Quantcast

new at dirt jumps need help.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I am trying to learn to x-up and to table. My x-ups are close and I have done them complete. I think the secret was holding the swing hand really loose.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong with the table. Is it something I should be doing with my legs, or push on the bar harder?

Attachments

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
for x-ups, try pinching your seat. it may or may not help....

if you can x-up on the ground (pull up and x up) then you can do it in the air. just remember that you can do it, and when it's time to turn you bars, CRANK them the full amount you want.

tabletops can be a lifetime learning trick. I suggest learning on a hip or quarter pipe. the reason is, both those types of jumps tend to naturally push your bike into a tabletop.

it's in the arms and legs for the most part (for me anyways) push and pull and pull and push...:)

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
look at everyone elses x ups.. they stand up much straighter than. most ive seen legs are straighter almost locked out. ass out a bit and leaning over the bars. I think your just in a bad body position to get the full click.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
28 inch bars were (and now are again) the bars to have for bmx (I have no idea what standard width is on Mtn. bike bars) and plenty of people do xups with bars that wide.

also, in the bmx world, kids think the only way to do x ups is with your legs pinching the seat. however, I believe there is no right or wrong way, as long as the way your doing it works for you. and if you look different then the 20 billion other people doing it, even better. :D

my point is, use the tips you get as tips but don't be fooled into thinking there is only one way to do things. (not that the others are trying to fool you, they gave good tips)

seriously, the x up looks good. weird and different, but good. do the same thing your doing and RealFastLikeTurnYourBarsAllTheWayAround. you have the hang time, you have the skills, do it.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
that's a nice bike.

As for the x-up, lean back and straighten your legs. Loosen both hands. try just making a ring around the bar with your thumb and index finger.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
The secret to looking good while doing tricks is to relax. Force yourself to be more central and straight up on the bike. Don't racer(tuck) the jumps. Practice the x-ups while doing wheelies or manualing. That will give you more of an idea of what they should feel like.
As for the table top. One of the biggest keys is to(for you) wrap your left hand under the bar as it comes up. Then, push the bar from underneath. This will allow you to get as flat or as inverted as your body will allow.
hope that helps.....cheers!

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for the tips, I will try the x up tomorrow with my legs straighter and pinch the seat to see if that helps. As for tables, I will just keep trying to push and pull harder.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
for tables, tuck your legs! everything else will fall into place if you do that. just dont go bowlegged, just concentraete on tucking your legs under you, and the bike wil go flat

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
for x-ups I find if you think about crossing your arms instead of turning your bars it's easier. Loosen your grip and practice, tables take alot of practice but just tuck your legs and you'll get it, you are well on your way already.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
when i try..i probably do them wrong..but this is how i do them..i turn the bike like you do..and ikind of push my right arm down..so it pushes the bike down..and sometimes you can even take your left foot off so you can get more vertical..but there are pmost likely better ways for u us to do it.