Quantcast

New Cannondale Heckler...I mean Prophet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
First, not all single pivots are created equal... Second, Santa Cruz was not the first, second, or twenty fifth company to use a single pivot.

Third, given that Cannondale's DH bike is a single pivot, and XC bike is a single pivot, and lightweight trail bike is a single pivot, why is it suprising that their 4x/trail bike is a single pivot?

edit: hmm, my last couple posts have been grouchy. Let me conclude this one with:

I sincerely hope you have a really great day :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zedro said:
yeah why the hell do people take SC for the genesis of mtb frame design...

i hear SC ripped of Huffy...
Dude, WTF are you talking about? The Bullit was the first single pivot bike EVER.

:rolleyes:

I honestly don't know why SC is so pegged as the "original", to which all others should be compared.. Pretty rediculous. I guess those who got into biking in the past several years have seen Santa Cruz in its hay day, with the popularity of the Bullit.. But sheesh, don't people understand that there was something before them?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hmmm. DW-link...low-pivot Turner DHR and Chumba F4...Yeti 303's wierd new rail system...yep, all Santa Cruz inspired.

Heck, with VPP, even Santa Cruz isn't ripping itself off anymore! Maybe single-pivot designs just stand out these days or something.

MD

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Say what you will. Santa Cruz has had a lot of influence on the industry because their bikes perform well and are not over priced. Companies like Cannondale, for example, have seen how effictive single pivot designs, especially with the new stable platform suspension, perform. It is problably cheaper to manufacture a single pivot bike.

Santa Cruz may not have been the first or even the 25th to design single pivot bikes, but they are definitly the best at what they do and the big boys are watching.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mtbike said:
Santa Cruz has had a lot of influence on the industry because their bikes perform well and are not over priced.
Very true, and completely unrelated to the post with which you started your thread, so don't get all hung-dog and hurt on us now.

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mtbike said:
Companies like Cannondale, for example, have seen how effictive single pivot designs, especially with the new stable platform suspension, perform.
So, you're giving Santa Cruz the credit for the fact that there's now a crop of SPV shocks that are a great benifit to single pivot designs? How about giving Curnett and Progressive the credit for bringing to the market a technology that allows single pivots to perform better?

The Bullit existed before SPV, but spec'ing it with a 5th Element shock was what turned the bike from a good seller into a great one.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Mtbike said:
...Santa Cruz may not have been the first or even the 25th to design single pivot bikes, but they are definitly the best at what they do and the big boys are watching.
Spoken like a true bullit owner. As was already pointed out, the 'big boy' in question has had several single-pivot bikes on the market already. Matter-o-fact, this single-pivot model displaces yet another single-pivot model.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
1. The prophet looks like a nice bike....but that lefty fork.....ewwwww

2. Their main part of the frame with the "double triangle" looks nicer than some other company's that use that same feature. Maybe its the proportions or colors or something. Are those Triangles Congruent?

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh single piviots might have been i guess you could say masterd by santa cruz but what is wrong with another company using the single piviot design. theres not. live my the saying if it aint broke then dont fix it. why would you want to improve on one of the best xc and freeride designs when it doesnt need it. and besides when you get to buying bikes of that caliper you have one company that you go to because you like them and cannondale knows this. so way to go cannondale for giving us more options and still keeping it simple for all of our lbs. :thumb:

(lose the headshock guys its just plan weird)

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Holy Crap is there negativity in the wires today.. someone needs to make a Emountain everyone can get out their frustrations riding on with their Ebikes so peace can return to boards.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Damn True said:
Ok, one entry level machine @ $1100.00
Hardly a comparison to the placement of the Prophet, though in the end, the two bikes will perform in a remarkably similar fasion.
You can tell that by looking at a picture?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
hey, question to anyone who can remember that far back, did cannondale actually have a single-pivot before SC? I remember old "super-v" type designs from the late 90s but memory kinda fails me at 5:30 on a friday afternoon. :) It's pretty funny that Cannondale has had the SuperV, the Jeckyl, the Gemini FR and DH, and then get branded a SC clone. That's some funny stuff. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dante said:
hey, question to anyone who can remember that far back, did cannondale actually have a single-pivot before SC? I remember old "super-v" type designs from the late 90s but memory kinda fails me at 5:30 on a friday afternoon. :) It's pretty funny that Cannondale has had the SuperV, the Jeckyl, the Gemini FR and DH, and then get branded a SC clone. That's some funny stuff. :thumb:
Yep, back in the day, C-dale had Super-V single pivots with big moto swingarms. The big swingarms were made of carbon. This was like '93ish when Santa Cruz was still making skateboards with green monsters on them.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Mtbike said:
but they are definitly the best at what they do
:p that's great. Sure they're nice bikes at a good price but to say they're the "best at what they do" is bringing it a little far.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Jeremy R said:
Yep, back in the day, C-dale had Super-V single pivots with big moto swingarms. The big swingarms were made of carbon. This was like '93ish when Santa Cruz was still making skateboards with green monsters on them.

