Quantcast

New BB install - Which grease?

...everyone has always told me you need a think waterproof grease like the Phil Woods or something for the BB and after some thought I would tend to agree. However, the last thing I need is yet ANOTHER type of grease in my toolbox so I just started usuing the Finish Line Teflon grease everywhere I couldn't use Slicky Honey and you know what? Between those two, I've got my whole bike covered (including cables and screws, BBs and headsets) and haven't has one problem yet?

OTOH, I do strip my bike down to the frame every 3 months to do a complete overhaul at which time I clean up and replace the grease so if you'd like it to last a little longer, maybe a waterproof grease that is thicker wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by kuma
...everyone has always told me you need a think waterproof grease like the Phil Woods or something for the BB and after some thought I would tend to agree. However, the last thing I need is yet ANOTHER type of grease in my toolbox so I just started usuing the Finish Line Teflon grease everywhere I couldn't use Slicky Honey and you know what? Between those two, I've got my whole bike covered (including cables and screws, BBs and headsets) and haven't has one problem yet?

OTOH, I do strip my bike down to the frame every 3 months to do a complete overhaul at which time I clean up and replace the grease so if you'd like it to last a little longer, maybe a waterproof grease that is thicker wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.
The reason I like water proof grease at the BB, if you do alot of water or stream crossing your adding a little more insurance.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
dude, save your selve alot of trouble and get a small tube of anti-sieze. just like all those other guys said you need a waterproof grease that wont go away. the problem with the greases is that they eventualy break down in water. i havent seen a grease that doesnt. anti sieze is not a grease is ANTI-SIEZE which means just that it wont let your bb (that all ways collects water, even in deserts) become part of the frame. plumbers tape is cool but also breaks down over time.
but i guess if you take your bike apart every 2 months, hell you could use water for that matter.:D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
In a pinch you can. I bet it would last a ride. But it is a lube you can use in gripshift if you don't have any silicone. Petroleum greases swell the gripshift plastic enough to ruin the shifter.

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Ya, i never use slick honey on a bb. I only use slick honey on seatposts, most bolts (that dont get locktite) and some times cables. I use triflow on cables and phil grease everywhere else.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
if you dont take your bike apart often, dont use slick honey. greases are for things that need grease to move, such as bearings and pivots. oils are also for things that move but apply much less preasure on the moving parts, such as shifters (shimano or mechanical shifters). grip shift shifters require the use of a special grease that gets absorbed into the plastic called joni-snot. that stuff works awsome inside brake and der. housing. why? because it too has plastic inside for the cable to slide on. once it is applied it doesnt stay wet like oil or grease, so if dirt gets inside it stays butter smooth, not congieled and nasty. try it. as for bb's and seat posts, use ANTI-SIEZE:mad:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
i use pedros SYN(thetic) grease for pretty much everything. seems to work fine and high temps too...i have my pedals packed with it and i havent had it melt at all:eek: