Quantcast

New Bike Hauler

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My GTI is hitting 100,000 miles. It is going to need some time in the shop for timing belts etc. Figured I'd pick up something used with low miles as a backup.

Or maybe it is just a pit to throw money into and spend hours doing driveway Yoga.

82,000 miles. Decent body, decent engine, Trans needs some work. Turn signals do not work. No power brakes, steering or radio. Simple little machine.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I had a 68' 2-door and my girlfriend had a wagon just like that one, ironically she sold her GTI to buy it. She drove it for 2 years I think.

They're easy to work on, simple and stout. I recall they use the same suspension pieces as a early(er) mustang.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Any modifications? or you just going to button 'er up and make everything work like its supposed too?

She drives pretty close to stock at this point. I would like to improve the drive-ability with some more modern upgrades. Someone already added some stainless brake lines and upgraded swayl bars but something about 48 year old single circuit unboosted brakes and 4" wide 85 series tires that doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I would like to put some 16x7 wheels on there, stock looking preferably, some era accurate mags would be nice. Stiffen up the suspension by lowering it 1.5". Of course heavier wheels and tires require more power. Volvo published a performance manual that should be good for 30% more horsies. Shaved head for more compression, lumpy cam, port matched heads and manifolds and a nice exhaust.

The car came with some nice modern dual 45mm Mikuni carbs but the choke cable was never made. Started to fabricate a connection out of shifter cable and housing, tempted to connect it to a set of thumb shifters mounted under the dash.

Trunk interior isn't worth saving. Might dress it up with some cedar strips and stainless rails. I am much better with wood than I am with cloth and cardboard.

Last edited: