Quantcast

New frame ideas

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I am thinking about replacing my Transition Gran Mal with something a little different. Overall I like the frame, but after owning the Bottlerocket I really like the low slung feel. The GM is set-up as a FR bike and I want to stay in the FR style bike as opposed to a race specific frame.

The last ride I took it on at Highland Mountain (NH) I know how my BR handles and I took the GM instead. Overall I rode fine but I felt that the shorter wheelbase and lower cockpit area of the BR just handles better. My riding style is a lot of drops to transitions. I don't race and I don't plan to but I want something that just handles a bit better. Looking for something in the 7-8" travel area. The current build is at about 42lbs and most of that weight is the frame. So really just about anything will be lighter, but not a primary concern.

So what is out there for frames to get me started so I can invest some research time and compare geometries etc. I have basically 3 requirements for a new frame:

- 150 x 12mm rear end. I have a brand new DT 440/823 wheelset and I don't plan to replace.
- 83 mm BB spacing. Brand new Saints. Again not switching.
- 1.5" headtube. Brand new Totem 1.5.

So can you guys give me some ideas that will meet the three requirements?

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Devinci Frantik fills your requirements nicely. I'm not 100% on the 83 mm BB shell. You could double-check that.

http://www.devinci.com/11020_an.html

Edit: I just checked my bike and it is indeed an 83 mm BB-shell. It's a very nice bike that would be perfect for what you describe.

Last edited:

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
how bout the builit? So your want the bottle rocket but just bigger? Norco 4xx? Intense slope style? intense uzzi? I hope this helps

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Commencal furious seems exactly what you are looking for. 12x150 and 1.5 head are there(dunno about bb) and the bike has an amazing geo.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I like the Cove STD, but not the 14lb weight. The Devinci looks alright. I need to check them out.

I will check out the Commencal and Corsair as well.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I like the Cove STD, but not the 14lb weight. The Devinci looks alright. I need to check them out.
14lbs? Really? My Shocker weighed in at 12.5lb for a medium with a steel spring, I figured a bike w less travel might weigh a bit less...