Quantcast

New 2007 Turner DHR and Team 4X frames. Check them out...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Things went bad for me sponsor wise a couple months back while I was in South America. I lost all my funding and support when things went bad with my 2007 sponsors. Timing couldn’t have been any worse. Luckily many have gone out of their way to help me out. Turner bikes would be one of those companies that have stepped up to help me out. About a week ago I had the opportunity to go over to Turner’s shop over in Murrieta, CA. I got a nice little tour of the place and saw a couple frames that I haven’t seen in years. EC’s first DHR was there, the first ever DHR made was there plus all sorts of others as well. The first National I ever raced was Durango back in 2002 on a 2001 DHR, so seeing all these old frames brought back good memories.
Grabbed lunch with David, Greg and Jarret (?). Then went back to the shop and picked up these two beauties. The first is a medium DHR. The other is a team 4x frame. Both in my favorite color, raw. I’ve never been a fan of paint. When I had my BCD Inedible it was completely paint free when I stripped my fork of it’s paint. I’ll take some more detailed pictures when I have some more free time.
Huge thanks to Jesse Chuse aka 1soulrider for going completely out of his way to put me in touch with Turner. I owe you a beer when I see you next.
Side note. The Vespa now has a 177cc big bore kit in it. I lent it to a friend while I was in South America because his family was short a car after his brother wrecked his mom’s truck. While he had the Vespa the motor blew up and fixed it up good and well. The stock motors were very expensive so on went an aftermarket motor. It was 125cc, so it’s quite a big change. It’s kinda scary fast now.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Metal, PIMP new rides ya got there.

Last year I almost picked up one of the 4X protos that Sven was selling from the old Honda Turner team. The geo looks pretty sweet on the 4X. Glad to hear that the Turner guys were able to work with you and help you out. I've always heard good things about them.

So when are you gonn get them built up? What's your first race gonna be on the new DHR?

...and dude... the Vespa: Man Up already - drop an S&S 124 in that lil' son-bitch... :biggrin:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Man, more RAW turner action?? Crap, im gonna have to go take my raw frames and get them painted neon green or white now....

Sweet your hooked up with Turner. They rule!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
David and Greg are great guys and good to work with. The whole team rode for them for 4 years. They always gave us great support. Glad to see they are still doing that!!!! Enjoy the new bikes man!!!!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
great stuff!

i hope that you are not thinking now that you have a real nuclear missile for motor on that vespa, to ride it all the way down here. that'd make for an interesting rescue mission, to colombia or panama who knows

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That's sweet Sanjay. DT's the man. Are we going to see you at the US open or what?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Rock on yo!
Props to Turner for supporting a great rider and one the funniest mofo's in earth!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
nice riders sanjay, cant wait for build/ride pics...

oxidizing is corrosion....:monkeydance: the bit about rust is silly tho. and saying that a alu wont corrode is inaccurate, but i am sure the bike wasn't design to be on salt flats or underwater...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Metal licks the frame every day with his specially-formulated anti-oxidation saliva to prevent just that issue. It took him a while to work up the correct PH, but it's all worth it.

Nice bikes, dude. Let me know when you're coming to NorCal to ride, although I can virtually guarantee I'll be out of town or something.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
6061-T6 is pretty resitant to corrosion even in sea water. It's not completely resistant, but it take a pretty good beating.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
quote from an industry guy when I asked if they'd sponsor the fronjay... "I don't know dude. He's got a rep for running some clapped out ****e"

:D :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

incidentally...this several years back and several hook-ups ago in fairness to the fuzzy headed one...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
For those of you hating on my blue basket it was just the better choice for me. The only other baskets that I have are made of aluminum and I figured that you wouldn’t be able to see the frames that well.

On a side note, right now I’m trying to fab up a mount so that I can put a mtb on the back of my moto. I’d love to be able to ride this to South America or wherever and be fully self reliant. I’m just having some issues with placement...

Here are a couple more pictures of just the frames. I had to take a couple outside to show the true beauty of the raw finish. I kinda wish the rear end of the 4x was also raw, but I think over time the polish will get more dull and it’ll look better.

