Quantcast

New Boxxer Race or New 05 888rc ?

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I seriously need a new fork (just bent lowers on mine and is not worth to fix it). I have a american friend who rides dh too and live here, he is now in US and is getting me any fork that I want when hes back.

The fork is going to a Giant Faith with a Fox dhx 4.0 shock:
Rider Weight: 172 pounds
Style: aggresive and not so smooth (working on it:busted:)
Budget: 600 bucks max.
My options so far (brand new forks):

05 Marzocchi 888 rc (170mm verison is still tall?) for 490 $ (brake dive?)

07 Boxxer race for 600 $ (problem cames with tall upper and my headtube length including headset is 150mm:disgust1: ) besides that, maybe stock sping is too stiff?

By now those are my options
And I don't know if the basic Motion control of the boxxer race is better than the trusty HSCV form a 05 zocchi......

I may consider used

Any kind of advice will be welcome. :monkeydance:

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
never rode the boxxer race so i can't comment on how it feels. but since both forks are new i would opt for the 888 due to the external adjustments making it less of a hassle. it might be a bit heavier but since you state that your not that smooth than i don't think the weight will effect you. Plus its only a pound heavier. I wouldn't worry about it being an 05 either.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
888 all the way. I've always liked the feel of my 888 more than any boxxer that i've felt, and I just trust a marzocchi more too. External adjustments are nice too. I've been riding my '05 888 really hard for a year and a half now and i haven't had any problems at all.

'05 888 at 7" will be taller than most 7" forks, but i don't think that i'll be too tall for a faith.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
what should I do?

1)Get the Race and Short top crown, soft (silver?) spring and perform the "Udi" gate modification to control the lsc blowoff.

2)Get the 888, adjust oil level bolt it on and forget.