Quantcast

new bike time-help me pick

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I am loving my Socom with a front derailer as a do all bike. It has handled 25 mile XC rides to numerous trips to Whister, Fernie, and Silver Star. I like having a 8" travel do all bike. Just last week I sold my wifes 05 Big Hit and she wants my Socom. So I need a new bike.
I want a 8" travel DH/FR bike that I can pedal up hill and that will take a front derailer or a Hammer Schmidt.

Bikes Ive been looking at but there are some disadvantages.

Canfield Can-Diggle-it only has 2" of seatpost adjustment and Im not running a telescoping seatpost

Another Socom-I would like to just try something different

Cove STD-I keep hearing horror stories about customer service

Any other ideas?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
ellsworth rogue - a little steeper and higher then your socom, but similar weight

I just ordered a large canfield lucky. Its their old DH/FR bike (the jedi replaced it). Its a little heavier then your socom (frame weight is 10.5lbs) and its got DH geo (13.7bb in 7 inch setting, 14.1 in 8) you can run full length seats and front ders if you so choose. The One might work too?

Knolly V-Tach too http://www.knollybikes.com/frames/vtach/specifications-geometry.aspx

I will be running my lucky in 7x7 mode with a 66rc3 up front and be doing some climbing on it, thanks to xc friends and the fact that I can't afford two bikes (just gonna run 36x11-34, no front der) with a 37-38 lb build. I'll let you know how that goes. I expect it to be fairly brutal since climbing with a sub 14inch BB and 65 degree HA sounds like about as much fun as sticking my fist in a wolfs mouth, but I like riding DH so I'm getting a DH bike.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No thanks on an Ellsworth.

I looked at the Knolly V-tach and Delirium. The V-tach is too spendy and HEAVY. The Delirium doesnt have enough travel.

I would love a Canfield Lucky but they dont make them anymore. I heard they have a few left. Maybe they have a small. Ill call them today.

Anyone else?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe try ordering a lapierre froggy from Canada (not available in us). I've heard there is a limited model that comes stock with hammerschmidt and was very light.

If not I'd go canfield.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
the canfield is a nice bike. wait and see if mr. canfield bullcrew chimes in with all details on the canfield.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you are gonna use a Hammer Schmidt then that makes it a lot easier, any dh bike with iscg 05 mounts will do the job. just depends how much you are willing to suffer going up as most dh bikes dont climb that well as a socom.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
if you are gonna use a Hammer Schmidt then that makes it a lot easier, any dh bike with iscg 05 mounts will do the job. just depends how much you are willing to suffer going up as most dh bikes dont climb that well as a socom.
No offense but I think your mistaken. The Hammer Schmidt is based on a 22 and 24 tooth ring chainline. Most DH bikes are designed around a 32 - 38 chain height. That means the suspension will lift dramatically and have massive pedal kick.
And they offer it in a iscg-03 as well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It just hit me.
Kanter have you though about sth with adjustable geo? I know some commencal and lapierre bikes have it. Also scott and corsair. Don't know what else but maybe it's worth to look at it if it is to be a do it all bike.
Also a nicolai would be a good idea as you can order a frame tailoered for you (included in the price).

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I was told the ONE has 4-4.5" of seatpost adjustment.

How does the Lucky pedal for climbing?
don't know if you've already picked, but I'm getting my lucky in tomorrow. I'll be running it in 7x7 with a CCDB and a 66rc3 - I want DH geo, so I'm getting a lucky, but I ride Freerideish - not slow hits etc, but fast steep stuff with some jumps here and there that I have to climb up from time to time. I also wanna have DH geo for the resorts.

Chris was telling me they have 3 smalls left that are going for 1500 on closeout with a DHX5.0.

some geo specs - 17.1 CS, 13.8inch BB (maybe 13.7, but pretty sure its 8 I'll measure it built) with 7x7 mode and 66rc3, 65 degree HA. I'll give some real world measurements when I have it build up tomorrow. It is a 10.5lb bike though, so its not super light.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
WTF is Magna DH?

Supreme DH seems nice but it is very slack. Maybe the normal supreme or furious?