Santa Cruz bikes is in no way affiliated with Santa Cruz skate. Other than being on the same street.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
me89 said:
yeh single piviots might have been i guess you could say masterd by santa cruz but what is wrong with another company using the single piviot design. theres not. live my the saying if it aint broke then dont fix it. why would you want to improve on one of the best xc and freeride designs when it doesnt need it. and besides when you get to buying bikes of that caliper you have one company that you go to because you like them and cannondale knows this. so way to go cannondale for giving us more options and still keeping it simple for all of our lbs. :thumb:

(lose the headshock guys its just plan weird)
Not to pick on you today, but didn't you just bash C'dale and the Gemini in another thread?

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
MikeD said:
Very true, and completely unrelated to the post with which you started your thread, so don't get all hung-dog and hurt on us now.

MD
Don't worry MikeyD, not hurt from words of any monkey. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
buildyourown said:
Santa Cruz bikes is in no way affiliated with Santa Cruz skate. Other than being on the same street.
Ha, Yeah tell that Rob Roskopp.
He was the pro skater back in the 80's with the green monster board I was referring to. Now, he works for Santa Cruz in their bike division and he has for years. He answered the phone one time when I called, and I was like Whoa dude, I had your board! :dancing:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Jeremy R said:
Ha, Yeah tell that Rob Roskopp.
He was the pro skater back in the 80's with the green monster board I was referring to. Now, he works for Santa Cruz in their bike division and he has for years. He answered the phone one time when I called, and I was like Whoa dude, I had your board! :dancing:
But production didn't occur at the same time. He left the skate board company to start the bike company. At least that what I remember from the interview a few years ago.

But it is the same guy but still very different companies.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Damn True said:
No, I can tell by riding them.
A single pivot is a single pivot is a single pivot, and to varrying degrees they will perform similarly.
in that they both have two wheels that will roll forward and a shock that absorbs bumps? then yes. otherwise, that is a ridiculous statement and you should know better. it's like saying an indy fab deluxe will perform remarkably similar to a sinister ridge because they're both hardtails.

we know you're a big FSR fan, but I could easily build (if not simply find on the market) you two FSRs that would perform closer to those two single pivots than they will to each other. Geometry and shock setup are numbers one and two. Everything else, including suspension design is a distant third. (although I will admit that the more travel you're talking about, the more important suspension design becomes)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn True said:
No, I can tell by riding them.
A single pivot is a single pivot is a single pivot, and to varrying degrees they will perform similarly.
Seriously man, you need to lay off the fsr crack pipe. If you really get down to it, there is only a very small range of axle path that specialized bikes even come close to doing what they claim. That is: 1) active when pedaling and 2) active while braking. I've been riding fsr bikes for almost as long as I've been on mountain bikes and can tell you this, they almost work but only though a range that just barely brackets the sag position on a horizontal surface. There are a few programs you can use to demonstrate this.

I buy the bikes because of geometry, build quality and the fact that they climb really well. I've also ridden many many single pivots that put fsr bikes, especially specialized bikes to utter shame when it comes to fast cornering and braking. And yes, fsr bikes are capable of braking like complete sh!t depending on where in the travel you are.

You're starting to sound like brian whenever someone mentions how much they like hayes brakes.

My bikes:

Norco shore (everything)
Spec enduro (xc)
Spec enduro (jumpin)
Turner DHR (oh my freakin gawd, the most abused suspension is a single pivot!!)

notice a trend? I like specialized and other fsr bikes but damn dude.....go ride some of the bikes you dismiss as "just another single pivot". When you got your job, did they give you any "special medicine?" ...Any "welcome to the team special electrical shocks?"

D

Dingus McGee

buildyourown said:

Actually, they shared Mr Novak at the outset, the 'N' in NHS, owners and founders of SC skates and snow and the whole apparel empire. I think he may still be one of Roskopps partners.