Quantcast

new banshee dh frame

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
This thing is looking sick with the paint. Definitely going to be a tough package to beat. Anyone else sense a comeback from banshee?

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
don't worry, thats purely for the prototypes because they had to rush it to get it ready for the bike show, the production legends will all be smoothed out.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
haha you might until you go riding in the mud, then suddenly the frame will weight twice as much and be had to clean... also it addes stress risers to the welds so makes the bike structurally weaker... oh andds a little bit of weight too!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Keith said the machining on that one is just a rush-job to get it ready for the show (hence all the machining grooves), the production versions will be smooth. Looking very cool though.
Haha, I was the one that prompted that question on the blog. Thanks for the clarification though!

-Colin

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Wow. That looks very nice.

I happened to be reading the thread on the new Armageddon. Is it just me or does this design look almost identical to the Trek patent?

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Is that susp system same as US7128329 patent, (that is Weagle's pat.) figure 7 in there?? They can market this in the US?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
The upper link does not drive the shock, I think that is a key discriminator in that patent.

Read the patent, I was wrong. However, looks like the squat curve itself is a part of the patent. Design a different curve, stay out of the patent?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Is that susp system same as US7128329 patent, (that is Weagle's pat.) figure 7 in there?? They can market this in the US?
The linkage layout is similar, however read what the claims of DW's patent are - they pertain more to the specific anti-squat curve than pivot or shock location. I don't know enough of the details of the bike to know whether it'd fall under that patent, but I can't rule it out either.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The linkage layout is similar, however read what the claims of DW's patent are - they pertain more to the specific anti-squat curve than pivot or shock location. I don't know enough of the details of the bike to know whether it'd fall under that patent, but I can't rule it out either.
Ok I just read through the patent. Every embodiment described there - as far as IC movement goes - seems to have a particular characteristic of the IC movement, and that is that by the end of the travel, the IC is on the lower link (or has been on the lower link). This is specified in writing in every embodiment, so I'd say it's a fairly important characteristic. Without going into too much detail, I believe this IC movement generally creates a specific characteristic that DW may see as beneficial. However, at no point in the travel of the Banshee does the IC ever reach the lower link. I also don't know what the anti-squat curve of the banshee is, and I'd say this is a contentious point since it can never be agreed upon exactly where the CoM is when pedalling, since riders vary in size and your body moves up and down whilst pedalling anyway.

From this, I am of the opinion that the Banshee doesn't infringe upon that patent (whereas the Giant Maestro system may, as DW has commented upon on the past). I believe there is at least one other dw-link patent though, and I haven't read it so I don't know if it has other things that the Banshee might fall under.

End of the day - this is a much more complex patent than say that Trek/Karpiel issue and there seem to be a number of different things that could cause any bike to fall under the patent. I don't know just how much is required. The claims only really specify the IC movement thing though, and the Banshee is definitely outside that.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Ok I just read through the patent. Every embodiment described there - as far as IC movement goes - seems to have a particular characteristic of the IC movement, and that is that by the end of the travel, the IC is on the lower link (or has been on the lower link). This is specified in writing in every embodiment, so I'd say it's a fairly important characteristic. Without going into too much detail, I believe this IC movement generally creates a specific characteristic that DW may see as beneficial. However, at no point in the travel of the Banshee does the IC ever reach the lower link. I also don't know what the anti-squat curve of the banshee is, and I'd say this is a contentious point since it can never be agreed upon exactly where the CoM is when pedalling, since riders vary in size and your body moves up and down whilst pedalling anyway.

From this, I am of the opinion that the Banshee doesn't infringe upon that patent (whereas the Giant Maestro system may, as DW has commented upon on the past). I believe there is at least one other dw-link patent though, and I haven't read it so I don't know if it has other things that the Banshee might fall under.

End of the day - this is a much more complex patent than say that Trek/Karpiel issue and there seem to be a number of different things that could cause any bike to fall under the patent. I don't know just how much is required. The claims only really specify the IC movement thing though, and the Banshee is definitely outside that.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. also... the squat characteristics are quite different, so not infringing in that way either.

To be honest I think it is pretty stupid that you can patent a short link 4 bar linkage design (Its nothing new, been around for hundreds of years) and I don't really like it in this industry all that much as I feel its kinda against the ethos of riding (fair enough if it is something really novel and new, but not something that they are just trying to make money from) I guess that DW just wanted to protect his likage, and I guess its fair enough, but because it wasn't anything all that new as a basi design he had to be very very specific with how he covered the linkage, and hence it can be avoided. Ha, maybe this is my view purely because it means I have to spend a lot of time checking my designs to ensure they don't infring any patents.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I love the frame. I'll take one in Full Powder Coat white, Silver Links, No stickers & No Logos w/ a DHX 5.0 or Roco RC World Cup please. :) Thx.