Quantcast

New Avid Codes?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I sure hope those mastercylinders are a big jump from the current avid code master cylinders.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
This is soemthing I have only seen on Specialized bikes. The lever is Elixir CR Mag/XX lever, IMO. But, there is non-tool lever position adjustment added.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Hopefully this will be a new product. My Codes when they are functioning properly are great. I'm going to do a complete tear down this winter to see if I can figure out what is wrong with them, but all indications are that it's a problem with the master cylinders.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Looks like it might be toploading, that's cool.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Anyone else have issues with the Elixirs going all the way to the bar randomly? Seems like air is getting sucked in around the pad contact adjuster.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone else have issues with the Elixirs going all the way to the bar randomly? Seems like air is getting sucked in around the pad contact adjuster.
yeah. it happened to me today. i bled them not too long ago, but they sometimes go right to the bars once or twice

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Elixir are big pile of crap! Not sure why all the hype. They are bad brakes! Everybody I knew who had them, had problems! Maybe Sram solved the problem for 2010...

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Elixir are big pile of crap! Not sure why all the hype. They are bad brakes! Everybody I knew who had them, had problems! Maybe Sram solved the problem for 2010...
Nope. I'm running the 2010 Mag CRs.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i love your e-speculation. mine have been great. i can deal with the lever going to the bar once in a blue moon.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been running Elixirs CR Carbon for 3-4 months until my bike was stolen. No issues at all. So I bought them for my new bike, as well.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Dude, Elixir Cr's have plenty of power for downhill...

I raced DH on Juicy Ultimate's. I think I would be able to figure that out...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i love your e-speculation. mine have been great. i can deal with the lever going to the bar once in a blue moon.
Riiiight.... screw that. I'd wind up in hospital so friggen quick. I can barely stay upright when my brakes work 100% of the time.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
With all the interesting combinations we've seen on the pros' bikes [and that're possible], I kinda wish SRAM would sell their masters and calipers separately--if not just for the bike dorks like myself.

I bought a set of the 1st-gen Codes when they first came out. Great lever actuation, but way too much power [think, instant lockup]. Hopefully this CodElixir frankenbrake modulates a bit better and it should be a fair bit lighter as well.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
With all the interesting combinations we've seen on the pros' bikes [and that're possible], I kinda wish SRAM would sell their masters and calipers separately--if not just for the bike dorks like myself.

I bought a set of the 1st-gen Codes when they first came out. Great lever actuation, but way too much power [think, instant lockup]. Hopefully this CodElixir frankenbrake modulates a bit better and it should be a fair bit lighter as well.
Really?? I've never been blown away by my Codes' power. Is it good when they are working right? Sure.

Of all the Avid brakes I've ever used, the only ones that didn't suck air in were the plain Jane Juicy 5 levers. Does this have something to do with the lack of pad contact adjustments? I don't know.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ok, but do you race downhill with it?
absolutely. and i know plenty of people that do as well.
i also race DS on them too

Riiiight.... screw that. I'd wind up in hospital so friggen quick. I can barely stay upright when my brakes work 100% of the time.
they usually only go to the bars at the beginning of the run, at the top of the mountain. two pumps and its fine.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Sram does sell the masters(levers) and calipers separately.

QBP and BTI both sell all levers and calipers. Just because bikewhore.com does not list them that does not mean your LBS can get them in a day or two. Last check BTI had pretty much everything in stock.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the difference between all these Avid master cylinders as far as piston size goes? In theory, brake power breaks down to the leverage you have from the brake lever on the master cylinder, and the hydraulic advantage the master cylinder has on the caliper piston, this is assuming the same compound for pads and the same rotor size. Hope's new brakes all use the same Tech lever, it's just the caliper that changes, and I think I heard formula just switched to the same lever all around as well. It would be nice to have some science to back up people saying what lever works best with what caliper, or what they saw on Sam Hills bike.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the difference between all these Avid master cylinders as far as piston size goes? In theory, brake power breaks down to the leverage you have from the brake lever on the master cylinder, and the hydraulic advantage the master cylinder has on the caliper piston, this is assuming the same compound for pads and the same rotor size. Hope's new brakes all use the same Tech lever, it's just the caliper that changes, and I think I heard formula just switched to the same lever all around as well. It would be nice to have some science to back up people saying what lever works best with what caliper, or what they saw on Sam Hills bike.
They are all the same which is why they are interchangeable. I know that the hot thing to do was swap out the master cylinders to end up with a lower weight brake and maintain the advantages of better pad wear and surface contact that comes with a 4pot break. However, after watching all the Pro's riding SRAM do this for the last few years, I have to wonder if this is a function of these Pro's wanting better/more consistent performance as opposed to weight savings.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i used to only use codes, because i'm 210 pounds, but i switched to elixir cr's this year. i've never felt a better brake. my shop has sold atleast 20 pairs this year and not one person brought them in for anything but just a maintenance bleed. they're amazing

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think the issue with the Codes is in the lever. My Code 5's, which use the cheaper, older Juicy lever have been perfect for 2.5 years.
The power is great but what I really notice over other brakes is the that they don't fade when doing really long decents...like Garbonzo.

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
I have been running Code 7's for a year and half. They have performed excellent up until 3-4 months ago. I now get the occasional lever to the bar situation or I simply have more throw in the lever before engagement. I think I need to overhaul the master cylinder with seal changes. I think I have a leak with the contact adjust knob. The contact adjust is nice, but I am thinking for me Code 5's would be better in the fact that you have less seals to be leaking, therefore less to go wrong and longer intervals for lever overhauls. I bought the contact adjust because I like the least amount of throw in the lever before engagement.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
It's 2009 now, no brake of this price range should have problems with air getting inside the system! That's all I wanted to say. Maybe Sram fixed this for next year, but this year this was an issue.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Im building my own set of Avids using Juicy 7 lever bodys that I had lying around and the new Elixir calipers. I have tried the Elixir levers and they didnt really appeal to me, hoping the new combination works well.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Im building my own set of Avids using Juicy 7 lever bodys that I had lying around and the new Elixir calipers. I have tried the Elixir levers and they didnt really appeal to me, hoping the new combination works well.
that is interesting, i know a couple of people that put elixir levers on their codes because they preferred the feel of the new levers over the code or juicy levers.

anyway, it should work, i don't see why it wouldn't. i have seen juicy levers on codes too so i would assume they are all interchangeable and should work on elixirs too.

i personally haven't tried the elixirs yet but i would love too. however, i am still really enjoying the two sets of juicy 7s i own, levers and calipers......yes, on my DH bike too.