Quantcast

new at these forums!

Dec 9, 2006
hi my name is justin and i am from san francisco california. i am usually on computer forums but i got this deal on a 2000 kona stinky with a jr. t fork and hayes mags breaks. all this for $600. do u guys think that its a good deal? because i have not actually bought the bike yet. i have never gone downhill mountain biking before. so i plan to start doin so. any advice? on anything..

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
That's an aged set up. If it's in decent shape and a full bike, it would be a respectable buy.

$600 is getting lucky when it comes to going down hill.

Check the fork & head tube weld's (at least) for cracks. You never know the history of a bike, and you definitely don't won't to break either one of those things, ever...

Get pads and a good helmet.

Dec 9, 2006
so you are saying that its still a good deal for a downhill mtb. and what else should i check for before i buy it. i need to make a list.
-check the fork and head tube weld's for cracks

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
-check the fork and head tube weld's for cracks
-Turn the bars over and over and listen for rough or grinding noises. If you hear that it means the bearings in the headset are shot.
-make sure the rear shock + Fork are smooth. You don't want it to we rough, or anything.
-for a whole bike check, you could ask if you or the seller could take it to a bike shop to check over the whole bike.

Dec 9, 2006
just to clarify i am buying this bike off of my friend. the paint is chipped and scratched but he said that the rest of it is in pretty good condition.