Quantcast

New bike

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Yo guys, I'm in the market for a new ride, and I hate to do this to ya, but I need some help on which bike would do me best. First some **** about me; Im 6'6" which makes my choices slim... weigh 210, I used to bmx believe it or not until I had enough money to start buying dirtbikes... currently im on a cr250 (if anyones farmiliar), but I plan on selling it because I just dont enjoy it as much as cycling. I will be using my bike in the northeast woods, and on the streets for everything from stairs to dirtjumps to trails to technical rocky sections. I know your answer will naturally be to get a few bikes, but i dont have the money for that yet. I have about 700-900$ to spend, less being better, and Im kind of confused what to get. Here are the bikes that Ive been looking at:

Haro escape 8.2
Haro extreme X1
Jamis Komodo
Specialized enduro

I know there a ton of other bikes out there for me... but thats where you guys come in and help. :thumb: thanks a lot everyone.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The problem with trying to get a "do it all" bike is you end up with a

Suzuki DRS 400 that is not very "Street" yet not really a "dirt" bike. It will do both but not the best.

I would suggest a hard tail if you are going to be jumping and beating on the frame.....it just might last you longer.

Check out the Kona Series made for teh Clydesdale size men (not a knock....I am FAT) They will ru you about your price range and come with a good spec (slanted towards the big guys) and might be your best bet before deciding you want more than one bike. :D

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Hey,, thanks a lot guys that was a HUGE help. I completely overlooked kona. Rhino do you ride dirtbikes? if you do what do you have? Thanks again ill start looking for a hoss soon... seems like a big beefy frame which i definitely need. You guys know anyone that wants a dirtbike?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Hoss would be a great bike for you! Both those Haros are nice too, I've riden them both. Let us know how you make out! :D

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
thanks man... actually im going out west for a few days in a little over a week to do some boarding, when i come back i plan on going down to my bike shop and purchasing the Hoss in a 22" frame. I checked out the reviews of the hoss and other bikes last night on mtbreview.com, seemed like a good site overall-may be able to help some of you guys out too. thanks again!

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Is there any way I can find a Kona Hoss for less than the $800 tag? I would love to be able to buy this bike sooner rather than later.... Is there anywhere I can find maybe the 2004/3 model of it? thanks again.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
sugarbushrider1 said:
Hey,, thanks a lot guys that was a HUGE help. I completely overlooked kona. Rhino do you ride dirtbikes? if you do what do you have? Thanks again ill start looking for a hoss soon... seems like a big beefy frame which i definitely need. You guys know anyone that wants a dirtbike?
I grew up riding in the PNW. Mostly Trail riding with Desert racing and harescrambles thrown in there.

I am on an 03 Specialized Hard Rock Pro, basically it is a cheapy HT with a frame that is a little beefier. I wouldn't say it is the perfect bike but it works for a XC rig for a heavy guy. It was priced closer to $500 but the square taper cranks that came stock (in 03) didn't last long. The newer models might have an ISIS set up.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5840&JServSessionIdroot=c7wcj912g3.j27011

If you are looking to get rough on the bike I would opt for the Kona Hoss over this bike....but this Spec has done me well when I needed something cheap.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
sugarbushrider1 said:
Is there any way I can find a Kona Hoss for less than the $800 tag? I would love to be able to buy this bike sooner rather than later.... Is there anywhere I can find maybe the 2004/3 model of it? thanks again.
That all depends on what you and your local bike shop can work out. Any left over stock is kind of like a treasure hunt....sometimes you just stumble upon it.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
At that price, definitely go with a hardtail, the rear shock and frame design costs eat the budget up pretty fast in that category of full sus. bikes.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
sugarbushrider1 said:
Feel free to baragain with your bike shop, as far as I know, they understand that it is a big purchase, and are willing to bargain just like everyone else. Find a good shop and build a really good relationship with them, this will help you get good deals and advice later

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
You might want to look at Kona's dirt jumper series (shred,scrap,stuff) I think they have a more freeride geometry than the Hoss. Also look at the Norco hardtails, maybe the Rocky Mountail Flow, Azonic Evolution or DS-1 (only come as a frame though)
Steel? Azonic Steelhead or Kona Scrap

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mountain Cycle Rumble. It's a jumper/street type frame that Cambriabike.com is currently blowing out for $219. I'd link you, but the site uses frames, so it's not too useful...just click on www.cambriabike.com and search the site for "Mountain Cycle."

I have one, and kitted it out as a cross-country bike (flat bars, 100mm stem, layback post, road seat, Fox TALAS fork for adjustability) and it kicks ASS uphill and down, so I'd say it's pretty good all-round for what you're looking for, and it's going cheap. Build it up with a 70mm or so stem and Marzocchi fork (best for your weight, IMHO) and it'll be a kickass all-round technical bike. It's a frame-only, so you'll need to buy the build kit, too, and have them assemble it for you. Cambria should do you a deal on a complete bike, and has some good deals on old-model Marzocchis, too. I'd call them.

It's an awesome, high-end, American-built bike...I'd 100% recommend it, especially for this price. Much nicer than the Azonic frames. The large should fit you pretty well, too, with a 24" top tube.

Santa Cruz Chameleon, I'm told, also makes a decent xc, jump/freeride bike, and Santa Cruz does ship bikes to its dealers with build kits.

I think the Kona is a good idea, too, if you need a bike that's just sitting at the local shop waiting to roll away.

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
I would look at the Kona Hoss. It is made for the bigger guy. I have heard no complaints thus far, but I think that it would make you a great ride and the price is not to bad.

Good luck on your choice!