HandleBars: Kona DH Primo .72lb
Stem: Raceface d2 DH .65lb
Headset: race face diabolus .4lb
Brakes: Avid codes 1.2lb
Saddle: WTB power V DH 1lb
Seat Post: Easton EC70 zero .67lb
Grips: yeti grips 90grams
Bashguard: MRP system 1 ?lbs

it comes out to around 39-41 pounds. How is this for a build, did I mess anything up? This is the first time ill be building a bike from scratch. Oh yeah, this is for Downhill racing only.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Get an LG1 guide, Welgo MGq pedals (tons of grip and there light), a road saddle, some EA 70 bars and something other than raceface for a stem, like a thompson.

The biggest change i would make would be a judge, its a 12 pound single pivot. One of the main advantages to a single pivot is weight, you don't get that with a judge.

As well the one i did a run in whistler on cornered like a pile of crap

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I think the Judge has a 150mm rear spacing. If so, the wheels you picked won't work. If you want to go the DT Swiss route and have wheels similar to, but better than, the 1750's, get a 440 rear hub with a 240S front. Then get some Competition spokes and lace them to some 5.1d's. For pedals, the grinds just aren't that good. They're heavy, have a large profile, and don't have very good grip. For your drive train, get some X.9 stuff. It's only 25g heavier and shifts just as well. I'd also swap out the bars if I were you. There are a ton of way lighter ones that come to mind (EA70 for example). As for the stem, something direct mount will lower the bars. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Get an LG1 guide, Welgo MGq pedals (tons of grip and there light), a road saddle, some EA 70 bars and something other than raceface for a stem, like a thompson.

The biggest change i would make would be a judge, its a 12 pound single pivot. One of the main advantages to a single pivot is weight, you don't get that with a judge.

As well the one i did a run in whistler on cornered like a pile of crap
I know they ride very well and are fast, I ride a gemini DH now. The frame will not be changing...maybe haha.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I think the Judge has a 150mm rear spacing. If so, the wheels you picked won't work. If you want to go the DT Swiss route and have wheels similar to, but better than, the 1750's, get a 440 rear hub with a 240S front. Then get some Competition spokes and lace them to some 5.1d's. For pedals, the grinds just aren't that good. They're heavy, have a large profile, and don't have very good grip. For your drive train, get some X.9 stuff. It's only 25g heavier and shifts just as well. I'd also swap out the bars if I were you. There are a ton of way lighter ones that come to mind (EA70 for example). As for the stem, something direct mount will lower the bars. Other than that, it looks pretty good.
I might go with Deemax's or fr2350's too they have 150mm spacing a little heavy compaired to the 1750's but oh well. Yeah going with x.9's will save me about $200, do they hold up better than the x.0?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I know they ride very well and are fast, I ride a gemini DH now. The frame will not be changing...maybe haha.
The 2 frames are very diferent
gemini is 2 dagrees steeped in the head tube, the stays are longer and the BB is lower.

The bike is going to ride ALOT diferent from your gemini

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
The 2 frames are very diferent
gemini is 2 dagrees steeped in the head tube, the stays are longer and the BB is lower.

The bike is going to ride ALOT diferent from your gemini
The BB is the same, and would a shallower head angle be better for turning? the geo on the 08 judge is a little tighter than the 05 gemini. I'm not too keen on geometry for bikes so im not sure... top tube on '08 is 59.5 '05 was 61 for a Medium. Should I look at a large frame since the '08 is 61.5? I'm 6ft.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Personally I wouldn't go with a Judge there are a lot of better SP bikes out there. Maybe check out the Chumba Racing F5, Orange, Morewood, etc.

For wheels look into EX823s on Hope Pro2s. That's a light, bombproof combo for under $600

Consider running a Minion DHF in the front with the Highroller rear.

On that nice of a build get nicer pedals than the grinds. A really sweet pedal that most mountainbikers don't know about is the Fly Bikes Ruben. It's the Ruben Alcantara signature pedal. It's really light, has a great profile, tons of grip, they're really tough, and they come in lots of colors.

If it's just for racing check out the Gravity Light crankset.

I'd probably go X.9 but if you can afford it get X.0. The short cage X.9 is weaker than X.0 if anything. The cage is just plastic.

EA70 or Havoc bars.

Use an integrated stem. Sunline, E-13, Chromag.

Thompson post is a given for me. They rock. As for saddles check out the Sunline V-1.

LG1

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
The reason I might be sticking with judge is b/c of a possible sponsorship. And i've had good experience with the gemini in the past, but as stated before the geometry is definitely different smaller head angle, longer wheel base....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Personally I wouldn't go with a Judge there are a lot of better SP bikes out there. Maybe check out the Chumba Racing F5, Orange, Morewood, etc.

