Quantcast

NEW BIKE: Demo 8 w/ Boxxer WC

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Finally built up my downhill bike for this season. Started buying parts as early as December. Here are the specs:

Specialized Demo 8 Pro frame
2004 Boxxer World Cup
Hadley hubs/MTX rims
Chris King headset
NYCFreeride Blox stem
NYCFreeride Bar Caps
NYCFreeride Glory Hole pedals
Saint disc brakes
Thomson post
Brooklyn Machine Works seat
XTR rear derailler/shifter
XT cassette
Azonic headlock
Azonic bars
Profile cranks
MRP Fusion 3 chainguide
ODI Rogue lock-on grips
Maxxis 2.7 Mobsters

Tell me what you think of it... The bike weighs exactly 45lbs right now. I'm going to change the cranks to something lighter, probably the Truvativ GXP Stylos. I'm selling these new profiles for only 120 bucks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Why some of the (needlessly) heavy parts on a light frame/fork? If I were building a D8 I'd shoot for sub 40. It looks really nice though and I'm sure it rides great! :)

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i think you could cut significant weight by switching out the bars and saddle...just my opinion.

looks killer though!
i thought those framesets came with ti springs?

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Yea I thought it came with Ti spring also, but it didn't. I gotta call Specialized and ask what's up with that. I would consider switching seats, but not the bars. Bars are something I want to trust in, not snap.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree with punkassean on building it to be a little lighter. Drop those cranks/bb and get a lighter setup. You'll save some weight right there. I'd also look to change bars/stem combo with something like the direct mount stem's comming out for the boxxers that accept the top crown/direct mount stem combo. You'd loose some front end weight which would help as well. Also changing the seat might help (that's a huge seat for a "race" bike). I dunno how well the MTX rims run tubeless but it's also an option. I'd think changing out cranks/stem/bars/seat you could save anywhere between 1-2lbs easily.

I couldn't find the stem's weight but I'm guessing it's heavy as it is just a solid chuck drilled out in a way. I'd estimate atleast 50-100g of savings by changing to a direct mount stem. Bars you could drop 50g by getting pro tapers etc. Cranks you could easily shave 200g off of the cranks/bb. That right there is a solid pound. The seat could go as well and save some more, probably anywhere between 25-75g depending on the seat. Just some ideas....

Also how does it shift? I've only seen sram derailuers or regular ones with the rollamajig deal with such short housing on the end. Usually shimano rear derailuers need a good size loop on the end to make it shift right. Just pointing things out :)

Otherwise sick ride. I don't really think anything needs to really change on it but there's room for some improvement, especially on a more race designed frame. If you changed some of the parts around to drop basicly dead and worthless weight on it you'd see a huge difference in how it handles/pedals/jumps etc....

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If Shimano XT cranks fit then id suggest em'.
...heh heh.

Well, I was wondering when a thread about a Demo 8 would pop up... I've been specing, machining (yep you heard me) and building mine for the past 3 months. Started my parts orders way back in October!!! That's how I was the first kid on the block with the new EX823 rim...

XT cranks fit fine on a Demo 8 - that's what I'm running on mine now - a serious problem happens though, when you try to mate those cranks with MRP's new System 3 chainguide - pain in the a$$.

Actually, with a lot of patience, measuring, and access to a machine shop, XT cranks fit fine with the new System 3 - in order to get maximum engagement from the outer pinch-bolt on the non-drive side, I had to compromise the spacing of the chainline a bit - nothing to bad - around 3mm inboard off perfect chain line - but this was just enough to make the chain drag on the inner guide plates. So I had to machine those, AND lathe the rollers to get rid of the ridges - that way the chain could follow the proper line over the rollers w/o bending - the ridges aren't really necessary anyway - If you go to BTI's website and look under MRP, you'll see the Tomac MRP rollers - completely smooth w/ no grooves...

As far as the Demo 8 frame kit coming w/ a Ti spring - I think that option is either available according to RCS's production, or only avail. on export frame kits - In last months issue of Dirt, they built up a Demo 8 just like mine - Mavic tubeless, Rac Face X-Type BB, but mine has the XT's instead of the Diabolus cranks... They had a Ti spring on their frame kit right out of the box, plus I've seen them advertised that way for sale on most of the Brit bike websites...

You'll see it soon - it's gonna be badass, I'll post pics.

Also, I don't think you can get a Demo 8 below 40lbs w/ regular DH tires (2.5's) - I've run all kinds of calculations, and it would seem that the frame is a bit on the heavy side for a DH race bike.

Diesel - f#@%&! sweet ride man. :D

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
yea i was gonan get a demo 8 frame but i opted for the 223 instead cuz i like the feeling of a single pivot suspension.

as for the ti spring the frame was supposed to ship with a little card that you could select your spring weight and send it in then they would send you the correct spring. what would be the point of specing a bike with a ti spring when its gonna be too soft or to hard for 70% of the people

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I bet its a great bike, but every time I see one, I think they look like some kind of insect. I dont know, a grasshopper, or a mantis or something.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
smedford said:
I bet its a great bike, but every time I see one, I think they look like some kind on insect. I dont know a grasshopper or a mantis or something.
definatly got the praying mantis thing goin on.

did anyone ever watch the show "Mantis"... i thought that was the sh*t back in the day.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Sweet, great looking ride. In addition to the Ti spring that you should get and the tubeless suggestion, I would recommend the Romic crown/stem. Super stiff and great looking. One of the MTBR guys has his D8 to a claimed 40lbs...so you can easily drom some poundage.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
I'm getting a Ti spring for it, I had to fill out a little form that came with the bike, so now I have to wait for Specialized to send it to me.