Quantcast

!new Frame?

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
Hey y'all,
what would you buy if you outgrew your bike frame? what frame would yo buy?
But it needs to be under $1000. $1000 MAX!
It doesnt matter if its full suspension, or hardtail.
I just outgrew my current frame sadly, and am looking to just buy a new frame, since I am happy with all my components. I need something that could run a Fox Float 140. Thats pretty much all, but I want it light as can be.

got any recommendations?

THANKS A LOT GUYS!

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I found a frame that I REALLY like. I havent ridden one, but it sounds like its just what I need from what people have said about it. It is a BMC bike, I have never had any experience with them at all. have any of you dealt with BMC's customer service? It is called the 07 BMC Trail Fox 1.0 Here is the info on it...

The Trailfox features a custom-butted Ultralite aluminum front triangle with carbon/aluminum swingarm, 120mm of smooth suspension travel and a DT Swiss SSD-190L shock with lockout. You will find no better value for a long-travel all-mountain machine.

Frame
Custom-butted Ultralite aluminum front triangle
Carbon/aluminum swingarm
120mm travel
Includes a Zero-stack headset
Accepts 31.6 seatpost
Requires a Top pull, high clamp 34.9 front derailleur
68mm Bottom bracket shell
Disc mounts only

Suspension
Rear
DT Swiss SSD-190L rear shock with lockout
One of the lightest shocks 190 grams
Automatic negative chamber
External rebound adjustment
Lockout lever

BMC suggest a fork in the 110-140mm travel range to complement your new frame.

Weight
19" Frame w/ Shock & headset 6.55 lbs

THANK YOU!!!

Attachments

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I like the BMC but it is not a light frame. Since you want it light, I would recommend trying to find a high end used XC frame like a Turner, Ventana, etc.
Otherwise, there are many hardtails out there in that price range.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
im still liking the idea of the BMC. I ride pretty rough places, and its XC, so climbing back up is a REAL pain. I just did 16 miles at a place called the frederick watershed. its sick. I fell a lot, and most of it was because my back end was flying around the trail. I want a full skeeshie now. something with longer travel like the BMC, but relatively light. preferably under 6 pounds. and I have lowered the price range to $800. I looked at used frames, but couldnt find too much. I like the new gary fishers, but they are pricey. Any other recommendations are highly appreciated. let me know what you think of my thoughts, thank you.

-Ben

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Look used. You'll get a better frame and have more options. You can probably find something like a Cannondale Prophet for less than 800. You won't have a warranty, though.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
has a not-so-light frame up:

Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC Team Frame

$840.
One of the guys from my LBS offered me his 2006 Rocky mountain ETSX-50, with wear and tear, for $500. I have read lots of positive things about the bike. please let me know what you think! :twitch:

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+ETSX-50.html?BIKE=399&Y=2006#2

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/freeride-full-suspension/rocky-mountain/etsx-50/PRD_363282_1543crx.aspx

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/content/reviews_of_rocky-mountain-bikes.php?articleshow=612

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
i had a steel jamis dragon pro. as long as you have a pretty light buid it compensates for the steel and the steel frame dampens ALOT of the bumps

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
im going with the rocky mountain, he was nice enough to hold it. I should be getting it in a month or two! totally psyched! im also going to get a bashguard, which means even more ground clearance. :D so, if you have any opinions on my decision, let me know. thank you!

Feb 17, 2009
check ebay for diamond back mission frame. i got one medium frame w/a fox float r for 450 bones not a bad deal and should mate just fine too a 140 fork.