For wheels look into EX823s on Hope Pro2s. That's a light, bombproof combo for under $600

Consider running a Minion DHF in the front with the Highroller rear.

On that nice of a build get nicer pedals than the grinds. A really sweet pedal that most mountainbikers don't know about is the Fly Bikes Ruben. It's the Ruben Alcantara signature pedal. It's really light, has a great profile, tons of grip, they're really tough, and they come in lots of colors.

If it's just for racing check out the Gravity Light crankset.

I'd probably go X.9 but if you can afford it get X.0. The short cage X.9 is weaker than X.0 if anything. The cage is just plastic.

EA70 or Havoc bars.

Use an integrated stem. Sunline, E-13, Chromag.

Thompson post is a given for me. They rock. As for saddles check out the Sunline V-1.

LG1
freestyle BMX pedals are not ganna grip well, BMXers don't like bein glued to there pedals.

UST is HEAVY, if its a racing bike.

If you want light go 5.1Ds on 340 hubs with some light spokes and alloy nips

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
freestyle BMX pedals are not ganna grip well, BMXers don't like bein glued to there pedals.

UST is HEAVY, if its a racing bike.

If you want light go 5.1Ds on 340 hubs with some light spokes and alloy nips
They do I've used them.

No it's not.

That would be a great wheelset too. I'd run a 240f 340r.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
They do I've used them.

No it's not.

That would be a great wheelset too. I'd run a 240f 340r.
It is a FACT UST is HEAVYER, there are no eyelits on the inner wall of the rim, AND there are thoes little brass things that thread into the rim that arent counted in the claimed weight.

The rubens have 8 pinner little pins i dont know how thoes would work well

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
UST, if you're running tubeless is lighter than a 521 if you're using anything other than a really lightweight XC tube. Use a regular XC tube and they're the same weight really. Add a DH/FR tube to a 5.1 and your 5.1 wheel will be heavier. Otherwise you're saving very little if any weight.

Use a 721 w/a XC tube and the 823 tubeless will be lighter.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
It is a FACT UST is HEAVYER, there are no eyelits on the inner wall of the rim, AND there are thoes little brass things that thread into the rim that arent counted in the claimed weight.

The rubens have 8 pinner little pins i dont know how thoes would work well
The actual weight of EX823s is 700g the DT5.1 is 500g. Lightweight 2.1 tubes are about 210g. That's not counting the few grams from the rim strips. With UST rims you don't need sealant. Considering the extra beef of the 823 over 5.1 and the fact that you won't pinch and it's an easy decision IMO.

More pins does not mean more grip. At a point having more pins reduces the bite that each individual pin has. Most pedals I've used had more grip after I removed a few strategic pins. The Rubens are perfect.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
there are a few thins that can be changed that are not the best choice. like the handle bars. you can replace those with like sun line's. for the stem replace it with a e.13 direct mount stem. as for head set I know that canecreek makes some of the best ones out there. As for your chain guide. dont listem to all of this mumbo jumbo about the LG1 being such a better guide, it is a great chainguide dont get me wrong but personally I chose the SRS over the LG1 because it offers more protection and plus your build is going to be light as hell any ways

If this helps any I just ordered my new bike from my sponsor morewood

Izium DH small/white 2008
Fox- 40 RC2 ( 203mm )
CANE CREEK Double Barrel rear shox
Industry 9 Wheelset ( red spokes/ blackhub on Mavic 823 rims )
Giga pipe DHLT 119 BB
Hlozfeller DH4 crankset
Formula Ora K24 front and rear, 200mm
E13 SRS chain guide
PC 991 sram chain with power link
sram PG970 cassette 12-26
SRAM X9 rear derallieur short
SRAM X0 trigger shifter
Thomson Stem
Cane Creek headset
Riserbar Holzfeller 710 35rise 8deg 31.8 Mirror black
CaneCreek Lock-on grips
SDG bel air
Thomson Seat post
Maxxis Minion DHF/ DHR

Theres my 2008 bike

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
there are a few thins that can be changed that are not the best choice. like the handle bars. you can replace those with like sun line's. for the stem replace it with a e.13 direct mount stem. as for head set I know that canecreek makes some of the best ones out there. As for your chain guide. dont listem to all of this mumbo jumbo about the LG1 being such a better guide, it is a great chainguide dont get me wrong but personally I chose the SRS over the LG1 because it offers more protection and plus your build is going to be light as hell any ways

If this helps any I just ordered my new bike from my sponsor morewood

Izium DH small/white 2008
Fox- 40 RC2 ( 203mm )
CANE CREEK Double Barrel rear shox
Industry 9 Wheelset ( red spokes/ blackhub on Mavic 823 rims )
Giga pipe DHLT 119 BB
Hlozfeller DH4 crankset
Formula Ora K24 front and rear, 200mm
E13 SRS chain guide
PC 991 sram chain with power link
sram PG970 cassette 12-26
SRAM X9 rear derallieur short
SRAM X0 trigger shifter
Thomson Stem
Cane Creek headset
Riserbar Holzfeller 710 35rise 8deg 31.8 Mirror black
CaneCreek Lock-on grips
SDG bel air
Thomson Seat post
Maxxis Minion DHF/ DHR

Theres my 2008 bike
Ill probably stick with the mrp 1 lol stupid but personal preferance. How much do the 823 I-9 set up weigh? I didn't know cane creek made a rear shock, how is it?

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
as far as weight goes it weighs little of nothing, you should not be really concerned of weight when it comes to wheels, depending on your weight you want something that is going ot hold up over seasons of racing

cane creek is the nicest rear shox on the Market. Period

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Weight is very important with wheels it determines how fast they can spin. I'm 175lbs, 6ft so not that big. In the past I have raced 729's w/ lawless hubs and highroller tires. I figured I would give tubeless a try.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
as far as weight goes it weighs little of nothing, you should not be really concerned of weight when it comes to wheels, depending on your weight you want something that is going ot hold up over seasons of racing

cane creek is the nicest rear shox on the Market. Period
Rotational weight might possibly be the most important area on a bike to save weight.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
UST, if you're running tubeless is lighter than a 521 if you're using anything other than a really lightweight XC tube. Use a regular XC tube and they're the same weight really. Add a DH/FR tube to a 5.1 and your 5.1 wheel will be heavier. Otherwise you're saving very little if any weight.

Use a 721 w/a XC tube and the 823 tubeless will be lighter.
you forget that UST tires are not only HEAVY, but limited in options as far as tires go.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
that are 2500 grams a set vs 1750 for the single ply freerides, thats almost 2 pounds
He's running 2.5". The single ply tires are 2.35" and smaller. Last time I ran single plys with tubes I got 14 flats on 12 runs at 50psi until I couldn't take it anymore. It was retarded.
The 2.5 UST Highrollers are 1300g
The 2.5 3C Highrollers are 1250g
You don't have to use UST tires with UST rims.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
He's running 2.5". The single ply tires are 2.35" and smaller. Last time I ran single plys with tubes I got 14 flats on 12 runs at 50psi until I couldn't take it anymore. It was retarded.
The 2.5 UST Highrollers are 1300g
The 2.5 3C Highrollers are 1250g
You don't have to use UST tires with UST rims.
If you get that many flats on single plys with 50psi, you ride like a hack.

There are other companies that make singly ply 2.5s that hook up well, my point was that UST tires are heavyer and if you are running a non UST tire you need SEALANT

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
If you get that many flats on single plys with 50psi, you ride like a hack.

There are other companies that make singly ply 2.5s that hook up well, my point was that UST tires are heavyer and if you are running a non UST tire you need SEALANT
Or it's a little rocky and you normally ride tubeless. Also light tubes.

Nope don't need sealant. They leak a little at first then seat up nicely.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
that is SUPER sketch.

I would run sealant even with UST tires and rim, ive pinched holes in tires
Depends where you ride. If you're in cactus country then some sealant's not a bad idea. Everywhere I ride is rocky and muddy. Every flat I've ever gotten (almost) has been a pinch flat.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Dude we are talking about a race bike. Any puncture flat that is small enough to seal itself will not leak fast enough to be an issue on a race run.
Stans sealent will seal a BIG hole. I think they use about a quarter inch screwdriver to demonstrate the sealant with, thats more than just a pin hole that wont be an issue.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Overall, the X9 is much stronger. If you compare the two, you would see an overall difference in the amount of material used. The X9 has a lot more on the parallelogram, and on the knuckle (b?). What I'm doing for mine, is using an X9, and putting an X0 cage on it from my old derailleur. Get the best of both worlds!

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
I know a sponsored racer who rode Cannondale Judge for a season. Yes its a single pivot, btw. Also she had some complaints about the linkages holding up and the bearings. Apparantly she was getting a lot of play in the rear suspension (in a side to side motion, not up and down) and she would tighten bolts and various pivot points at the begining of each ride. Not exactly something i would want. Likewise its a longer bike than most DH race bikes and she had some troubles with tight single track cornering. She now rides a glory and loves it a lot more. and so do her race results. Im not saying dont buy a Judge but there are a lot of frames out there that are better. BUt.. if you have to ride one get good parts so you can swap them out next season when you dont like the frame ;)

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Did she keep it properly lubricated and use blue locktight on the bolts or teflon tape? You should tighten everything up before a race anyways... But yeah, I plan on test riding a demo before I build one up or sign on to a sponsorship. Lol it seems like a lot of people are Judge haters.