Quantcast

NEW DownHill spot in northern central PA, Ski Denton

Apr 1, 2002
NY
Last weekend I had the pleasure of visiting a new downhill spot in northern, central PA, Ski Denton. It was the first weekend open and this place has huge potential. It has the steep of Plattekill on the upper part of the hill and then open flowy fast on the bottom. Of course the trails arn’t marked the best and not fully worn in because of its virginess. The lift carries two bikes per chair and then a rider chair follows. The lift is slow but welcoming. The lift guys need to get a lil stronger to speed up the lift but they were doing just fine. The people running the place are VERY open to people building trails and did not show signs of limits. So far they have 2 teeters built and a couple bridges. More elevated stunts are def in the works. The lodge is open with bathrooms and a place to grab ski price food if needed. Also as you drive in on rt 6 there are plenty of gas stations and other signs of civilization. So you like to camp? FREE on site camping is allowed. Wana know the best part? $22/23 I believe, don’t quote me exactly, for an all day adult. Listen up bike shop employees! Part time shop guys, ½ price lift ticket, full time….FREEEEE!! A pay stub is required for proof. Ski Denton is on rt 6 about 45min west of rt 15. Please remember dont quote me on this info, call the place and find out for yourself. GO CHECK THIS PLACE OUT!!!!!!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Good to hear another review Dave. I was planning to head down last weekend but it didn't happen for a number of reasons. Probably won't make it until July now but it sounds like a good time.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
Mike B. said:
Good to hear another review Dave. I was planning to head down last weekend but it didn't happen for a number of reasons. Probably won't make it until July now but it sounds like a good time.

----def a good time! let me know, i will be going a lot.

also honestly a dh bike is not needed. well adjusted brakes will do fine.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
eastcoastzigzag said:
----def a good time! let me know, i will be going a lot.

also honestly a dh bike is not needed. well adjusted brakes will do fine.
all I got to say is You were missed at the open.....

Apr 1, 2002
NY
ViciousDHer said:
all I got to say is You were missed at the open.....

---sorry no pics form me yet. yea i missed the open and my peoples. cash flow just didnt allow. im so glad though, this place is going to be sick.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hmmmmm i live in pgh, how far is this place? north central PA is hard to get too...

i wish 7 springs would get it together...

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Seems to be about 2 hrs from State College. I think I'm going to have to check that out real soon.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
hmmmmm i live in pgh, how far is this place? north central PA is hard to get too...

i wish 7 springs would get it together...
don't see this happening...
i wish laurel mtn would get something going... better mtn & terrain... more grass roots...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
don't see this happening...
i wish laurel mtn would get something going... better mtn & terrain... more grass roots...

there would be a huge market in pgh, i would be there every weekend...

damnit i wish someone was listening...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Would there? When did pittsburghers all of a sudden start riding dh and coming out for events/rides?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
btw, laurel mountain is still by far my favorite riding area in all of western pa... it sure has changed over the years, but still really nice.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
Would there? When did pittsburghers all of a sudden start riding dh and coming out for events/rides?

Yeah the old school hidden valley races used to attract a big crowd...i used to race the slalom when i was 14 hahhah, im just saying there are alot of skilled riders looking for some dh style terrain but there is no lift access close to here...

If you build it they will come...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
btw, laurel mountain is still by far my favorite riding area in all of western pa... it sure has changed over the years, but still really nice.
You know i have never been there, you like it? Did a killer ride at Brady's Run Park in Beaver today...Rode some 15ft high bridge, super sketch...

There is a bunch of building going on...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah the old school hidden valley races used to attract a big crowd...i used to race the slalom when i was 14 hahhah, im just saying there are alot of skilled riders looking for some dh style terrain but there is no lift access close to here...

If you build it they will come...
I wonder if it's location-specific. Nobody ever showed up for blue-knob dh races in 2002 & 2003. The scene for dh/freeride/etc was very weak. I can count the # of riders on 2 hands.

I used to race junior expert xc @ hidden valley back in the day... w/ dobratz, jason hall(?) and some others... won a couple of times there too, but that was strictly XC riding. Last time I was back there in 2000 or so, all the trails were gone & had been replaced by condos. That hill is only 400ft vertical anyway - heh.

