Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Eat moar bacon

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
So I'm in the market for a new trail bike and have narrowed down to 4 bikes, well 4 frames. Currently a ride a 2007 Giant Reign which has been upgraded a lot over the years. I love everything about the bike especially how well it climbs with out needing to lock out the shock or use the propedal. It's always full open and performs great, the rear shock has been tuned by Push.
I want a similar travel bike with 27.5 wheels, I have narrowed it down to what I have access to at a discount and what I think will perform well.
1. The new Giant Trance 27.5 1 or the Trance advanced 27.5 0 I'm skeptical that the maestro suspension is the same as the 100% DW link rip off I currently have on my 2007 Giant. From my research it seems that I really like the anti squat characteristics on my current bike.
2. Turner Burner. What I said about the giant pretty much sums this one up. Build will be based on how much $$$ I have on hand. Which is why my choice with the Trance varies so much.
3. Norco Sight. Horst link, I can get a deal, I like the look of the bike.
4. Rocky Mountain attitude

Thoughts?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
+1 on the Sight. Check out the "rally edition" of the Altitude. I just convinced a buddy to order one today. If you like DW designs and want 650b, theres also the Devinci troy and the Pivot Mach6.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I thought about pivot but I don't have access to discounts with them. I'm leaning towards the Sight but in not thrilled about the components on the alloy ones and I don't know yet if I can swing $5000+ for a carbon

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1. The new Giant Trance 27.5 1 or the Trance advanced 27.5 0 I'm skeptical that the maestro suspension is the same as the 100% DW link rip off I currently have on my 2007 Giant. From my research it seems that I really like the anti squat characteristics on my current bike.
pretty huge price difference b/w those two models. have you looked at the Trance SX? its a bit slacker and longer here and there and should be a bit more like your Reign. weve been selling a ton of the Giant and SC 650B's.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Trancesx is too slack, my current reign is not very slack, 69* maybe a hair more slack since I put a 150mm fork on but still pretty steep compared to more modern bikes.

I'm really starting to lean towards the Norco Sight carbon 7.1 now I just need to make more $$$ so I can actually afford it.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
get a 2010 reign xo...think i saw one on here for cheap

with the 36 its a 67deg HA

the bike rails..

the contest to see who has the slackest headangle is gay..unless you are riding wc tracks on your trail bike the reign is more than capable..

i wouldnt spend $$thousands more to get 650b wheels..just run some 2.5s

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Trancesx is too slack, my current reign is not very slack, 69* maybe a hair more slack since I put a 150mm fork on but still pretty steep compared to more modern bikes.
if you think your bike is slacker then its 69* stock HA, then you arent going to notice another 1* that the SX has

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
Have been looking myself and the norco is sitting at the top of the list of 650 bikes for me, but models are limited in the southern part of the world that I live in.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The Norco's are nice, but how about the Dixon? A little too much bike? Deals on Yetis are around too...

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
have you looked at the Trance SX? its a bit slacker and longer here and there and should be a bit more like your Reign. weve been selling a ton of the Giant and SC 650B's.
Have you tried one out yourself yet? I'd be really interested in your ride impressions. FYI, i'm currently on a coil sprung ReignX and looking for something a little lighter but still slack for trail riding.
Also, do you know if the Fox 34s on the SX have the new compression tune for 2014?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just seeing this now, but my vote is for the norco. Awesome frame, well designed, and would be a great bike whether 650b or not. I guess it has a lot of anti-squat, so if you're one of those people that like the way that specializeds pedal, then it's probably not for you.

I really, really want to like the turner burner, between it's retro name, made in the US quality, and everyone's favorite acronymlink...but they really missed the boat on geometry, with its 17.6" chainstays. You can easily get a shorter stayed 29er nowadays...and unless you're riding socal trails, that's gonna make for a sluggish bike, which is the opposite of why you would want a 650b wheel.

DW designed the new giants to be 150% efficient, but then they pantsed him and stole his lunch money, so they'll probably be awesome bikes, or explode immediately. One or the other.

I don't really have an opinion on the RM, but any bike that advertises itself as a "Rally edition" cannot be taken seriously...

agenthamsta

Chimp
Apr 25, 2011
Nevada
Of all the 650b/27.5's I've test ridden this past season, the Giant rode the best in my area and I felt most comfortable on it. I test rode the SC 5010 and the Norco Range Killer B-2, while the SC was the lightest the Giant still felt like it accelerated and climbed faster than both, the roll over factor was awesome and just so much fun on my local trails.