Quantcast

**new** Fox DHX proto

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Doesn't look very nice to me...

Huge piston axle and the huge tank for the oil and air... I'm sure this will be worst with cavitation than the older one (or will be running higher min pressure on the tank) So will be a more progressive shock probably and less sensible.. But this are just my personal thoughts...

I think nothing can compare right now to twin tube tech... But... lets wait for first real opinions to come...

dont know if any of you have seen this yet?

sicklines is filled with new juicy parts right now :biggrin:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Its about time they do something to change it up and make it better. I bet this is not the only Prototype you will see this year. In the early 2000's when Fox was testing what is now the DHX there were about 3 to 4 different Pototypes out there that all looked different. If they are smart it will have a H/L Adjs for both R and C.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
*Waits patiently for a specific unnamed friend of mine with ridiculously tight lips to step in and unload all his wisdom on us, now that the cat's 2 paws outta the bag.*

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
:eek:It's a good thing the Sunday is done after 08, or we'd probably have another shock specific link to buy.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I like the bike! I wonder if thats the best platform to test that shock on though.
right, because that's the only bike one of those is mounted to...

this shock has been on top Fox factory rider's bikes for months now. i am suprised it took this long for people to notice. beaumont, all three atherton's and a host of other wc riders have been testing it all spring in europe and photos have been up on the internet for quite some time

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
right, because that's the only bike one of those is mounted to...

this shock has been on top Fox factory rider's bikes for months now. i am suprised it took this long for people to notice. beaumont, all three atherton's and a host of other wc riders have been testing it all spring in europe and photos have been up on the internet for quite some time
Athertons even state it at their website for quite some time. They also have a Float proto for their 4x fullys.

If I'm not wrong nico had also some proto DHX in the 07 season. Not sure if it was it.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Its about time they do something to change it up and make it better. I bet this is not the only Prototype you will see this year. In the early 2000's when Fox was testing what is now the DHX there were about 3 to 4 different Pototypes out there that all looked different. If they are smart it will have a H/L Adjs for both R and C.
It is impossible to have a true high and low speed rebound adjuster. The Cane Creek Hi/Lo rebound is just a compression adjuster working on compression when the shaft extending (rebounding)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It is impossible to have a true high and low speed rebound adjuster. The Cane Creek Hi/Lo rebound is just a compression adjuster working on compression when the shaft extending (rebounding)
That's what rebound damping is, genius - damping in the direction opposite to compression.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I like how you guys assume just because its a proto that it must be awesome.

When in fact most protos of parts suck and have problems, hence the many revisions.

And on top of all that its a DHX. Which is rapidly being sent to the bottom of the list of good shocks.

Oh and the piston being so big isn't necessarily a good thing. It creates more friction on the larger seal, and is just a bandaid to try and make a monotube shock perform better. It should not be stressed so there is no "stiffness" gained by having it bigger.

Oh and can't forget this:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I like how you guys assume just because its a proto that it must be awesome.

When in fact most protos of parts suck and have problems, hence the many revisions.

And on top of all that its a DHX. Which is rapidly being sent to the bottom of the list of good shocks.

Oh and the piston being so big isn't necessarily a good thing. It creates more friction on the larger seal, and is just a bandaid to try and make a monotube shock perform better. It should not be stressed so there is no "stiffness" gained by having it bigger.

Oh and can't forget this:
first off regardless of what this damper is being labeled as, i can assure you it is NOT a DHX, and it's nothing like it.....so comparing it to one is retarded....its a total departure.....good job making assumptions based on the past......

also, re: larger piston......you're wrong

a larger piston means larger orifices for oil to pass through, meaning more control and adjustment available via shims...the oil will also break down less quickly because it isn't being forced through such small holes......

re: stiffness gained from a larger piston......

you're wrong again....the piston itself is not stressed by side to side load, but the glide ring around it(piston band?) is a larger one and will create more lateral stiffness....

oh yeah, i might add, i think you're way off track in saying that proto stuff "sucks and has problems"......one of the sickest forks i had ever ridden to this day was a prototype......

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
standard moto style hi/lo speed compression clickers....the largest diameter shaft i've seen as of yet.....

LOOKS cool to me

also, that silver adjuster looks cool to me to, but that's because i already know what it does
I'm not so sure that's a Hi-Lo adjuster. The knob looks similar to the old Boost Valve adjuster which was knurled and had holes in it to make it easier to turn under pressure. It would be cool if it adjusted the preload on the Boost Valve and had a separate bleed circuit.....kinda like a Hi-Lo adjuster, hmm.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I'm not so sure that's a Hi-Lo adjuster. The knob looks similar to the old Boost Valve adjuster which was knurled and had holes in it to make it easier to turn under pressure. It would be cool if it adjusted the preload on the Boost Valve and had a separate bleed circuit.....kinda like a Hi-Lo adjuster, hmm.
hmmm....a mutual friend said it was hi/lo....but he's been wrong in the past....can't wait til all of this "stuff" unveils!

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
In theory you are 100% correct as the force on the shock is consistent due to the linear nature of the spring [forgetting shock rates and spring curves for the time being], and thus the shaft speed can not change.

BUT what shock mfg's generally refer to when they claim high/ low speed rebound is the shaft displacement/ undisrupted flow of oil through the rebound circuitry. When the rebound circuitry is "overwhelmed" by a large flow of oil [long rebound stroke] this causes the oil to bypass the main circuitry and divert to a secondary circuit. By offering adjustments on these two circuits one is able to fine tune their "high/ low speed" rebound.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
In theory you are 100% correct as the force on the shock is consistent due to the linear nature of the spring [forgetting shock rates and spring curves for the time being], and thus the shaft speed can not change.

BUT what shock mfg's generally refer to when they claim high/ low speed rebound is the shaft displacement/ undisrupted flow of oil through the rebound circuitry. When the rebound circuitry is "overwhelmed" by a large flow of oil [long rebound stroke] this causes the oil to bypass the main circuitry and divert to a secondary circuit. By offering adjustments on these two circuits one is able to fine tune their "high/ low speed" rebound.
No, that's pretty well all wrong. The force on the shock is NOT consistent, it is linearly decreasing through the rebound stroke (moving from bottom out to top out). All hydrodynamic dampers are speed sensitive, however because the maximum speed the shock can return at is dictated by its position in the stroke (it will always reach maximum speed somewhere close to bottom out, heavier rebound damping means this speed will be reached closer and closer to bottom out), it can be somewhat legitimate to call the high and low speed rebound adjusters start and end stroke rebound adjusters. Oil displacement has nothing to do with any rebound circuits on any shock (unless they use a control valve a la SPV, DHX etc in rebound, which none do).

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here y'go:

Gee Atherton's Commencal, Maxxis Cup, Gouveia 2008.

And Dan's:

Note his front tyre.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
first off regardless of what this damper is being labeled as, i can assure you it is NOT a DHX, and it's nothing like it.....so comparing it to one is retarded....its a total departure.....good job making assumptions based on the past......

also, re: larger piston......you're wrong

a larger piston means larger orifices for oil to pass through, meaning more control and adjustment available via shims...the oil will also break down less quickly because it isn't being forced through such small holes......

re: stiffness gained from a larger piston......

you're wrong again....the piston itself is not stressed by side to side load, but the glide ring around it(piston band?) is a larger one and will create more lateral stiffness....

oh yeah, i might add, i think you're way off track in saying that proto stuff "sucks and has problems"......one of the sickest forks i had ever ridden to this day was a prototype......

He's talking about the shaft diameter, fox made it bigger to displace more oil through the adjusters. More oil through the adjusters makes the adjusters have a greater effect, making it easier for riders to tune the shock to different bikes.

I agree that it does seem like a bit of a band-aid fix, a twin tube shock like the double barrel would be better for for tuning one shock to different bikes, as the lower reservoir pressures and smaller shaft would create much less friction inside the shock.