Quantcast

new bike

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
ok guys i know there are probably like ten thousand of these threads out there but im in a pickle and i have no idea what to do. i am trying to build up a dirty race bike for next season and i have about 5 frames that i could get for various prices.
i could get a 06 V10 for 2250 complete with boxxer team fork
07 Socom frame with 07 dhx 5 with a chris king headset for 1900
08 bottle rocket frame no shock for around a grand
07 morewood frame with cane creek double barrel for 1400
06 M3 frame for 1600

im kinda leaning towards the v10 and the socom but any input would be awesome, thanks alot

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
have you looked for turners get the dhr or that v10. socom sucks you have to replace the bearings every 6 months and the fro link is **** it is very weak.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
bottle rocket is not ah frame. infact it is meant for (pos) it was a joke because people say dh so i said pos to make another acronym for what this bike is. lets move on now. m3 frames... dont even get me started! morewood, i wanted one but now i dont because from what i hear they too can join the bottle rockets in the trash. so Dammit we are running out of options! looks like we have narrowed it down to a turner and a v10. Choose now

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
If I am reading correctly, $2250 will buy you a 2006 V10 ready-to-roll; the other options are a frame and one or two accessories.

I would definitely steer towards the Santa-Cruz; not only a great bike, but it will probably be the cheapest in the end if you have to order and ship all the other components for the other choices

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
well yea but i was looking for a single pivot. the v10 and the m3 were the only ones that arent single pivot. does anyone know of any other single pivots. (i dont know if a turner is but even if it is i dont wanna hear it joey)

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
im pretty sure the turner in a single pivot. its hard to explain but it has something to do with the axle and the amount of times the swing arm moves before the axle.

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
yeah i was looking at the 224 but i dont have the money to spend like 2500 on a frame alone. i think im just gonna go with the v10 but if you guys ahve any other ideas please let me know.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
well yea but i was looking for a single pivot. the v10 and the m3 were the only ones that arent single pivot. does anyone know of any other single pivots. (i dont know if a turner is but even if it is i dont wanna hear it joey)
The Socom isn't single pivot either. Basically you listed 5 bikes, 3 of which use some sort of virtual pivot and two that are single pivot, but one of the single pivots you listed isn't a DH bike. There are a lot of single pivot DH bikes out there. Kona stab comes to mind, Iron horse Yakuza series, cannondale judge, foes dhs (I think), GT DHi (i think). There are tons of frames out there that utilize a single pivot. I'm sure others with more knowledge can chime in.

I haven't ridden any of those rigs but from a money standpoint, that v10 is going to be your best bet. Everything else is going to end up costing more once you get all the necessary components.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
a vw doesnt go as fast or handle as well as a Porche

Just because a bike is a single pivot doesnt mean it will handle like all single pivots.

so many little details will change the end result...................................................

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Why do Morewoods belong in the garbage? There stuff is GREAT... I have owned 3 frames with NO complaints.

ornj

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
It would be ridiculous to compare some of those bikes to each other. Are you looking for long travel? You are a bit all over the place.

You say you like a single pivot, the Morewood will not disappoint you, I don't know what that jerseydirt was yammering about up there with his atrocious train of thought.

Anyways, It would probably be more beneficial to match up a frame style with your expectations and riding style then look for a frame that fits that bill. Who cares who makes it as long as it's built strong and you are happy with it. Don't just buy something because it is available.

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
i could do that. but im looking for a stricktly like race oriented bike. its my first year racing and im not too good at it but it is so much fun and awesome and i love it. sorry. but i have an 06 big hit that i ride/race with now. it gets the job done but i just wanna have a bike for race or downhill only.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
i could do that. but im looking for a stricktly like race oriented bike. its my first year racing and im not too good at it but it is so much fun and awesome and i love it. sorry. but i have an 06 big hit that i ride/race with now. it gets the job done but i just wanna have a bike for race or downhill only.
correction, your big hit does a dirty job.
:cheers:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
v-10 turner dhr, 0r a cove shocker. case dismissed. o before you do any of this go on the websites and look at the geo and compare the bike to your height and stuff