Quantcast

New Demo 7 pic..

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Screw the looks or paint jobs.
This is the only important sentence in that write-up:

"Lowering the frame weight became a priority for Brandon and the team as well as further lowering the centre of gravity, improving square-edged bump performance along with simplifying and lowering the cost of production."

A pound lighter, even lower center of gravity, improved square edge hits, and it sounds like it may be cheaper.
They can paint mine by covering it up with Dr. Phil stickers.

Luck Fooks. I just care about the ride.

Torrendo

Chimp
Jan 27, 2006
Spain
Hi, first post for me on RM

Don&#180;t like the new desing very much...apart fron the colours that may not be the production ones, that downtube is too far forward...prefer the old desing with the rib cage problem fixed.

What cought me eye was the brakes on the WC equipped Demo 8, new Avids, Hayes, 4 pots?

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
They are just doing what they should have done in the first place. The old Demo series was full of a lot of expensive technology (design and manufacturing), it was more of a 'look at what we can do' bike than anything else. So now after a couple of years they are trying to solve the problem more efficiently. Better late than never.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Jeremy R said:
Screw the looks or paint jobs.
This is the only important sentence in that write-up:

"Lowering the frame weight became a priority for Brandon and the team as well as further lowering the centre of gravity, improving square-edged bump performance along with simplifying and lowering the cost of production."

A pound lighter, even lower center of gravity, improved square edge hits, and it sounds like it may be cheaper.
They can paint mine by covering it up with Dr. Phil stickers.

Luck Fooks. I just care about the ride.

Sorry but that logic is all whack, otherwise we would all have very loving, caring, faithfull, UGLY wives/girlfriends.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Tarpon said:
They are just doing what they should have done in the first place. The old Demo series was full of a lot of expensive technology (design and manufacturing), it was more of a 'look at what we can do' bike than anything else. So now after a couple of years they are trying to solve the problem more efficiently. Better late than never.

:stupid: although the cast HT is fly

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Jimmy_Pop said:
Sorry but that logic is all whack, otherwise we would all have very loving, caring, faithfull, UGLY wives/girlfriends.
No, its simply function over form.
I have been around bikes for so long, that I think what looks "good" in a DH frame is the right design, geometry etc...
I care more about a low center of gravity than I do a paint job for instance.
And since you made the weak female analogy:
When I see a DH bike with a goofy high BB or a whacked out head angle, its like seeing a hot chick turn around with a cig in her mouth, and Tammy Faye's makeup kit.
It just ruins it.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I thought these were pre production bikes anyhow? Chances are some of the lines will get cleaned up, and the paint jobs won't be as crazy. Like Jeremy said, this:

is the only important part of the article because the cosmetics of the bike will change.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
SuboptimusPrime said:
If you read the article it clearly states that the downtube and graphics will be different on the production model...
yeah, they will probably find a way for it to suck even more. like an army of vacuums

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Zark said:
no more Demo 9 for '07. Interesting
Man that sucks that's what I wanted :(

Maybe the Demo 8 is just as good as the 9, but hopefully they beef it up a little bit as I thought that was the only difference between the 8 and 9 (well an inch of travel) but that the 9 would be suited better for bigger guys/guys who do drops etc.....

The Demo 7's look pretty close to an Enduro just with a more complicated rear end. The paint jobs though......ehhhh I don't like :rolleyes:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I don't care how you paint those bikes, they're still funny-looking. It'll be interesting to see if the prices drop significantly for '07, since the current Demos are ridiculously expensive.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I'm curious why they don't make an adjustable travel mode for the frame vs having 2 different frames. Give the new 8 a 1.5 head tube with adjustable travel like the Fly and call it a day. Saves on production costs, and unless the weight is hugely different should pretty much ride the same.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Monkeybidnezz said:
I'm curious why they don't make an adjustable travel mode for the frame vs having 2 different frames. Give the new 8 a 1.5 head tube with adjustable travel like the Fly and call it a day. Saves on production costs, and unless the weight is hugely different should pretty much ride the same.
I think they are turning the Demo 8 into more of a racer with an even slacker HA etc......
But I have to tell you, after having actually raced my 06 Demo this weekend, I hope they do not change much. I am loving that bike.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
they are looking kind of "mountain cycle".... and i abseloutly hate hate hate just how faggwety mountain cyclel looks, and yes i know its not the looks, its the ride, but i still hate the way the tubing is all big and bubbly

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Jeremy R said:
I think they are turning the Demo 8 into more of a racer with an even slacker HA etc......
But I have to tell you, after having actually raced my 06 Demo this weekend, I hope they do not change much. I am loving that bike.
Yeah, if the HA and maybe wheel bases were different for more FR vs DH geos I guess it makes a lot more sense.

I don't know if I'll ever get a 1.5 fork, but wouldn't mind having the bigger head tube on my D9 like the DHR. I think it would be nice if they speced both frames with 1.5....options are always nice.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
I played with the shock plates and i think i lowerd the bb height, Its at 14 inches i think. Ill post some pics later but I dont have any directions about what link plates do what i just guessed so im not sure what i accomplished. cya at etsu

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
stubby said:
I played with the shock plates and i think i lowerd the bb height, Its at 14 inches i think. Ill post some pics later but I dont have any directions about what link plates do what i just guessed so im not sure what i accomplished. cya at etsu
somebody snap a pic of Jeremy's eyes on that last straight...wanna see if he will have that "Peanuty log" look in his eyes again.