Quantcast

New build, chain broke, ideas?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So I built up a commuter single speed recently.
After putting it all together I decided to use a 48/19 gearing since I already had a Surly 19t cog. I got lucky and had an LX 48t chainring I never used from a triple set so I slapped it on figuring I'd use it temporarily to see if I like the gearing. I do like the ratio so I put in an order for a new pairing of 35/14. I used a SRAM PC-1 chain (same as I've used on my jumping hardtail for almost 2 years now) and went on my first test ride. About 2 miles in I had come to a stop at a stop sign, came to a trackstand stop, and laid some power down to get going again. On the second stroke the chain broke and landed down on the frame and flipped over the bars, catching my leg on the chainring on the way down. Hospital, stitches, etc.

So I'm trying to figure out why the chain broke. I've installed and resized a ton of chains in my time, including the same model chain on other bikes. I've never had a chain break on me and I've taken that jumping hardtail to the BMX track and laid some serious force down out of the gate, and also climbed some really steep hills with it. I'm guessing I may have just not pushed the pin back in quite right but is it possible that using a 1/8" chain with a ramped 9-speed 48t chainring caused the break? The other parts are being delivered today (35t Blackspire Mono Veloce SS ring, 14t Surly cog) and that new chainring should be thicker. I realize that the 2.53:1 gear ratio requires a little more strength in the chain but I've met some fixie guys that have ratios over 3:1 that have never had a problem.

Are there any other SS chains that are stronger? I thought about picking up a real BMX chain, or maybe even going to a fixie shop and getting one from them since its gotta be strong if they're trusting it as their only brake.

Here's the drivetrain specs, if it helps:
Soul Cycles Hooligan frame (EBB)
Shimano 48t ramped/pinned chainring
Surly 19t cog
SRAM PC-1 1/8" chain

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Could it have just been a bad chain? Is there absolutely NO chance that you might not have had the pin in just right?

I've broken a handful of chains in my day, and sometimes it was my fault (didn't have the pin set just so), sometimes it had nothing to do with me. Chains break... if this is your first one and you've been riding for any real length of time, consider yourself lucky.

There are SS specific chains out there, though I'm not sure there is any real difference between them and your typical shimano/sram chain. I'd say go with another Sram chain, maybe keep a spare in your bag/pack if you're paranoid and have at it. If you break 2 or 3 in a row, then consider laying down more cash for some other chain.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Could it have just been a bad chain? Is there absolutely NO chance that you might not have had the pin in just right?
Its definitely possible that I didn't have the pin in right. I'm beginning to think that's what it is since I usually mark the area where I'm going to remove/add with a red grease pencil and there's a pencil mark on the next link of the broken chain. I can't remember if that means the one I added broke or the one next to it but either way its suspect.

Next chain will definitely be beefier, the cost is about double but at only $20 for the pricier one I figure its worth it. I;m looking at this one now:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CH409D01-Khe+Collapse+Pro++Single+Sp+Chain.aspx

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I don't have any personal experience with this but I've read quite a few times on the intertubes that PC-1's are pretty crappy chains. A nice 8sp chain is probably your best bet.
Word. The PC-1s are junk. They're sold as a singlespeed chain, but I think their intended purpose is kids' bikes. I've never had one last longer than a month.

I've had good luck with 8-speed chains. Lately I've been running a KMC bmx chain. It's lasting longer than any chain I've used to date.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Def go 8 speed if you want to keep it lighter than running a full on bmx chain.. The 8 sp outer plates are thicker than a 9 sp, so more of the pin is grabbed.

Something else that might help is using a quick connect link instead of pushing/pulling pins in and out to make your connection.

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
I've had good luck with 8-speed chains. Lately I've been running a KMC bmx chain. It's lasting longer than any chain I've used to date.
i run the KMC bmx chain, they are dirt cheap (7 bucks) and i've gone over 3000 miles including races without a problem...and i frequently resize the chain for gearing changes.

if they are heavy, they are worth every gram IMO, especially for 7 bucks.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gonna go with the KMC Z610HX, its a 3/32" dedicated SS chain with supposedly the same strength of the $7 heavy BMX one.
Now I just need to get the stitches out so I can ride...:rant:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I have a KMC BMX chain on my SS. Mine came with a masterlink so no pins to push.
That masterlink (not PowerLink) sucks in my opinion but maybe I just couldn't figure out the best way to press it in. I could not for the life of me get the outer plate to slip onto the pins so I just use a chain tool.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Is it possible the chain was too tight? You seem to have plenty of SS experience, but I thought I'd throw that out there. It's easy to put a great deal of tension on a chain with an EBB. Also, if your rings aren't perfectly round, then forget it.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Is it possible the chain was too tight? You seem to have plenty of SS experience, but I thought I'd throw that out there. It's easy to put a great deal of tension on a chain with an EBB. Also, if your rings aren't perfectly round, then forget it.
I think I had it just right. I slacked it up with the EBB then backed it off a bit so there was some bounce in it without being able to derail. The chainring was brand new (although ramped and pinned) and the cog was almost new. I think it was just some faulty chain work on my part but I'm not going to be using PC-1's again just in case ;)

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Way late for this but I broke two or three PC-1 chains before I realized they were crappola. Went to a SRAM 8-speed and all smiled upon me. I still break 'em but get many miles out of them before I do. And I usually hear a link creaking a few miles before it snaps.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I ended up getting the KMC Z610HX chain, gonna put it in sometime this week. If that fails too I'll try the SRAM 8-speed.
Good thing I have insurance, the bill came for my ER work, would have been about $900 :eek:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Curious... why replace the 48-19 with smaller ring-cogs?
I mentioned in the original post that I already had a 19t cog. The only thing I had to mate it with to check my gearing was a 48t ramped & pinned Shimano ring. I wanted to get a dedicated SS chainring but my only problem is the cranks I'm using (leftover from an old bike) are 4x104mm BCD. I was actually surprised to find how few companies make anything bigger than a 104mm 38t SS ring without being super expensive. It was either shrink the front to sub-36 or buy new cranks, chainring & cog was cheaper than chainring & cranks.

I went with 35/14 cause I really liked the 2.53:1 ratio I got out of the 48/19. The new ratio is slightly lower, 2.5:1 but it was the closest I could come without getting a really tiny cog.

The idea of the bike was to spend as little as possible. That ended up not being the case. I slowly had to get a new chainring, cog, fork & wheelset. Oh, and chain ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Good points.

I only asked cuz I figured that a 38-14 is far more fragile than a 48-19, but I'm probably wrong.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Good points.

I only asked cuz I figured that a 38-14 is far more fragile than a 48-19, but I'm probably wrong.
Actually you're totally right, if I had it my way I'd still have a 48 on there but the ramped/pinned ring won't perform as well overall. That's why I didn't want to go any less than the 14t cog, less chain wrap puts more stress on each tooth.

Hopefully it'll be alright, at least if one of the rings slips it shouldn't send me flying over the bars again, it'll pop and catch on the next one warning me of what's to come.

I'm on the lookout for a nice cheap 5 arm crankset. I'd need a new BB too but it may be somewhere down the line. Good news is there aren't really any crazy hills near me that I'd want to climb on it anyway so hopefully I won't put everything under too much stress.

However when the time comes to get my new drivetrain it'll all be 1/8" so I can run the Izumi V Super Toughness!!

killthecar

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Word. The PC-1s are junk. They're sold as a singlespeed chain, but I think their intended purpose is kids' bikes. I've never had one last longer than a month.

I agree, KMC makes good chains. I ran one through the winter and its held together nicely. It's stretched a lot, but overall I would recommend one. I only paid 13ish for mine.