Quantcast

New bike time

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
It looks like I will get over $2500 for my stolen bike from insurance. It's time to evaluate what I'll want to ride from May-October.
Do I go with more of what I had (freeride medium travel trail build)? Suck it up and go XC? Or full on DH? Ideally I would like to race DH and get out to the mountains more. I just don't always have the 2-6 hours of driving time it takes to get most places.

Is it easy to get into the DH scene here? What are my options? I'll have my singlespeed for the local street/jumps at least (should be done in a week!!)

AV

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
Bullit can do everything depending on how you build it up. I use my for trail riding and urban. PM me if you want to try my Bullit or Intense 5.5 EVP since I am right around the corner from you in Clarendon.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
get another preston. your the reason i got mine! and you know you love the bike as well. the way you had that bike setup it could d most anything at most of the resorts out there. even dh racing if you had a little burlier fork.

maybe look into a dirt bag. with maybe a boxxer ride fork (5-7"). that setup is a little stronger and not too much heavier (about 4 lbs more than preston/pike)

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Don't forget about vpfree's. If I yank my shiver off and slap on my Minute and lighter wheel, I drop the weight down to 34 lbs which makes for a trail friendlier bike. Same weight as a bullit I think! A vpfree set-up like mine will allow you to ride xc and bust out on the dh when the occasion calls for it.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
wood-dog said:
Don't forget about vpfree's. If I yank my shiver off and slap on my Minute and lighter wheel, I drop the weight down to 34 lbs which makes for a trail friendlier bike. Same weight as a bullit I think! A vpfree set-up like mine will allow you to ride xc and bust out on the dh when the occasion calls for it.
VP's :cool:

How do you like yours with the Shiver? Mine should be built by the end of the month but I'm keeping the shiver on till I save up for a 40 or 888. I'm real concerned about it being nose heavy since I'll be tubeless.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Pretty good chance I'll go with a Dirtbag. The geometry on my Preston was perfect and it's the same spec as the Dirtbag (with considerations for BB height and travel). Not to mention it's $999 new. AS-X is the runner up at the moment but is approximately $300 more.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
With $2500 I'd go with one of them thar new BigHits....but that's what I'm buying in April so if you're gonna buy one get it soon so you can tell me how it is.

More importantly, riding spots...

One of the guys I ride with all the time is in Alexandria and we hit Frederick most weekends in the spring/summer/fall. That's an hour away. There's also some trails a couple hours away in the Shenandoha Valley but we're going to explorer (try to shuttle) this season. Four hours away gets you to Snowshoe where we're looking at being at least a few times this season. There's also Diablo.

There's gotta be more that I'm forgetting...

Regardless, the 06/07 season is all about looking flirty on 6-7" travel bikes with singlecrowns. Can't go wrong. ;)

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
You could buy my used Giant Team DH and still have enough money left for another bike. And I will also have two others for sale.

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Go with the Heckler with DHX Air, with some nice single crown forks. Buy two sets of wheels, beefy when you're in the mountians, and skinny when you're on a XC trail. You probably will not win any races but it will be a hell of a lot of fun and more versitile.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Alright, looks like I'm going with a Yeti.
AS-X with DHX Coil and 66 RC2X. Would still like a Dirtbag if it could drop 2 pounds... 11 pounds is fatty fat fat.

I received half of the insurance money today. Hopefully they'll quit trying to short me and respond to my complaint about their inaccurate replacement cost calculations.