Quantcast

New DH bike for $4k - Suggestions?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I finally got the green light for a new DH bike. My budget is $4k, and it's not going to get any larger.

Criteria -
Low and slack geometry
Fox 40 (I have no desire to try another RS or Marzocchi)
Company must have great CS

That's really about it. I haven't had a dedicated DH rig since 03, and at my budget a frame + custom build isn't going to work, so I'm looking at complete bikes.

So far my choices are -

Transition Blindside - I'm a little worried about the low pivot, in my experience low pivots get hung up more often. Also not thrilled with the 135mm rear.

Yeti 303R DH - This would be ideal, and I'm pretty sure I can find a shop that will go down to $4k.

Is there anything else out there that I'm missing that meets my criteria?

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Turner DHR. Customer service stories I've heard make me think I will probably own one eventually.

Morewood has good CS too from what I hear (haven't had to contact them yet, my Izimu is still running strong!) They run on just 2 standard bearings, I just bought 10 for $20 on fleabay!

Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames, a nice deal. Lots of them out there too, so lots of spare parts and such.

I would consider going used - I built up my Morewood with a combo of used/new parts for well under $4k.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Might be tough to find this time of year, but poke around for a 09 Giant Glory. Full Saint with a 40. This will have to be a close-out as they're a lot more than 4k, but make the seller aware there's a new design on the horizon...

Finding a new complete bike at 4k with a 40 would be a good deal IMO.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Turner DHR. Customer service stories I've heard make me think I will probably own one eventually.
Turner would be nice, but I'd like to avoid piecing a bike together. When you add in shipping from multiple vendors plus the increased cost for each part it gets pricey. I'd like to go complete and then be able to go back to buying a new frame every couple seasons. Then maybe a new DHR :)

Might be tough to find this time of year, but poke around for a 09 Giant Glory. Full Saint with a 40. This will have to be a close-out as they're a lot more than 4k, but make the seller aware there's a new design on the horizon...

Finding a new complete bike at 4k with a 40 would be a good deal IMO.
I'm keeping my eye out for one. I don't think anyone would go for 4k, but if a shop had one they couldn't get rid of I could see $4200. The build is awesome, only thing is I'm not sure about the BB height. I've seen claims between 14.25 and 14.75, I'd need to find out for sure and ride it. One thing I'm digging on Yeti and the Blindside is the low bb.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I can personally vouch for Morewood. They definitely go out of their way to take care of you and I'll bet if you call over there and say "I have $4k to spend, what can you build me" that they will have something for you. [<- Don't hold me to that of course :D]

Their North American distributor phone number is 888.MTB.MORE - you should definitely give them a shout.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
check out the Intense 951, they have a killer full build kit for around 4K. sub 40lbs too
A 951 for $4k? I'd be all over that. Not seeing build kit pricing on their site yet. I'll try calling them, but that almost sounds too good to be true.

Their North American distributor phone number is 888.MTB.MORE - you should definitely give them a shout.
Thanks, I'll give em a call.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that 951 looks sick, and so does the glory DH.

I had a glory 0. The BB measured to 14.5 in stock form. I probably have a picture somewhere.

My riding buddy has a glory DH fairly stock (switched to minion DHF's and dropped even more). The BB measured to 14.25 before the tire swap. He probably has a picture somewhere. with 8.8inches, thats reasonably low.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
951's are pushing closer to 5k a buddy ordered one a few days ago and was told completes weren't available yet, all the parts aren't in stock yet.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got my Blindside with a Boxxer Team for $3,700 Canadian. Not sure what a 40 would have cost. The BB is pretty low though.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
A Blindside isn't truly a DH bike but a lot of people have been using them that way. Even talking to the Transition guys they'll tell you that it was originally intended as a freeride bike and will be kept as such in the line up after the TR450 is available.

Give the guys at Dropnzone.com a call and ask them what they could put together for you for $4000. I know they have a Yeti 303R-DH in the showroom right now but I don't know how they have it built.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
951 looks sick but I'd wait for the first long term reviews, especially considering the low weight of the frame. Not a crashers bike for sure.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
here is the forum on MTBR. it has the spec list and pricing:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=527281
God damn that's tempting. Really don't want a Boxxer though. Fox is one days shipping from me and their turnaround time is awesome. I had a terrible time dealing with RS CS when I was working in shops, don't really want to go there. That frame is just absolute sex though :banghead:.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
God damn that's tempting. Really don't want a Boxxer though. Fox is one days shipping from me and their turnaround time is awesome. I had a terrible time dealing with RS CS when I was working in shops, don't really want to go there. That frame is just absolute sex though :banghead:.
Buy the 951. Put a new 40 on a 0% credit card. Sell the new Boxxer. Pay off the 0% credit card. Ride your new bad-a$$ rig debt free :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Buy the 951. Put a new 40 on a 0% credit card. Sell the new Boxxer. Pay off the 0% credit card. Ride your new bad-a$$ rig debt free :D
Ah yes, that would make COMPLETE sense - however it doesn't take into account the wife negative-logic vortex. Wives are not rational beings, you and I understand that the above procedure is makes perfect sense, wives on the other hand open up the negative-logic vortex from which no sensible creative financing plan can escape.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Ah yes, that would make COMPLETE sense - however it doesn't take into account the wife negative-logic vortex. Wives are not rational beings, you and I understand that the above procedure is makes perfect sense, wives on the other hand open up the negative-logic vortex from which no sensible creative financing plan can escape.
This is true:(. I can't help you with that, unless you get the credit card in your name only and have the statement sent to your work address (assuming you don't work from home):thumb:.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Get a new wife.

My wife loves seeing new boxes of goods come to the door.

She also knows that some of those products are for her bike.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Wait till the end of the year and pick up a TR450. Sweet geometry reasonable price. Otherwise it would be hard to beat a Turner DHR, I am pretty sure the frames can be had at a reasonable price through Go-Ride.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My LBS just gave me a sweet deal on the 303R; should have it by the weekend. If anyone is looking for a Yeti around SF definitely give Big Swingin Cycles a call.