Quantcast

New Avy DHF 7.5 ??

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Was thinkng of getting a new AVY DHF 7.5 havent had any experience with that fork at all I know a few people that had the older 8.0 models and loved there HEAVY Forks.. I am not worried about the weight I understand that its 2lbs heavier then other forks out there not worried about the weight I am 240lb so 2lbs isnt gonna matter, just wanted to see if anybody runs this fork and how they like it. Its going on my Blindside and my other options would be in that price range which is 1K so what do you guys think. Thanks

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
My DHF 8 bouble damper was the best feeling fork I have ever used; end of story. I didn't notice the weight at all. The price on the DHF7.5 is incredibly reasonable and makes me want to snatch one up in a hurry. Hmmm, that's got me thinking now. I regret selling it. The upper end dual crowns I've owned are the Mantitou Travis Triple Ti(2), 888 RC2X and VF2, 40 RC2, Boxxer WC, Avy DHF8. I loved the simplicity and reliability of the Avy. It stayed up in the travel, ate huge hits without a harsh bottom out, never had a harsh top out, smoothed out any small bumps and was incredibly stiff.

I looked on the Avy site and I see the single or double damper option, is there still Ti springs available?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
My DHF 8 bouble damper was the best feeling fork I have ever used; end of story. I didn't notice the weight at all. The price on the DHF7.5 is incredibly reasonable and makes me want to snatch one up in a hurry. Hmmm, that's got me thinking now. I regret selling it. The upper end dual crowns I've owned are the Mantitou Travis Triple Ti(2), 888 RC2X and VF2, 40 RC2, Boxxer WC, Avy DHF8. I loved the simplicity and reliability of the Avy. It stayed up in the travel, ate huge hits without a harsh bottom out, never had a harsh top out, smoothed out any small bumps and was incredibly stiff.

I looked on the Avy site and I see the single or double damper option, is there still Ti springs available?
according to craig you CAN get Ti springs but they run for about 400 USD and you will only save about .3 lbs

you decide whether thats worth it.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I have to chime in as a long time owner of the DHF 7.0-Ti fork. I concur that it truly was an awesome feeling downhill fork but I finally got rid of it since on really rough courses I couldn't keep it from twisting. I'm meticulous about torque settings too and I always kept them at Craig's specs. (even carried a torque wrench in my Camel Back when I DH'd since it'd be sure to twist 2-3 times a day at places like Bromont and Sunday River). I don't know why I had this issue since I'm not a heavy weight (180) and ride fairly smooth, I think it's likely due to the fact that it was a single sided damper/sprung fork. In the last year I got those extended caps (really necessary for anything bigger than a small 2.5 tire) and that helped since I could then crank down the top clamps even more which eliminated some of the twisting. I don't think I ever had a full day of DH where at the end I could look down the stanchions and not see that they were visibly twisted. Maybe the 7.5 is different as it looks like it's sprung on both legs.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure the MT version on the 8 inch fork
uses a thicker upper stanchion(45mm vs.43mm) but, they use the same size lower stanchion 37mm..Also the MT has a beefier 3 bolt lower crown as well..
If this is true then this would likely take care of the twisting issues I had.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Those forks are awesome but I suffered the same twisting on my dual damper model. Any off bike excursion usually caused some twisting that would cause the fork to bind. I had a friend actually design a set of zero offset crowns that would hopefully cure the twisting and add an integrated stem option, but it never saw production (would have been like $200 for a run of 5, each). I never got the settings quite right, but I should have spent more time adjusting them. It sucks that they're externally adjustable but only with a screwdriver...means you have to go to your toolbox to adjust them every time.

To be honest, the weight difference hasn't made a vastly noticeable sensation, but I feel stronger and am able to be on the bike for longer, vs. the much heavier ride I had before hand. I could be swayed to go back if he cured the twisting problem, but my Boxxer doesn't suffer that.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Riding a MTN-8 I can only agree with above posts that it is hands down the best fork I have ever ridden. However, the MTN does not suffer from any twisting issue.......for some reason....

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Riding a MTN-8 I can only agree with above posts that it is hands down the best fork I have ever ridden. However, the MTN does not suffer from any twisting issue.......for some reason....

Are you truly referring to the MTN-8, $3295 fork with 43mm stanchions and a MX style Headset required?

Or are you referring to the DHF 8.5 MT with Larger 45mm diameter upper tubes and triple pinch 1-1/2 inch lower crown for $1895?

The MTN forks are actually MX forks that fit bikes like the CR 80 or the YZ 80 and were one of the first forks Avy offered to the DH world but I think it weighs over 13 lbs. I knew a guy riding one on an original Bullit years back, the fork had to outweigh the frame by 5 lbs but he had a heavy wheel tire on the back to keep it on the ground!;)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Are you truly referring to the MTN-8, $3295 fork with 43mm stanchions and a MX style Headset required?

Or are you referring to the DHF 8.5 MT with Larger 45mm diameter upper tubes and triple pinch 1-1/2 inch lower crown for $1895?

The MTN forks are actually MX forks that fit bikes like the CR 80 or the YZ 80 and were one of the first forks Avy offered to the DH world but I think it weighs over 13 lbs. I knew a guy riding one on an original Bullit years back, the fork had to outweigh the frame by 5 lbs but he had a heavy wheel tire on the back to keep it on the ground!;)
He's referring to the MTN-8. Monster of a fork. I've always wanted to try one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seismic has the true mtn-8 zomg fork, not the uprated dhf. yeah, the weight is like 14.25 lbs or so. I would love to ride one for a day. I think Sikocycles has one on his biglink that he's selling.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
He's referring to the MTN-8. Monster of a fork. I've always wanted to try one.
That's awesome, I imagine it feels like there's really nothing in the trail riding a MTN fork but the above posts he's referring to I believe are referring to the beefed up lower clamp area on the DHF 8.5 fork with the triple bolts on each clamp. I imagine the MTN forks would take a Mack truck hitting them to twist, kind of like my old KTM USD forks, clamp those suckers down tight!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
uhhhh there's an avy equipped cortina up on pankbeek partially hidden....I would love one of those so hard. HED rims, yellow gustavs, probably weighs 65 pounds....bet it's smooth as silk. Too bad so sad, 4000 dollahs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd like to try the DHF 7.5, it's not super heavy and I never had many twisting problems with my shiver, and there are a few things one can probably do to reduce this.

Otherwise, I'd probably rather have an 888 with an avalanche cartridge in it.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Cool , thanks for the quick replies. I know you guys are talking about the DHF 8 but I dont see that fork anymore on his website ts either the 7.5 or 8.5 and honestly the only option I have is the 7.5 with dual damper if anything at $995 the 7.5 is in my price range.. So if I said what do you guys think I should do go with the Avy 7.5, Fox 40, or a 888.. I think the avy 7.5 is a great fork for my blindside. I am worried about the twisting issues i keep hearing about. But to me for the $995 the 7.5 seems like the best option for sa front fork am I right??

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
Craig re-named the forks to be consistent with how the other manufacturers measure their travel (I believe it had to do with some negative travel being factored in). I wonder how the 7.5 A2C measures compared to my 888, anyone have any figures on that?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'd like to try the DHF 7.5, it's not super heavy and I never had many twisting problems with my shiver, and there are a few things one can probably do to reduce this.

Mine have only twisted twice from a bunch of crashes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool , thanks for the quick replies. I know you guys are talking about the DHF 8 but I dont see that fork anymore on his website ts either the 7.5 or 8.5 and honestly the only option I have is the 7.5 with dual damper if anything at $995 the 7.5 is in my price range.. So if I said what do you guys think I should do go with the Avy 7.5, Fox 40, or a 888.. I think the avy 7.5 is a great fork for my blindside. I am worried about the twisting issues i keep hearing about. But to me for the $995 the 7.5 seems like the best option for sa front fork am I right??
honestly, if you aren't racing or just aren't concerned with weight, it's going to be hard to beat an avy fork for recreational riding. Recommended service life is 2 years, compared to 25 hours on a boxxer. the twisting may or may not be an issue. If you go down a lot, then be prepared to carry an allen wrench or head back to the car. If you're more fleet-footed, it probably won't happen to you. If you're paying retail, it's going to be hard to beat the price and customization of an avy fork as compared to the other ones.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I will second Sandwich's statement. The focus on weight is iMHO over-rated compared to quality. I have tried boxxers, Fox and 888s and non of them have ever delivered a damping performance even close to Avalanche. As said by Sandwich, if you are a recreational racer of just a weekend warrior and dont care much about a little extra weight, the Avy delivers a quality which I am sure you will appreciate in the long run and which is hard to beat.

I rode one of my friend's Avy 7 and I have to admit that the damping is awesome. The fork is light and low and delivers a nice range of damping both in terms of low and high speed impacts. Very sensitive to smal impact and smoothend out roots and pot-holes very well. My friend mentioned that he has experienced twisting, but I didnt experience so the few times I rode his bike.

For reference, the MTN-8 is indeed a beast of a fork. It is heavy and needs a bike which can balance it out....so a heavy freerider or DH beast which has not been on a diet is of preference. It never twists, it takes everything you can run into, over or through....your pick. I have never bottomed out the MTN fork even when failing on a drop and landing on the front wheel. The fork evens out everything in front of you and never has maintenance issues........however, as mentioned it is heavy........but I am old-school and not a racer.....so I dont care - just enjoy riding the beast.

Drop away.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I've been very satisfied with all the Avalanche products that I have. Price wise it seems that most manufactures (Sram, Manitou, Fox) have been raising their downhill fork prices, making the Avalanche forks very reasonably priced compared to the competition. Unless you are racing the weight difference isn't noticed (except for the MTN-8). Currently have the DHF 8, DHF 8 ti race, DHF 8-MT, and the MTN-8 set up on bikes. They rarely need any service... moto seals last a long time.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I've been very satisfied with all the Avalanche products that I have. Price wise it seems that most manufactures (Sram, Manitou, Fox) have been raising their downhill fork prices, making the Avalanche forks very reasonably priced compared to the competition. Unless you are racing the weight difference isn't noticed (except for the MTN-8). Currently have the DHF 8, DHF 8 ti race, DHF 8-MT, and the MTN-8 set up on bikes. They rarely need any service... moto seals last a long time.
Lets have some pics :)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You might just get lucky...

