Quantcast

New bike and Wifey's totally cool with it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've got a new toy. Well technically, not new, as I've had it in the garage since February. Summary of why was a wicked crash over the summer that scared the isht out of me. Enough that I decided to sell my DH stuff, get life insurance, and build up something more focused on climbing than descending. My preferred bike would have been an SB75, but Yeti in their brilliance decided to not make and XL.( Explain to me why you would not make a trail bike for tall peoplen when 27.5 makes the most sense from a size-scale perspective.)

FullTrucker was nice enough to inform me that Chainlove was selling new SB66c frames for $1700. After talking with Wifey and getting the thumbs up, I acquired said frame. To build something more climbing oriented, my build needed to go on a diet. I sold the 36 and picked up a new Pike, sold my Hope/823 wheel set and replaced them with Hope/819, ditched the DHX, got a carbon bar, and went to 1x10.

Knowing the new bike would be lighter, I took a pre-build measurement of 34.8#. The new build came in at a whopping 29.9#. Not bad, given I somehow made $125 in the process. Although having a new large frame to sell probably helped a lot...

Old Build:
XL Yeti SB66
Fox 36 Float RC2
Hope Pro2/Mavic 823 rear wheel, Pro2/819 front
Sram 2x9 X9 drivetrain on XT cranks
Formula 'The One' brakes
RockShox Reverb post
Thompson stem
Easton Havoc Al bar
Maxxis Advantage 2.45 tires

New build:
XL Yeti SB66c
Rock Shox Pike travel adjust
Hope Pro2/Mavic 819 wheels
Sram 1x10 X9 drivetrain on XT cranks
OneUp 42 tooth rear cog
Race Face Narrow-Wide ring
Formula 'The One' brakes
RockShox Reverb post
Thompson stem
Easton Havoc Carbon bar
Maxxis Advantage 2.4 front tire, High Roller 2.35 rear

I've done two rides and the weight difference is amazing. The angles with the slightly shorter fork makes a huge difference. I am very pleased with the change. I will however need to get a 30 tooth front ring. The Front Range is way too steep for my fat ass to climb with my vurrent gearing.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nice.

What are your thoughts on the Maxxis Advantage? I'm currently using 2.4 Ardents with 2ply DH casings and looking to go with something smaller/lighter, but really have no idea...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice.

What are your thoughts on the Maxxis Advantage? I'm currently using 2.4 Ardents with 2ply DH casings and looking to go with something smaller/lighter, but really have no idea...
I like them. The break away point is similar to the HR, but it comes back easier. For climbing, it's a far better gripping tire. I feel it clears mud a bit better too. I do prefer the HR on the back though. I also like for the rear to be a bit drifty though.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
pretty close to my ride. I've got the 30t NW and a 42t cog as well, and need it to spin up some of the longer steeper climbs around here.

It it an awesome bike. Not a regret, ever.

Any trouble setting up your RD with that 42t cog? Mine just grazes the 42t cog. I've got shimano...

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Can you enduro on that thing?

(Is that the same rear derailleur that you pieced back together trailside with a zip tie 2 summers ago?)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What size chainring up front Stoney?
32 currently, but I need to drop down to a 30. The 32 is doable for Buff Creek, but would kill me anywhere else.

Can you enduro on that thing?

(Is that the same rear derailleur that you pieced back together trailside with a zip tie 2 summers ago?)
Yes (smart ass). Negative. It's a new clutch derailluer. The trailside fix is in a box, as I pillaged my other 10 speed setup for the cassette and chain. And it was a rubber band that we used for the immediate fix. The ziptie is the permanent fix.

