the last production run.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If all the shivers is the same quality as my 2001 then there must be a lot of them around. The one you post does look a lot different than the bike version.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
mandown said:
ha ha!

that marzo looks like the love child of a dorado and optimus prime.
That's a Risse Champ - an MTB fork.

And the Optimus Prime reference gave me a good laugh. :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Radarr said:
That's a Risse Champ - an MTB fork.

And the Optimus Prime reference gave me a good laugh. :thumb:
yeah, i know. the "ha ha" was directed at manhattan. we all know how successful the Risse Champ was. heck, i cannot ride down the trail without seing one :rolleyes:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
mandown said:
yeah, i know. the "ha ha" was directed at manhattan. we all know how successful the Risse Champ was. heck, i cannot ride down the trail without seing one :rolleyes:
Haha, nevermind then. I done got confuzeded. I actually owned a Risse Champ at one point, but I never rode it. It seemed nice enough.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm sort of surprised that marz still makes the shiver. when the 888's first came out i figured that the shiv's would be around for another season, maybe 2 at most. granted i have an '03 shiver and i love it, but i'm now on an 888 which feels better and is lighter, plus i'll have a BWC on the way very soon.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
jonKranked said:
i'm sort of surprised that marz still makes the shiver. when the 888's first came out i figured that the shiv's would be around for another season, maybe 2 at most. granted i have an '03 shiver and i love it, but i'm now on an 888 which feels better and is lighter, plus i'll have a BWC on the way very soon.
They don't make the Shiver anymore. The original Shiver posted is a moto fork.

'05 = dead Shiver for MTB

Roman

Chimp
Apr 25, 2006
Midlands,England
jonKranked said:

They stoped making the MTB shiver in 05

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
wow lotsa girly chatter with no real answers....

to answer: no, not really. The carts could possibly be modded to work (like the MonsterTs), but would require some machining. Luckily the seals and bushings are the same used on the 888 (upper bushings). Not sure how the carts could be fitted in, havent seen a 888 cart yet.

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
Switch to mx fork :>

I was running moto shiver 50 for some time in my older army, its almost same size like mtn8, just more travel ( 270 as far as i can remember ) Even the guards are very similar, avy ones are from honda's though

Than i switched to smaller showa mx fork set to only about 220mm of travel but it was old and heavier than this shiver 50 so finnally i ended with mtn8 :>

Sorry i dont have pics when i was running shiva 50 howewer i got one with showa ( very old ) :

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/225566/

This was a tricky bike which "made bunny hoping a whole new sport" and manualing was also tricky.

I think you can make it 2 ways:

Leave it as it is, shivas are cool or buy used dhf8 :>

marzocchiusa

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
No, those cartridges will not work on that fork even with machining. BUT, I am sure we have some shiver cartridges laying around, you can always call us.

Oppy

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
Australia
marzocchiusa said:
No, those cartridges will not work on that fork even with machining. BUT, I am sure we have some shiver cartridges laying around, you can always call us.
AUS is a long way from USA but thanks for the offer. The carts still seem ok one is a little sticky though. I was just pondering upgrading. Thanks for the reply though.

Oppy

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
Australia
toodles said:
Ha ha... Oppy you scurvy dog, whatcha doin on here... Cya at the race this Sunday..
Damn I've been sprung! Yeah see you Sunday, Don't forget to pack the singlet, full face, sunglasses and camelbak right.....:wave:

Sep 10, 2001
I see Kevin is jumping in on the fun... But he is right, the cartridge would not be an easy fit. One of my old tech guys was looking at that, but gave up. The only thing shared between the two forks are the seals.

Brian

Sep 10, 2001
Nothing is impossible if you have the right tools and the know how to do the job.. But you are potenitally talking about more trouble than gains..

Brian