I've been rocking a 888 with a BOS cartridge. Gotta love proper damping.

I'd love to spend some time on the DHF 7 with the single damper. If the performance justified the extra weight and it came at the right price, I'd be all over one.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
:\
Yeah RD3 hook me up with one...lol.. nice bikes bro I wish I had that collection....:D

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Thanks for the replies and the help... yeah I really dont care at all about the weight like I said I am 240lb having a fork that is 2lb heavier then every other fork out there is no issue for me.. I am a weekend warrior, actually not even that I am getting back into it after I tore up my knee and ankle and surgery.. Been out for 14 months got some strength back and since I had to sell my old blindside, this time I just want to got with a real nice fork that is gonna last and take some abuse cause there is no finesse here I am a straight retart out there... So thank guy the 7.5 it is... If I could afford a MTN 8 I would but I cant see spending 2K on a fork nevermind $3200.. $995 for a brand new DHF 7.5 is perfect..

Now what do you guys think of the steel spring and dual damper upgrade i think it brings the fork up to about $1500?? Worth it??

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
Have you spoken with Craig yet? If you give him a call he will help you figure out what would be best. I have found him to be straightforward and not at all pushy about trying to sell you more than what you need.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now what do you guys think of the steel spring and dual damper upgrade i think it brings the fork up to about $1500?? Worth it??
Really, you should call up Craig and speak to him. He is super-helpfull and he'll help you get what you need. The personalized customer service is great.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
please call Craig ....
I'm pretty sure the DHF8-MT is $1,895 ???
If your willing to spend $1,500 you would be foolish not to get the DHF8-MT..
I'm not talking about the MTN-8.......I'm talking about this fork.
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhf8forka.html
GOODLUCK :)
Yeah I am gonna call Craig for sure, I personally think that fork is over kill dude its 8.5 3 pinch bolt its super heavy at almost 12lbs its like a moto fork although I dont care about weight I dont want a extra 4 lbs this will be my race bike when I get back into it and my ankle and knee are 100% again.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Talked to Craig today he was super helpful as always.. He idd suggest the 7.5 for what I am looking for but with a dual damper do to my style of riding and my weight he told me that I would not be able to tell the difference with the 8.5 and the dual damp 7.5 so for $1495 I will have my awesome avy fork .. Gonna order it this week hopefully waiting on a check then the spending begins......:D:D:D Trying to find a Bar stem combo to go with the avy any suggestions...

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Wasn't the mtn 8 weight like a zillion pounds?
Oh yeah the MTN 8 is the BIG BOY.... Its like 14lbs and its also $3400 I am talking about the DHF 8.5 which is 8.5 of travel but which really equals out to be a true 8inch fork and there 7.5 fork is really a 7 inch fork which is equal to all forks out there like a Fox, 888 etc etc which is what Craig explained to me. So I am gonna go with the dual damper, I coul get away with the single but there could be a chance of alot of twisting and twisting is better then no give and just breaking your fork but its pretty anoying to have to tighten pich bolts every ride or more.. So for the added safety and do to my weight the dual damper is gonna be perfect..

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not sure I understand that system of measurement. My 888 gets 203mm of stroke, which is 7.99".

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Oh yeah the MTN 8 is the BIG BOY.... Its like 14lbs and its also $3400 I am talking about the DHF 8.5 which is 8.5 of travel but which really equals out to be a true 8inch fork and there 7.5 fork is really a 7 inch fork which is equal to all forks out there like a Fox, 888 etc etc which is what Craig explained to me. So I am gonna go with the dual damper, I coul get away with the single but there could be a chance of alot of twisting and twisting is better then no give and just breaking your fork but its pretty anoying to have to tighten pich bolts every ride or more.. So for the added safety and do to my weight the dual damper is gonna be perfect..
I don't get it. What does the dual damper system have to do with the fork not twisting. Does the dual damper option also include different crowns/clamps that prevent the twisting? Maybe I just misread this.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't get it. What does the dual damper system have to do with the fork not twisting. Does the dual damper option also include different crowns/clamps that prevent the twisting? Maybe I just misread this.
yep.

the 7.5 is single damper dual bolt crowns.

the 8.5 "MT" is triple bolt lowers, standard uppers, and thicker/larger uppers around the lower crown. Should make for a hell of a stiff fork, but I'm not convinced that the twisting isn't related to crown design rather than clamping force (ie no need for three bolts).

The damper has nothing to do with twisting, and I'm fairly certain two dampers are not necessary, especially with the oil volume and damper design of the huge-o fork.

I think the extra half inch of travel, from what somebody suggested earlier, is a measured amount of negative travel, that other manf. already include, but Avy does not...correct me if I'm wrong.