As for seven springs - I never really liked the layout of the place - the village is great, but the riding has always left something to be desired imo. The best trails were up on top of the mountain and extended out of the 7spring property...

Laurel mountain has some of the best xc trails I've ever ridden... it's probably best to go with someone that knows the trails. Sometimes they're mapped & have maps at the trailhead, but othertimes not... the riding starts at the various lots/pulloffs along the main road, not from the actal resort. The guys at speedgoat (base of the mountain on rt 30) will be able to hook you up with directions and suggestions on trails to ride. and it's closer to pgh than 7springs too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
I wonder if it's location-specific. Nobody ever showed up for blue-knob dh races in 2002 & 2003. The scene for dh/freeride/etc was very weak. I can count the # of riders on 2 hands.

I used to race junior expert xc @ hidden valley back in the day... w/ dobratz, jason hall(?) and some others... won a couple of times there too, but that was strictly XC riding. Last time I was back there in 2000 or so, all the trails were gone & had been replaced by condos. That hill is only 400ft vertical anyway - heh.

As for seven springs - I never really liked the layout of the place - the village is great, but the riding has always left something to be desired imo. The best trails were up on top of the mountain and extended out of the 7spring property...

Laurel mountain has some of the best xc trails I've ever ridden... it's probably best to go with someone that knows the trails. Sometimes they're mapped & have maps at the trailhead, but othertimes not... the riding starts at the various lots/pulloffs along the main road, not from the actal resort. The guys at speedgoat (base of the mountain on rt 30) will be able to hook you up with directions and suggestions on trails to ride. and it's closer to pgh than 7springs too.
In PA right now the scene is growing on the trails you can just see it, alot of drops/ bridge stuff popping up... 7 spring layout does sort of suck, but you can turn any ski hill into a freeride/dh spot...

Funny you say that, I ran into to dobratz a few days ago, he and i got lost over the winter doing a dirt rag stage race hahhaha...

Hijacking done, sorry east coast...Post some pics of this spot, i might check it out.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
maybe when my truck runs or something..i still go to diablo its an hour for me, and i can stay with my aunt and ride 2 days

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
dump said:
It's much easier to just move out of Pgh to a place that has riding than try to get any places going there. :thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DHanamal said:
It's much easier to just move out of Pgh to a place that has riding than try to get any places going there. :thumb:
spoken like a true pgh-expatriot ... someone that's been in the trenches (w/ me)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DHanamal said:
Trust me i had total intentions to, but the career situation im in right now will not let me leave, it would be suicide...

denton

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
We're not as far from Pittsburgh as you think - and the terrain has even more potential than laurel mountain. We're working on getting a photo gallery up on our web-site. Actually, we're new owners as of this past ski season, the web-site is one of many "upgrades" that is in the works. Hoping to gain alot of feedback over the summer from experienced riders so we can develop this area into something everyone will want to ride - come ride and your input is valued. The availabe terrain seems endless at this point.
A western NY group rode with us opening weekend - wrote a review on thier site with some pictures - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/gravityjunkies/

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I had a chance to ride Denton this past weekend and can easily say it is worth the trip/money/whatever. VERY fun trails. They seemed well balenced in that some parts were beyond steep, others were flowy and quick where pumping did more good then peddaling.

I would reccomend it to anyone. I'll def be going back.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds like you guys have the start of a really good thing.

i hope the owners are patient.
and are willing for it to start slow and gradually get bigger.
it's a slow process.

and i hope it doesn't turn into a mass uncontrolled trailbuilding catastrophy.
they might want to think about limiting the amount of people who build there. getting a dedicated group of core trailbuilders to ensure the long term rideability of the land.
poorly thought out downhill trails don't last long.
and my experience is that anyone can drag a rake down a mt. side and call it a d.h. trail.
but you need experieced folks who understand proper layout, drainage and erosion control. not to mention building with minimal maintanence in mind.

take a good look at snowshoe. and what the team there has accomplished over the couple of years they've been there.

best of luck to the people in charge.
we can't have too many places to ride.