Quantcast

New Bike 20" or 24"?

rompish

Chimp
Sep 1, 2011
Rego Park, NY
Hello everyone!

I have moved to Queens, NYC recently and left my MTB at home (in another country).
Now I plan to buy a new bike for riding it here, and since I was tempted to buy a BMX as a second bike back home, I want to buy one here.

The problem is, that I tried to BMX only for short rides and I liked it a lot, but I haven't tried it for long and far runs.

I like to ride light street and occasional DJ.

I traveled around 20-25 miles a day on city streets on my MTB, so I believe these distances won't change in future.

I really want a 20" BMX but I might not be able to go far on it, so I am considering a 24" option one as It might be a compromise.

Please let me know which one I should take.

My budget is $400.

Thanks!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It might be tough to find a nice 24" bike for that kind of $$$, unless you get real lucky and score a used one. Your options for 20" bikes will be much better. You can do 25 miles a day on a bmx, easy. Just as long as you're not in a hurry. I wouldn't want one for a serious commuter or anything, but if you like to have fun while you ride around, it will be a blast. I like 24s, and they are definitely better for longer rides, but I have always liked cruisers, I've had a 24" bike since around 1983.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hello everyone!

I have moved to Queens, NYC recently and left my MTB at home (in another country).
Now I plan to buy a new bike for riding it here, and since I was tempted to buy a BMX as a second bike back home, I want to buy one here.

The problem is, that I tried to BMX only for short rides and I liked it a lot, but I haven't tried it for long and far runs.

I like to ride light street and occasional DJ.

I traveled around 20-25 miles a day on city streets on my MTB, so I believe these distances won't change in future.

I really want a 20" BMX but I might not be able to go far on it, so I am considering a 24" option one as It might be a compromise.

Please let me know which one I should take.

My budget is $400.

Thanks!
For complete 24" BMX's, check out Sunday Model C, Specialized P24, We The People Avenger, Haro, MirraCo Icon20Forty, DK Cygnus, Giant Method, etc

rompish

Chimp
Sep 1, 2011
Rego Park, NY
It might be tough to find a nice 24" bike for that kind of $$$, unless you get real lucky and score a used one. Your options for 20" bikes will be much better. You can do 25 miles a day on a bmx, easy. Just as long as you're not in a hurry. I wouldn't want one for a serious commuter or anything, but if you like to have fun while you ride around, it will be a blast. I like 24s, and they are definitely better for longer rides, but I have always liked cruisers, I've had a 24" bike since around 1983.
Thanks for your reply! Will think about it, maybe it is better to spend a bit more and buy a nice 24" cruiser then...

Sep 6, 2011
Poor Tortured, WA
Thanks!

Finally I ordered a new DK Cygnus 24!)
This is a good bike! I have the 2010 model and I love it! You may want to consider a few upgrades though. Namely, replacing the single wall rims. I also replaced the freewheel on mine with a casette hub and put on a smaller sprocket. Oh, and I upgraded to some bigger bars, but that's more of a personal preference. I also swapped out the pedals, but again, that's a personal preference thing really. Anyway, enjoy your new cruiser!