Quantcast

New bike and Wifey's totally cool with it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its not all of us that have old bike parts stacked up that needs to be compatible. I got a new 27.5 this year. Even if the wheelset from my old bike fit I would have sold it and gotten something different. Within 26 there has been tons of changes with the new axle standard that I think has made a lot more part obsolete or lets call it forward compatible or change from rim to dics brakes. Not sure why people are making such a big deal out of 27.5 change its just another evolution like the rest of the changes. If you want to ride you old equipment there is plenty of supply of that stuff too just try to look on eBay.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm 6'4 and hate 29ers. Just all kinds of wrong for the trails I ride but even on 'appropriate' trails the demo bikes I rode were uninspiring (turner and 9er).

Resigned/indifferent to 27.5 in the future but not rushing to buy in as my stable is pretty dialed.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was in the same position. 6'4" on a good day. I wanted to go 650 & carbon frame but doing so on a bike I had confidence in would have meant paying significantly more than I wanted to. I figure in a couple of years time the 650 hype will die down & prices will be more reasonable...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I figure in a couple of years time the 650 hype will die down & prices will be more reasonable...
Not sure how that will work out.
My current nomad-c will have to do until I can afford to feed a burro in addition to the cost of the new bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OK, who was it on the monkey that used to make (or maybe still makes?) a carbon DH bike. Metal rode one for a while. The name escapes my old ass.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You guys can complain all you want but the new batch of 650b trail bikes that are out kick ass. My friend has the new Solo which he loves coming from a Stumpjumper and RM's Fool is got a Transition Bandit and I have the GT Sensor. I think we are all super impressed with what these new bikes they are fast and fun

:p :weee:

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good eye its a 60mm Race Face Turbine stem set at negative 6 degree. It was not intentionally. I have now flipped it and will try that instead off. Not because of how it rides but more for overall fit so drop is smaller from seat to bar. I have also lowered the seat a little. Not that I was uncomfortable but I got some chafing which I think was cause by the too high seat position.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You guys can complain all you want but the new batch of 650b trail bikes that are out kick ass. My friend has the new Solo which he loves coming from a Stumpjumper and RM's Fool is got a Transition Bandit and I have the GT Sensor. I think we are all super impressed with what these new bikes they are fast and fun

:p :weee:
I would have loved to get a 27.5, carbon or not, but Yeti doesn't make an XL sb75, sadly.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
CBJ, that GT looks hot. Based on some info I got coming in the mail, a new bike isn't out of the question this season. I know a lot of reason I haven't been riding is because of the 42# beast of a ride I have. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not riding because of bike is a good reason to replace bike. Maybe the best.
It's more of a question of budget. Now that they ladies doc told her she can't run, she is looking at biking. So a pair of bikes will be needed and other things have been priority.

I still would like to find a fork for the RM7. Something like the 66 I had on my VP Free just to make it a little more rideable.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would never sink more money into an old bike like that. So much has happened since it was build.

Glad you like the GT it's super fun to ride.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
indeed. with the deals to be had on nice new bikes these days, you can outfit yourself with a really nice bike for a couple grand. less if you don't intend to ride it super hard.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I still would like to find a fork for the RM7. Something like the 66 I had on my VP Free just to make it a little more rideable.
No. Bad JD, Bad!

I would never sink more money into an old bike like that. So much has happened since it was build.
This. Sometimes the cost to get something newer (not necessarily new), is far better than the cost of fixing the old.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I was just looking at some of the non carbon 27.5's out there.

$3k, interesting.

<edit> Although this is pretty damn hot right here.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not necessarily, I'm putting together a bike for my GF, new frame, wheels with a new take off fork from ebay and a full XT drivetrain from Germany saves/gives a better build than the same cost complete.