Quantcast

New Bike!!!

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
I am going to be getting a new bike. I am stuck between a Trek 4500 or a Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc. They are both about the same price. I know they are not hardcore bikes, but I do not ride hard enough to justify that - yet. We are getting into biking and doing a lot of it as a family now. Which bike would you guys reccomend, or is it going to be a wash. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are links to the bikes:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32573
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4500

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Laura started out on a Hardrock & liked it alright but she quickly upgraded after a season. It could take all should could dish out.

Maybe she will chime in.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure what the shop might carry, but don't rule out Iron Horse for solid low end bikes either. Also the Diamond Back Response isn't bad.

For that level of bike, the major difference will be in components and fork. At that price point, you can't really go wrong with any shop sponsored brand. Ride each one and pick what feels best.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Get the Hardrock. Ride the crap out of it. Buy other bikes. Return to the Hardrock in a couple/few years and make it awesome.
Yep. My wife had a Hardrock w/ disks. The brakes weren't that great but the bike was SOLID. A few years later I built one up because hers was such a good bike.

Nothing bad to say about them, plus I believe they have a lifetime warranty. I have no experience with the Trek....

Here's a pic of the Hardrock I put together.....

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I was walking into a strip mall dive bar (imagine that) 6 or 7 years ago and a guy was coming out of the the pawn shop next door with a dejected look on his face pushing a 4500. Long story short: $40 later and I was hooked on riding for the third time in my life.

Bought a Hard Rock when the 4500 (both great starter bikes) got stolen and have been upgrading ever since.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I was walking into a strip mall dive bar (imagine that) 6 or 7 years ago and a guy was coming out of the the pawn shop next door with a dejected look on his face pushing a 4500. Long story short: $40 later and I was hooked on riding for the third time in my life.

Bought a Hard Rock when the 4500 (both great starter bikes) got stolen and have been upgrading ever since.
Still have the Hardrock? I should have made mine into a SS, but sold it when a friend offered me an absolutely like new Enduro Pro & AM1 fork for an incredible price....should have kept that thing :huh:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously, those brakes on the Sp ED suck ass. Both of the selections are very solid bikes, but on teh Sp ed you will notice it is an elastomer fork, where the trek is an entry line oil filled fork, For that level of bike, just get vbrakes, they will work out better in the long run. If you want to go with the Specialized, get the version that has the version without the disc brakes, you will find that the money they save on the brakes, you will get better components IE the fork for example.

So between the two you have listed, get the trek, if you want other suggestions PM me

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
When searching for bikes, avoid those that have Tektro or Promax disc brakes(or be prepared to upgrade). Those things are complete garbage, along the lines of old canti's, but worse. V's are the way to go, like DM said.

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
It is now between the Fezzari and the Trek. It looks like the Fezzari has Shimano disc brakes, I assume they are OK. I am kind of leaning towards the Trek, as I can get it locally and do not have to order it. Will probably make my decision in the next couple of days. Any last minute advice on these two would be appreciated.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is now between the Fezzari and the Trek. It looks like the Fezzari has Shimano disc brakes, I assume they are OK. I am kind of leaning towards the Trek, as I can get it locally and do not have to order it. Will probably make my decision in the next couple of days. Any last minute advice on these two would be appreciated.
Don't buy what you can't ride. At least ride one local, then order it.

I'm a fan of supporting the local shop, at least until you get an idea of what you are looking for. If the Trek fits well and your local shop doesn't suck, then that's a good reason to buy.

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
OK - think I am going to pick up the Trek today. I have a feeling this is going to be an addictive hobby. We have been riding a few times and I already find myself really looking forward to the next ride.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A good shop that supports customers is huge too. Any good shop will take the time to fit you and your style to the right bike, then make sure it's ready to ride out the door. They should also give a free checkup and adjustment (my local shop does it for one year or something) because cables stretch as things break in.

Riding is an addictive hobby, worse is racing.

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
OK - so i got the Trek 4500. The green/black one. I was kind of in a hurry at the bike store when I finally decided on the model and it came time to pay. So, I handed the man my card and signed the slip. I rushed home, went to swim practice and returned home for the night. I had talked the bike store down to $539 from the MSRP of $579. I pulled out my receipt and noticed they rang up the wrong price of $439. I feel bad about it, and after thinking about this all night, I am going to return to the shop today and point out their mistake. I have decided that $100 is not worth the guilt.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
OK - so i got the Trek 4500. The green/black one. I was kind of in a hurry at the bike store when I finally decided on the model and it came time to pay. So, I handed the man my card and signed the slip. I rushed home, went to swim practice and returned home for the night. I had talked the bike store down to $539 from the MSRP of $579. I pulled out my receipt and noticed they rang up the wrong price of $439. I feel bad about it, and after thinking about this all night, I am going to return to the shop today and point out their mistake. I have decided that $100 is not worth the guilt.
Dude, that's awesome, good for you on making the right decision. And congrats on getting the bike!! Now go out and ride!!!!

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
I am going to ride this Sunday local here in Yucaipa - and then Memorial Day weekend in the San Diego area. Thanks.