Quantcast

New brakes?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Well, I'm building up a dh bike. I have everything figured out. I thought i knew which brakes to get, but I remembered another option... stupid me. So i'm not sure which ones to get. it'll be either Avid 7's with 8" of course, or should I get magura gustav m's? I've ridden the gustavs before and I liked them quite a bit, it wasn't on my bike and it was only for a couple minutes that i was able to ride them. They caught me off guard as for how much power they had, but i wasn't able to ride them enough to get used to them. Have people had pretty good luck with them? I was reading on nsmb.com and they had a really high mark from people that had been riding them for a long time. there was only one guy who had trouble, but it was for stupid reasons. Anyways. What do you think would be the better choice? avids? or magura?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
the avids are nice and out of the two would be my choice. (i'm not a magura fan at all)
but you should think about the saints, i was a skeptic about them when i saw them, but after a bit of time riding them, they are the best feeling brake ever!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I've ridden hopes, and I don't really like how they feel. personal opinion I guess. alot of people like them, I've hoped on a bike with the 6ti's and they felt ok. just a very strange feeling that I'm not sure if i liked or not. I guess I jsut wasn't used to them.

I've had magura louise brakes in the past, and I know someone who had louise freerides, and he had a problem with the lever leaking, and they sent him a set of 2005 levers for his 2002 brakeset. made all the difference in the world. I think their customer service is great.

I've tooled around on a diamondback that had saints. They were a pretty nice feeling brake. I jsut don't want to deal with ordering the calipers with adaptors and rotors, then ordering seperate levers and housing and the fitings, and then having to order 6 bolt rotors because the center lock won't work with my hadley hubs... good feeling brakes though. just not sure if its worth the hastle or not

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
iridebikes said:
I've tooled around on a diamondback that had saints. They were a pretty nice feeling brake. I jsut don't want to deal with ordering the calipers with adaptors and rotors, then ordering seperate levers and housing and the fitings, and then having to order 6 bolt rotors because the center lock won't work with my hadley hubs... good feeling brakes though. just not sure if its worth the hastle or not
a bit of a hastle yes, but it might be worth it.

or just buy the avids. they feel good too.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I have yet to ride a set of avids that are broken in fully. Why would you choose them over the magura's?

I'm asking only because I want more information about braking quality and how they last. I just want to know why you'd choose one over the other.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
iridebikes said:
I have yet to ride a set of avids that are broken in fully. Why would you choose them over the magura's?

I'm asking only because I want more information about braking quality and how they last. I just want to know why you'd choose one over the other.

I'd go with the avids based purely on the fact that you will actaully be able to find pads and parts for them when needed. They are also lighter and although I've never had gustavs, I havent been impressed with the maguras I have owned/used. They could very well be good brakes, but I trust the avids.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
The Juicy 7s I test-rode on a mate's bike a while ago were hands down the best brake I've ever felt/used. Power like you wouldn't believe, a nice lever feel (bit softer than Hayes, but a lot firmer than Hopes - kinda like Shimanos I guess), and most importantly (to me), an extremely violent grab when you want it.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've got the Avid Juicy 5's in the 8 in. version and they have fully broken in and feel incredible!!! Only difference from the Seven's is that pad dial thingy on the lever.....other than that, same brake. It took about ten good rides to get them broken in, but once they started, every single ride they got stronger and stronger. You can modulate them very nicely, were a breeze to set up, and will snap your head clean off you body if you need to stop that quickly.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I haven't ridden them but based on things I've read I am going to be going with Juicy 5s for my new trail bike. I was wondering what you guys suggest for sizing for a bigger guy (240 lbs) for a trail/xc bike. I was thinking about 7" up front, 6" in back. But what I was wondering is does anyone know the weight differences between the 6, 7 and 8 inch models?

edit:

found it online. here it is for anyone else who was wondering:

450g (160mm)
460g (185mm)
475g (203mm)

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Greyhound said:
I've got the Avid Juicy 5's in the 8 in. version and they have fully broken in and feel incredible!!! Only difference from the Seven's is that pad dial thingy on the lever.....other than that, same brake. It took about ten good rides to get them broken in, but once they started, every single ride they got stronger and stronger. You can modulate them very nicely, were a breeze to set up, and will snap your head clean off you body if you need to stop that quickly.
Good, I just bought some Juicy 5s and they seem to be taking forever to break in. Maybe I just need to ride a little more!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
WheelieMan said:
Good, I just bought some Juicy 5s and they seem to be taking forever to break in. Maybe I just need to ride a little more!

Absolutely......Out of the box, they wouldn't stop a runny nose. But on that 5th or 6th ride, you'll notice the pad material building up on the rotors....and then thay just get stronger and stronger.........Definately one of the best products of '04.