Took the frames over to the local bike shop, The Path Bike Shop. (Check them out...http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/ I’ll be on their Ambassador Race Team this year and they’ve helped me out a ton over the years. Definitely good guys. I drive 15 minutes past another shop to go to these guys) I put both the frames on digital scales. Figured most of you would be curious.
DHR

4X (David says that it's strong enough for some light DH, so should be great for some of the Fontana style DH courses)

I’ve started to get both bikes built up, but right now I’m waiting on a bunch of parts to arrive. I can scavenge my XC bike for a lot of parts to get the 4X built up, so I hope to be riding it very soon. Ride pics will follow. I gotta thanks the guys at e13 for their help. The guides bolted up no problem. The Fox 40rc2 has about 5 cracks on the lowers, so those will need to be replaced. Might try to get a Boxxer Team. I liked mine a lot from last year.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I saw a guy on a BMW K1100R with those type of bags (aluminum box) on it. Had his Kona Stinky (w/ single crown) sans wheels on top of the left bag and the wheels on the top of the right bag. He just rigged up a bracket/securing system right on the lids. The bike and wheels stood upright and in parallel with the motorcycle.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I saw a guy on a BMW K1100R with those type of bags (aluminum box) on it. Had his Kona Stinky (w/ single crown) sans wheels on top of the left bag and the wheels on the top of the right bag. He just rigged up a bracket/securing system right on the lids. The bike and wheels stood upright and in parallel with the motorcycle.
I was trying to mock it all up a couple days ago with a friend. I had the bike sans wheels with the fork just infront of the right pannier. I think I would mount both wheels somewhere over the left pannier. The biggest probelm though is that where I'd be mounting, the bars would be hitting me in the back. I'd have to rotate my stem 90 degrees everytime I'd want to ride the bike.

bizutch said:
quote from an industry guy when I asked if they'd sponsor the fronjay... "I don't know dude. He's got a rep for running some clapped out ****e"
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
incidentally...this several years back and several hook-ups ago in fairness to the fuzzy headed one...
I guess some things will never change. No matter how much help I get I'll still have that inner dirtbag wanting to come out. I'll allways have something weird or ghetto with my builds. It's just me.

Hey Sanjay, so what's happened with Majin?
I think I'm selling the frame today. The Majin was going to be my back-up plan. I just talked to Victor on the phone today. Sounds like production is coming along pretty good. He said something about a newer lighter frame with different tubing.

That's sweet Sanjay. DT's the man. Are we going to see you at the US open or what?
Dave, unfortunately some things came up and I have to be in town during Memorial Day weekend. I'm super bummed as I had a ton of fun at the Open last year. Hopefully I'll see you and the crew at some other races on the East Coast this summer.

Metal licks the frame every day with his specially-formulated anti-oxidation saliva to prevent just that issue. It took him a while to work up the correct PH, but it's all worth it.
Nice bikes, dude. Let me know when you're coming to NorCal to ride, although I can virtually guarantee I'll be out of town or something.
Yo Captain, how are things? Haven't seen you in years. Just like you've stated, I've been licking the frames everyday. My tongue is starting to hurt, but the frames look great.
I think I'm going to be up in NorCal quite a bit this summer. That is if the Northstar lifts are open. I have a $100 voucher that I can use on my season pass, so it'll be super cheap. I'll keep you in the loop when I'm up that way.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I was trying to mock it all up a couple days ago with a friend. I had the bike sans wheels with the fork just infront of the right pannier. I think I would mount both wheels somewhere over the left pannier. The biggest probelm though is that where I'd be mounting, the bars would be hitting me in the back. I'd have to rotate my stem 90 degrees everytime I'd want to ride the bike.
Or you could just flip the bike 180 degrees....but that would be kinda weird...might have to put an extension on the lid of the bag to mount the fork to...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So, I am curious. I know you cannot disclose to much information and would never want to drag a sponsor, or even ex-sponsor, through the dirt (NPI).

What happened with commencal? I thought they had brought you over to Europe ect. and then it seems that there was a quick unexpected pull out. Were expectations not met, only a one year deal, or some kind of restructuring?

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Or you could just flip the bike 180 degrees....but that would be kinda weird...might have to put an extension on the lid of the bag to mount the fork to...
I thought about that, but then there is interference with the rider and the rear end of the bike. It hangs back about a foot and a half past the end of the pannier.
I love figuring stuff out like this.
There's a bunch of different mounts in these links. Most of them though have the ike hanging very far off the bike. I'd like to keep in centralized so it doesn't upset the handling of the bike too much as I'll definitely be riding offroad with this set-up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204533&page=3&highlight=bicycle+rack
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167387&page=2&highlight=bicycle+rack