Quantcast

New Fox DH fork

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
This weekend at Schweitzer I got many good looks at the fork working on the course. It looked more active then any fork I have seen. Now i'm interested. does anyone know how much $$$ or when it's going to be available to normal people?

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
66 said:
This weekend at Schweitzer I got many good looks at the fork working on the course. It looked more active then any fork I have seen. Now i'm interested. does anyone know how much $$$ or when it's going to be available to normal people?
I read somewhere that it would be available sometime in October/November. As far as pricing, I haven't got the slightest idea. My best guess is that it would be around $1.4k. :think:

Here is the link to the '05 FOX DH FORK

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Did you get a chance to ride a bike with that fork?

EDIT: Or perhaps talk to the riders who have the fork? Specifically for pros/cons about the fork performance and comparision to other forks currently on the market....

It looks like its got potential. I'm pretty interested to see how it pans out since the weight and adjustability options available looks pretty good.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
nope. just watched it work. I have a little video that demonstrates it's action next to a couple other standards on the same spot. I also know how my dorado worked on the same spot. after this weekend, i think for next years bike will have the 888 or the fox.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
cali4niabiker said:
EDIT: Or perhaps talk to the riders who have the fork? Specifically for pros/cons about the fork performance and comparision to other forks currently on the market....
LOL what kind of answers would you expect to hear from sponsored riders on fully custom, handbuilt prototypes?

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
anyone like me find this fork look ugly?

Maybee you can think I'm a poser, but I am not the only one thinking this fork is not appealing. My LBS friend think it may sell less because of the look of this thing.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Sub 7 lbs. with 8" of travel and 40mm stanchions!!!

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for a rider of my skill level. They should include in reviews things like:

1. How well the lowers hold up to bouncing off of rocks and trees.
2. How well the arch holds up to major twisting forces when the bars are driven into the ground

As far as I know the 2000-2002 Monster T still holds the title for these two categories.

We'll see how this fork fairs once the general DH population starts riding them although at that price level General Population may be severely limited.

Suspension prices are going both directions. I could go out and pick up a brand new 2004 Super T today for $550 without any sponsorship or shop deals. It's still an extremely capable DH fork. If I wanted the high end I could probably find a 888 for $900. Thumbs up to Marzocchi for this trend.

On the other side of the coin you've got the Dorado selling for Avalanche DHf prices, possibly this new Fox DH fork in the same ballpark and for 2005 a SC air fork, "Nixon", priced at $850!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
66 said:
nope. just watched it work. I have a little video that demonstrates it's action next to a couple other standards on the same spot. I also know how my dorado worked on the same spot. after this weekend, i think for next years bike will have the 888 or the fox.
How can you tell just watching the fork go by? Geometry, rider weight & position, line choice, CoG will all play huge rolls that will make just watching it pointless. Way to many variables to draw any kind of conclusion.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
What is actual MSRP on a 888? $1400 I think. I know the shiver was $1400 when it first came out. Now you can pick a 888 up for 800-900. Judging by other fox fork prices, I wouldn't be suprised if the dh fork retailed for $1600-1700. If you wait a few months the hype will settle down and prices will become reasonable.

As for asking riders how the fork worked, since everybody who has one got it for free, I'm sure they are think it is the best fork they have ever ridden. ;)

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Matt D said:
How can you tell just watching the fork go by? Geometry, rider weight & position, line choice, CoG will all play huge rolls that will make just watching it pointless. Way to many variables to draw any kind of conclusion.

I'm not saying i have decided that the fork was good just from watching it. but i can say the front wheel was on the ground more of the time then others. it got my attention. say you have a Judy DH on bike 1 and a 888 on bike 2, both bikes ride past you and you watch the way the fork moves, could you tell which one would be a better fork?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
66 said:
I'm not saying i have decided that the fork was good just from watching it. but i can say the front wheel was on the ground more of the time then others. it got my attention. say you have a Judy DH on bike 1 and a 888 on bike 2, both bikes ride past you and you watch the way the fork moves, could you tell which one would be a better fork?
Yeah, but you are talking about Pros here.
They even make boxxers look like they work! ;)

I would wait for an honest review or two, and then go from there.
Same thing for all these long travel air forks as well.
Those things are sounding like great wallet emptiers.

Step right up, Step right up,
Get you a single crown fork marked up so high that only an SPV Dorado can appreciate it. :devil:

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Bulldog said:
LOL what kind of answers would you expect to hear from sponsored riders on fully custom, handbuilt prototypes?
Its not so much about the answers that will do the trick. Its a matter of knowing small things like "oh, we've had some problems with it and needs to be tuned..." Stuff like that will give you an idea of how reliable it is. People tend to be honest about it when you ask straight up.

-CAbiker

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
66 said:
LOL, how does a fork "look active" ?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
cali4niabiker said:
Its not so much about the answers that will do the trick. Its a matter of knowing small things like "oh, we've had some problems with it and needs to be tuned..." Stuff like that will give you an idea of how reliable it is. People tend to be honest about it when you ask straight up.

-CAbiker

They aren't paid to tell the average schmoe about problems with products.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Damn True said:
LOL, how does a fork "look active" ?
are you asking a question or mocking me?

if you are asking a question, imagine watching the wheel pattern. it kinda goes up and down, right? maybe by active i mean, it goes up and down more.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I too found the new look to be rather appalling, the color is hideous too...I expressed this to the Fox rep up at Crankworx, and he said the finished product would have smooth lowers very similar to their single crown offerings...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
cali4niabiker said:

-CAbiker

Good sponsored riders aren't honest. If they were, they would be talking smack about half of the product they run.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
66 said:

if you are asking a question, imagine watching the wheel pattern. it kinda goes up and down, right? maybe by active i mean, it goes up and down more.
A Boxxer looks pretty active when its damper is blown but I wouldn't say it's a good thing.

As good as Buhl's Fox feels though, I'd still rather have the Showa on Greg's bike... and the 6 engineers that tune it.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
66 said:

Mostly mocking you, but in a good natured way.

I saw a photo of a bike today that looked like it was falling rate and it seemed flexy. lol