Quantcast

New forks for n00bs

Warthog296

Chimp
May 15, 2010
Got my hands on a Karpiel Discovolante last year and intend to do some light DH and perhaps some dirt jumping. Its original fork, a Stratos S7, is toast, and I'm looking into getting a decent low-end 7" travel fork soon. I've been looking at both the Boxxer and the Fox 36 series, but I'm torn on whether a double-crown is really necessary. The other issue is that I've read the Boxxer '10 models will not accept an 8" brake rotor. Any thoughts on which fork might be more cost effective as a starter?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've read the Boxxer '10 models will not accept an 8" brake rotor.
wat? no...you have to use an adapter on it, so I think it's safe to assume you can use 7 OR 8" rotors...I have an 8" now.

I would suggest either a current gen Boxxer Race, or previous boxxer team. The previous gen will be wildly cheap and do everything you want it to. The current gen Race is about as good as the previous gen forks, and you can upgrade it later.

As for single crowns, I have no idea what's currently out, but I rode both a Totem and 66 and liked them much...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Is there any word out yet on the Domain dual crowns yet?

I really really hate to admit this but my domain 318 performed really well compared to my 2-step totem. It was a bit flexier and had a harder time tracking when the going got really rough but for something less than half the price it's a great product.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
my idea: someone should design forks with a steerer tube that is square at the top(keep the bottom round though) and also have a stem that is square at the steerer tube hold so then we woulsnt have to try so hard to get their front wheel straight with the front wheel. is there a reason a company hasnt done this yet? what do you guys think :lighten:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I head just exploded. You mean a company should direct a stem that doesnt rotate on the steerer? It is called a direct mount stem and you dont need another steerer standard for it.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I head just exploded. You mean a company should direct a stem that doesnt rotate on the steerer? It is called a direct mount stem and you dont need another steerer standard for it.
DM stem doesn't work too good on single crown fork though, does it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you could make a splined steerer, which would solve your problem, but with everything made in china, there's no way that it would ever come out straight. not in a million years.