...so I can convert my 135 mm spaced Altitude 70 to 1x10 no problems? Hmmm...
Yes. You just need to make sure you have a clutch derailleur and the Nw ring up front. The OneUp ring is not necessary, but I recommend it.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
In this case it's entirely appropriate that the Yeti is also known as the ABOMINABLE snowman. Who designs these things?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nice.

i really like the advantages. i have a smaller one on the front of my xc bike, and a larger one on the rear of my trail bike. good blend of rolling resistance and cornerning. nice volume and shape.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
he's from japan, every bike without a tentacle, or used panties, etc, is ugly
Yeah I'm from Japan, f*ck me you're an oxygen thief, go play on your jungle gym.
Stoney, modern bikes just give me soft-on, nothing about yours in particular. Don't get me started on 27.4987 wheels. I guess I'm a retro grouch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I'm from Japan, f*ck me you're an oxygen thief, go play on your jungle gym.
Stoney, modern bikes just give me soft-on, nothing about yours in particular. Don't get me started on 27.4987 wheels. I guess I'm a retro grouch.
man, who pissed in your seaweed wheaties this morning?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice rig! If your big ass can't break a carbon frame, I might need to step up to one and build something like that for some good times. I've been holding at 225 since '10 but I need to ride moar and the 42# RM7 isn't very motivating. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
probably the same bloke who taps you on the shoulder each morning and says "jon, today is the day for you to be a cunt on the internet".
also, bloke? that's not typical japanese vernacular. you some sort of ex-pat?
Kids, don't make BV put you into the corner.

VB - Jon exists to piss people off on the internet. You've missed a lot in your travels.

Jon - VB, iirc, is an Aussie ex-pat.

Remember, we're all better off with no Hello Kitty, Zonicman, etc. type bs. Keep it clean.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice rig! If your big ass can't break a carbon frame, I might need to step up to one and build something like that for some good times. I've been holding at 225 since '10 but I need to ride moar and the 42# RM7 isn't very motivating. :rofl:
I'm not concerned. I'm not going stupid big anymore. I prefer to stay on the ground when I can (for the most part). It rides great, even better than the SB66a with the 36 on it. I am very impressed so far.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not going stupid big anymore.
:stupid:

I haven't built/bought a nice bike in a very long time, but I might be able to build something proper soon. With GFF rolling carbon without issues it seems and now you, I think I might go full retard. Still not sold on the 27.5, but I haven't ridden it, either.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nice bike. Da Peach has gotten me on the same program. Fingers crossed I have mine for next weekend.

Out of interest, how tall are you?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nice bike. Da Peach has gotten me on the same program. Fingers crossed I have mine for next weekend.

I sure hope you haven't made a horrible mistake.... but, I guess it's too late to change your mind now!

I'm sure it'll be fine. Or at least, not terrible.

You did specify that you wanted the 2nd gen version though, right? I heard those other ones get a bit creaky in the bb and snap-y at the seat tower. Especially the XLs.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Wookie sized. 6'4" as of last measurement.

I sure hope you haven't made a horrible mistake.... but, I guess it's too late to change your mind now!

I'm sure it'll be fine. Or at least, not terrible.

You did specify that you wanted the 2nd gen version though, right? I heard those other ones get a bit creaky in the bb and snap-y at the seat tower. Especially the XLs.
It's a 2013. Hell if I know what gen. All I know is that I have factory warranty.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Wookie sized. 6'4" as of last measurement.

It's a 2013. Hell if I know what gen. All I know is that I have factory warranty.
yeah, I guess you don't have much to worry about. Just gotta look for the markings "GENII" inside the bb shell.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Completely fighting the 29er/27.5/lets fvck witht ire sizes to energize the industry craze myself. In the market for a new single speed and all that is out there is fvcking 29ers...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Completely fighting the 29er/27.5/lets fvck witht ire sizes to energize the industry craze myself. In the market for a new single speed and all that is out there is fvcking 29ers...
As somebody tall, the 27.5 and 29 make sense.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As somebody tall, the 27.5 make sense.
This is where I'm at. While I hate the idea of a new standard, the 27.5 in an all mountain seems to be what I would want. The 27.5 doesn't seem as goofy to toss around as the 29.

Like SS said, I am officially 6'3" as of last doc visit. An inch lost in about 2 years. :(